As A Child, What Was Your FIRST Sign Language?

I think my Mom said that my 1st spoken word was 'mama' then my 1st signed word when teachers came to my house to work with me on learning signs before i started school was 'apple' :)

As for my two daughters, both learned 'mama' then 'ily' when their hands were able to do it well. Those two are still their most favorite signed words ever. I get the ILY sign way more than them actually saying ILY. It works out great when in public, like at their school & you know how kids doesn't wanna shout out "I love you Mommy!" they can just wave & sign ILY and no one has to hear them yell it out to me. :)

As a child, what was your FIRST sign language that you had learned or what was the FIRST sign language you had taught your baby/child?...

I taught all my three boys when they were 1 years old the sign of " ily "....

What about you guys?...

All of my kids (I have 7) learned the sign for milk first. All but one signed it at around 8 months, but with my fifth child I wanted to see just how soon I could get him to learn that sign so I started signing it from day 1. (Both my husband and I are hearing, but after taking an early childhood developement course in college I knew sign language would really be good for babies to learn) so with this child I really worked hard signing milk all the time when it was time to nurse. Now my receptive skills are nowhere near as good as my expressive skills in ASL but my husband is opposite. His receptive skills are much better. So one day when my son was 5 and 1/2 month old, I was sitting on the couch with my hubby, reading, and I looked up to see my son, who was lying on his back with both arms raised straight up in the air and making the sign for milk.
But because my receptive skills are bad, I said to my hubby, "Look honey, he is doing something in a repetitive manner! But I've never seen babies that age do things in a repetitive manner! My husband looked up and got very excited. He said, "Hey! He's signing MILK! You've been working on that since he was born!" Of course I jumped up and fed him right away!:giggle:

Back