Aren't we wasting time with HAs...

Even so, if you read any threads of posts made by CI users and their experiences (namely Contradica, Lucia, Lotte and others who'se name escapes me at the moment) - it's clear their hearing level increased greatly after being implanted with CI. Almost invariably everyone can hear more than before with their HAs.

Of course there are some unfortunate exceptions like PuyoPiyo, or Smithr, but that's not the CI's fault that the desired hearing level wasn't achieved.
Or maybe the better level of hearing WAS achieved, but comprehension is another story, and some implantees reqqire more work than other.
Usually those with decent spoken language comprehesion do well quite quickly after implantation. This is particularly true for late deafened.

I am pretty sure if you can understand speech now, you would understand even better with CI, But that's my opinion.

Fuzzy

Well, I'll just speak from my experience. I wore HAs when I was at 9 months old and started speech therapy at a very early age as well. Of course, I was told I hated my hearing aids at 9 mos old.. what would all toddlers do to an item or device that's really annoying??? break it, tear it up... etc. well I continued to wear HAs throughout the school years, I can speak really well, I can hear alot of sounds. with that said, my hearing loss without my HAs are over 100 db. I'm profoundly deaf. Very deaf. alot of people have said I'm hard of hearing which I'm not.

Most people don't realize that its alllll based on how you were taught at a young age and start off from there would have a better speech and hearing. Some parents were told that their deaf child will NEVER hear, be DEAF and DUMB, DEAF and MUTE.. and there was no way to teach them to hear or speak. its a fact. Most parents are very motivated and very understandable with what the child wants or need. like for Cloggy... Cloggy is very very anxious to have a "hearing" child and she's the love of his life and he wants her to hear. so She has a CI so she can become "hearing". I truely don't believe that a deaf person can become hearing. not in this lifetime. but we all can improve our deaf ears to hear some sounds that we've never heard of before. By using digital HAs, CIs whatever is there.

now.. back to my experience.

I've had HAs my whole life and last year I just got 2 new Digital HAs for the first time and I hated it at first because I wasn't used to the sounds. It was always my ole regular hearing aids that I've gotten used to. I can hear better with my digital HAs but my speech is still the same. I have a very good friend that uses CI, she's had the CI since she was 11 and still using it now. she can't speak well but she can hear some sounds. She practically thought I was hard of hearing. she was shocked that I can hear and speak better than her. with a CI... it takes alot of time to pick up sounds and learn to speak. same with HAs. I would personally never get a CI... I'm not just to up and go get a CI because I want to hear better.

the main point is... like cloggy's daughter.. she has a very good chance to talk and hear better than maybe any of us because she's young. However, Its all based on education at a early age to learn to speak and hear. not have anything to do with the HAs, CIs or others. It varies on each individuals and parents on how much they want to learn and participate. The deaf child will more likely have a better education and have intelligence where the he/she can fit in in the same grade school.. not behind, not low levels.

also.. some people are just comfortable with HAs than CIs.. not because they're against CIs. Some people are just anxious to hear better so they have a CI. which is fine. it varies how each individuals' feelings.

as for you, audiofuzzy.. i think you need to get over it. we have wants and needs.. not the same as you want or need. you are your own person.

ITS ALL BASED OF THEIR AND OUR COMFORT ZONE!

Well, I'll just speak from my experience. I wore HAs when I was at 9 months old and started speech therapy at a very early age as well. Of course, I was told I hated my hearing aids at 9 mos old.. what would all toddlers do to an item or device that's really annoying??? break it, tear it up... etc. well I continued to wear HAs throughout the school years, I can speak really well, I can hear alot of sounds. with that said, my hearing loss without my HAs are over 100 db. I'm profoundly deaf. Very deaf. alot of people have said I'm hard of hearing which I'm not.

Most people don't realize that its alllll based on how you were taught at a young age and start off from there would have a better speech and hearing. Some parents were told that their deaf child will NEVER hear, be DEAF and DUMB, DEAF and MUTE.. and there was no way to teach them to hear or speak. its a fact. Most parents are very motivated and very understandable with what the child wants or need. like for Cloggy... Cloggy is very very anxious to have a "hearing" child and she's the love of his life and he wants her to hear. so She has a CI so she can become "hearing". I truely don't believe that a deaf person can become hearing. not in this lifetime. but we all can improve our deaf ears to hear some sounds that we've never heard of before. By using digital HAs, CIs whatever is there.

I've had HAs my whole life and last year I just got 2 new Digital HAs for the first time and I hated it at first because I wasn't used to the sounds. It was always my ole regular hearing aids that I've gotten used to. I can hear better with my digital HAs but my speech is still the same. I have a very good friend that uses CI, she's had the CI since she was 11 and still using it now. she can't speak well but she can hear some sounds. She practically thought I was hard of hearing. she was shocked that I can hear and speak better than her. with a CI... it takes alot of time to pick up sounds and learn to speak. same with HAs. I would personally never get a CI... I'm not just to up and go get a CI because I want to hear better.

the main point is... like cloggy's daughter.. she has a very good chance to talk and hear better than maybe any of us because she's young. However, Its all based on education at a early age to learn to speak and hear. not have anything to do with the HAs, CIs or others. It varies on each individuals and parents on how much they want to learn and participate. The deaf child will more likely have a better education and have intelligence where the he/she can fit in in the same grade school.. not behind, not low levels.

also.. some people are just comfortable with HAs than CIs.. not because they're against CIs. Some people are just anxious to hear better so they have a CI. which is fine. it varies how each individuals' feelings.

as for you, audiofuzzy.. i think you need to get over it. we have wants and needs.. not the same as you want or need. you are your own person.

:gpost: I couldnt have said it better! I am in the same shoes as u are...my dB levels are at 120 and people think I am HOH. LOL!

:gpost:

As for me, I love my CI and it's been a big help to me but I also can't discount the experiences of smithtr or others like him nor can I discount Shel90's experience with students whose CIs failed them. I think it's awesome that Lotte can speak to cloggy on the phone. However, I have a sense of disquiet when I think about Lotte's 2 year language delay. There's going to be problems down the road with school due to her language delay if this isn't addressed.

As for me, I love my CI and it's been a big help to me but I also can't discount the experiences of smithtr or others like him nor can I discount Shel90's experience with students whose CIs failed them. I think it's awesome that Lotte can speak to cloggy on the phone. However, I have a sense of disquiet when I think about Lotte's 2 year language delay. There's going to be problems down the road with school due to her language delay if this isn't addressed.

Agreed..even being delayed by a year can really impact a child's academic progress in some ways. So many skills are needed when it comes to literacy and too often children who have been deprived of language have so many gaps in their skills. Teachers try to fill in all those gaps but it is up to the children to maintain them and if their memory skills werent developed properly, it can be very difficult for them to maintain those skills unless they use them on a daily basis. That is why summer breaks are so hard on those children's academic development especially if they come from homes where communication is practically nonexistent.

Lotte still has time. she's 2, right? if I'm correct.. she has 3 more years to pick up some more and be fitted into kindergarten along with the other classmates. she still got the chance and time to learn.

I've seen CI people have faile to hear, some have succeeded. HAs same thing. it's only a matter of time how or when we were taught to speak and hear.

Lotte still has time. she's 2, right? if I'm correct.. she has 3 more years to pick up some more and be fitted into kindergarten along with the other classmates. she still got the chance and time to learn.

I've seen CI people have faile to hear, some have succeeded. HAs same thing. it's only a matter of time how or when we were taught to speak and hear.

Yes, she has time..some kids pick up and skip over a few years in development...some do not. It depends on a lot of things. My problem in my experiences is that many of the parents expect the CI itself to solve their children's delays and remain in denial about it.

No,she's either 4 or 5. I can't remember which. And she is 2 years delayed.

The many happy and excited posts made by many CI users here made me think - aren't we wasting time settling for HAs when better and better CI is available.
Sure it requires surgery but the quality of hearing is without hesistation so much better.
So why still settle for HAs?

Fuzzy

What about those hoh people alike my grandmother in law, she is almost deaf and too old for CI but she needs HAs.

Thanks for correcting me.. but still.. she's young and can catch up.

But a 2 year delay in a child who is 4 or 5 requires a lot of remedial work. It doesn't correct itself. Its not one of those things that time corrects. It is estimated that for every year of language delay, 2 years of remedial work is required to overcome it. Shel can probably attest to this with the language delayed kids she works with. So you are right, she can catch up, but only if the issues are addressed now, and with intensive effort. And, from experience and education, I'd say probably not with an oral only approach. A child with a 2 year langauge dealy needs a language rich and intensive environment.

The point is I dont feel like I am wasting time with HAs. U did start this thread asking why we are wasting time with HAs and I explained my feelings.

No I asked AREN'T we wasting.

AREN'T.

as in are we or are we not ???????

Fuzzy

:gpost: RebelGirlie!!!

No she's five now i think.

If you have insurance questions or denials ask Let them hear. They may be able to assist you. letthemhear.org

I don't have the insurance right now. Enrollment is open for insurance through my job, but, before enrolling I want to be absolutely sure this insurance will cover implants, etc. There's 3 different plans for this particular one and I'm not sure which one to choose, so I need to figure that out first before I even apply/enroll for the medical benefits. The different plans are just confusing me, so I want to get the info straightened out first, with Human Resource, before deciding on enrolling.

Yeah, I used to share your feelings when I could still use hearing aids. I just wasn't interested in CIs at all, as I was satisfied with my hearing aids, even though they weren't perfect and I always had to lipread to understand speech. But then things changed and I lost the hearing that was needed by the hearing aid to work and it was too painful to wear it. It was only then that I saw CIs as an option and have been pleased with my results, which has been signficantly better than with my hearing aids. But do I feel like I was hard done by with my hearing aids before? No. I just see it as a life enhancing progression from where I was before and I am really happy that I had the option of CIs when hearing aids were no longer an option. The extra things that I can hear with the CI such as being able to use the telephone was just a bonus to me.

So as you say we are all different and we go through progressions and life stages in every aspect of our life. Another person in my situation who could not wear a hearing aid might have just been happy not to wear anything at all and that decision would have been right for them.

That's why everyone's adult choices should be respected and is highly personal.

Yeah, I used to share your feelings when I could still use hearing aids. I just wasn't interested in CIs at all, as I was satisfied with my hearing aids, even though they weren't perfect and I always had to lipread to understand speech. But then things changed and I lost the hearing that was needed by the hearing aid to work and it was too painful to wear it. It was only then that I saw CIs as an option and have been pleased with my results, which has been signficantly better than with my hearing aids. But do I feel like I was hard done by with my hearing aids before? No. I just see it as a life enhancing progression from where I was before and I am really happy that I had the option of CIs when hearing aids were no longer an option. The extra things that I can hear with the CI such as being able to use the telephone was just a bonus to me.

I can well relate R2D2. Never thought I get a CI until HAs weren't doing the trick anymore. Now, here I am looking back on an amazing journey.

FOr myself, I am still happy enough with my hearing aid alone, but I don't feel that it is enough for me. I struggle on a daily basis to understand what is being said. I can't LISTEN alone, I need visual support. And when it comes to lipreading, well gee, I need to hear in order to read lips so I can make the connection. I can't rely on one without the other; I need them both. And I used to be able to LISTEN without needing much visual support when I was a kid. But now, I feel maybe the CI could help me more than my hearing aid currently does, with environmental sounds and hearing speech sounds better. Now, I am a candidate for a CI, and I do want to pursue getting one (in my right ear; as my left ear is basically not an option, surely that cochlea is way ossified by now and I haven't heard a single sound in the left ear since I became deaf nearly 20 years ago). Only thing blobking my path right now is insurance, but I'm working on it. Once I get the insurance taken cared of, then I'll get in contact with the CI audie in Denver and go from there.

For a bit more of my background: I had meningitis when I was 2 years old which resulted in my severe-profound losses in both ears (extremely profound in left). Months later I was fitted with hearing aids once my family were able to afford them. They also had me in preschool pretty quickly too so different teachers/specialists could work with me on listening and speaking again and such. My parents also encouraged using sign language (despite warnings from so called "specialists" saying I would never speak again if I continued to use sign language....). By the time I was ready to enter Kindergarten, the whole family uprooted and moved to Casper just so I could attend the Wyoming School for the Deaf, and that school had made a huge impact on me. I started talking again, regularly went to speech therapy, was trained on how to listen and lipread, continued learning sign language.... And they also worked with me on my English/Spelling/Grammer and everything else (I was more advanced than other deaf students that were in the same grade as I was, even advanced than older deaf students). Throughout high school, for the most part, I was able to rely on my listening and lipreading skills to understandwhat was going on, and would glance over to the interpreter if I missed something.

Now, the last few years, I'm not hearing as well as I want to, no matter how many times my hearing aid is adjusted. It is Phonak's Supero digital hearing aid, and it is pretty powerful. And it's been adjusted so many times... The first few weeks after an adjustment seems like an improvement, but then I'm back to base 1, basically. It was high school when I started to really get into the whole cochlear implant research for myself, But then, I thought I would implant my left ear and just leave my right ear as it is. But after I was evaluated and declared a candidate, I was told it's possible my left ear may not be implantable at all... need a CT scan to confirm ossificaition in left ear, and because of the fact I haven't heard a thing in my left ear, even with a hearing aid, since I was 2, and during the hearing tests I got NO results at all with the left ear (if there is no ossification, then why is my left ear getting no results at all?). But I'm at that point where I don't mind having my right ear implanted, if it'll help me to hear. I know, it takes time and a lot of work/effort to make the CI work, but I'm willing to work at it.

I can well relate R2D2. Never thought I get a CI until HAs weren't doing the trick anymore. Now, here I am looking back on an amazing journey.

Yes, exactly. I've had problems with recruiment for many years; that was the only reason why I've switched to CIs. I wanted to be able to hear without that awful ringing.

You seem to have started wearing your HAs very early- (9mo old!

Most people don't realize that its alllll based on how you were taught at a young age and start off from there would have a better speech and hearing.

I realise that very well - I am an example of this. but I am also saying if I was given a chance to have CI in place of my HAs back then I would almost certainly have much better hearing and speech now- much, much better

Cloggy is very very anxious to have a "hearing" child and she's the love of his life and he wants her to hear. so She has a CI so she can become "hearing".

I don't see it this way - Cloggy doesn't want to have "a hearing child", Cloggy want's Lotte to have hearing for her own benefit. Cloggy unconditionally accepts his daughter the way she is.

I truely don't believe that a deaf person can become hearing. not in this lifetime.

I don't think anybody tried to claim otherwise.

but we all can improve our deaf ears to hear some sounds that we've never heard of before. By using digital HAs, CIs whatever is there.

That is exactly what everyone is saying.

I have a very good friend that uses CI, she's had the CI since she was 11 and still using it now.

well I have no way of knowing medical and other circumstances of your friend. To have a success with CI many factors are involved. If she was implanted at 11 YEARS old and/or before she could hardly hear anything even with her HAs, then she missed the "window of opportunity" and more. as for now - like I've said - I don't know her history - how hard everyone was working with her to achieve the best benefits after surgery etc.

she can't speak well but she can hear some sounds. She practically thought I was hard of hearing. she was shocked that I can hear and speak better than her.

but that is NOT suprising - you didn't miss the "window...", and you seem to have been encouraged to hear and speak a a lot in your home

with a CI... it takes alot of time to pick up sounds and learn to speak. same with HAs. I would personally never get a CI... I'm not just to up and go get a CI because I want to hear better.

I agree, it takes a lot of time but then it may be far, far more effective than HAs.
Of course I am not telling you to go and get one.

the main point is... like cloggy's daughter.. she has a very good chance to talk and hear better than maybe any of us because she's young.

I agree.

However, Its all based on education at a early age to learn to speak and hear. not have anything to do with the HAs, CIs or others.

No, it also depends VERY much whether it is CI or HAs because CI enables to hear sounds that HAs doesn't.

It varies on each individuals and parents on how much they want to learn and participate. The deaf child will more likely have a better education and have intelligence where the he/she can fit in in the same grade school.. not behind, not low levels.

I agree about parents and motivation, not sure what you mean by "the same grade school"?

Of course I know and respect that.

Get over what?

Fuzzy

Back