Are people usually willing to learn signs?

camerachick26

Reaction score
I'm single right now, just got out of a 2 year relationship about a month ago. My ex boyfriend was never willing to learn sign language with me. I've lost over 75% of my hearing and it's fading pretty fast. I'm worried someone might now want the work of learning another language (signs) when they can hear. Are most guys usually willing to learn signs for their girl so that they can communicate? Experience or advice with this?

Do not wait 3 or 4 months to find out if a guy is willing to learn ASL. You should be able to answer that question on 1st or 2nd date and then figure whether to invest your time in that guy or open another door.

when you meet new people and tell the truth about your hearing loss. Let the guys decide to continue seeing you or not. if he continues to see you then more likely to be willing to learn ASL and be patient to learn more about you.

But if you speak/hear/lip read on the first dates, he may not really appreciate the need you have/will have for signing. So you may not be able to tell that soon if he would really learn, or if he is just saying what he knows you want him to. I would say you will know when he signs up for a class, pays, and shows up a few weeks in a row.

Hey, if I met (and liked) a girl that mostly only spoke Spanish, you can bet your booties that I would be studying up on Spanish! There are guys out there that will bend over backwards to learn your language. Just be patient and be yourself, that way you will attract they kind of guy that you can be yourself with and will be willing to learn your language.

In my evil side, I would poison my mate to become deaf. Then she will MUST learn sign language in order to survive. Unless, you want to spend in underwear. No problem!

I'm willing to learn ASL, and I'm not dating a deaf guy..... Everyone is right, there is a guy out there who will be willing and ready to learn ASL.... There is a guy who would be willing to risk everything in his life, just to spend the rest of his life with you. Unfortunately, I haven't found my "risk everything" guy yet, but I totally believe he is out there and I will find him one day!!!!

:) :) :) :)

*I live by this belief....."If it is meant to be it will be, whether it happens now, in 10 years, or 10 minutes before you take your last breath, IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!"

The learning curve is pretty steep so a large amount of hearing people do not invest the time to learn sign.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

The way I see it, anyone who doesn't think it's important enough to meet me halfway in terms of communication isn't worth my time.

I'm Hoh/Deaf. I speak very clearly (which is misleading), however signing is MUCH easier for me. I don't expect them to become fluent overnight, but I expect that they'll WANT to learn ASL, and take learning and using it seriously.

The foundation of any good relationship is being able to communicate with and understand each other, and for me, that means using both English and ASL.

I was with my ex for 14 years and he never used it with me. He learned some of it earlier in the relationship but still didn't use it. I begged quite often, but he still wouldn't.

Now my requirements are that anyone I date must take the initiative to not only learn, but USE sign language with me, completely of his own accord, or else there is no future for me and that person. In fact, I have decided if I don't see at least an attempt at sign language by the second date, I will cut them loose.

Unfortunately, my experience so far has been that no one has made an effort.

Yep. All good advice. Don't waste your time on guys who are lazy and selfish. Too lazy to learn or too selfish to care about your needs.
Cultivate deaf/hoh relationships and you will meed deaf and hoh friendly folks there. Themselves, friends, relatives and who knows? Maybe one of them will see *you*.

Do not wait 3 or 4 months to find out if a guy is willing to learn ASL. You should be able to answer that question on 1st or 2nd date and then figure whether to invest your time in that guy or open another door.

I'm single right now, just got out of a 2 year relationship about a month ago. My ex boyfriend was never willing to learn sign language with me. I've lost over 75% of my hearing and it's fading pretty fast. I'm worried someone might now want the work of learning another language (signs) when they can hear. Are most guys usually willing to learn signs for their girl so that they can communicate? Experience or advice with this?
For someone like me, i am willing to learn. i just got out of a barely two years old relationship cos i developed bilateral deafness. I think i need someone to carry me along here now

I am willing to learn ASL and possibly be the 'risk everything guy', what do you think? I just developed bilateral deafness about two months now, so if you will teach me. Sure wont take you much.............

The learning curve is pretty steep so a large amount of hearing people do not invest the time to learn sign.

Yes.

This also means that many people will tell you they want to learn sign, and they *mean* it when they say it, but they don't know what they are saying in terms of time, effort, and getting over that learning curve. So don't depend on promises, only accept serious action.

Would the reverse question: why would a "signing DEAF" person "want to interact" with a non-signing person in the first place-offer any "interesting insights"?

As mentioned before I am bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

Would the reverse question: why would a "signing DEAF" person "want to interact" with a non-signing person in the first place-offer any "interesting insights"?

One time, I had a deaf person who would text me like 2 times one day, 3 times the next day, then zero the next day, then maybe 1 time the next day. I hate this. It's not enough communication to get to know the person.

My hearing girlfriend texts me every day. She texts me quite a lot!!! We feel the connection.

Attraction.

When one person is attracted to another, he/she will need to communicate with that person.

But, you do bring up a good point though...I don't think I know of anyone taking speech classes in order to be able to speak with someone they are attracted to. It is a lot easier to learn ASL than it is to learn how to speak well.

Imagine the anger & shock that would follow if you were attracted to an attractive hearing girl, and she said to you "If you want to date me, you need to learn how to speak well".

Back