Are there any new treatments for tinnitus?

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
From rock concerts to fireworks on the Fourth of July, exposure to loud noise can raise your risk of a common hearing disorder. A viewer wants to know whether there are any new treatments for this disease that affects more than 50 million Americans.

It's tinnitus, pronounced tin-EYE-tis, or also correctly pronounced TIN-uh-tis. People with it literally hear things that aren't there, from roaring, buzzing or clicking sounds, even the noise of fireworks or the buzz of a plane. These are phantom sounds in their head. Sounds than can cause anxiety, depression, even trouble sleeping.

"We don't really know what causes it. There are many different theories," explains Dr. Jay Piccirillo, an otolaryngologist at Washington University School of Medicine.

They include exposure to loud sounds, a build up of ear wax, certain medications, jaw misalignment, even heart disease or sinus infections. Unfortunately, there is no treatment that makes the sounds go away.

"You know we're trying different drugs, different options, different therapies but as of right yet no major breakthroughs."

Doctors often prescribe medications to treat the anxiety, depression or insomnia. They basically help people learn to live with the sound. Experts also recommend some preventive measures, like avoiding loud noises.

"Protecting your ears is important and then the usual things - get enough sleep, avoid caffeine and alcohol, perhaps chocolate - some things that you find that stimulate your tinnitis. Try to avoid those situations," advises Dr. Piccirillo.

Researchers are experimenting with some drugs that may help tinnitus. But so far, there's nothing promising on the horizon.

"And I know that's frustrating, it's frustrating for both parties, I know that all of my colleagues would like to be able to do something more than just say learn to live with it or avoid loud noise.

By Kay Quinn

I've got tinnituas but it usually acts up only if I'm VERY stressed!

I am also suffering from tinnitus for last few years. Earlier I had worked in noisy manufacturing unit for 12 years and also having residence in noisy place.I have tried several medicines but little relief and now used to live with ear noises. :wave:

Back