Are Digital Hearing Aids Better Than Analog?

Doug5

Reaction score
whats the general consensis?

They are more expensive, but they do have more benefit if you can afford them.

Not in reliability. To have directional hearing and automatic changes in different situations. You really should get an audiologist to explain. They would be better qualified.

Actually Botti, it varies tremendously. Some people adore digitals, and some people really get a lot of benifit out of analog aids. It's very hit or miss. My suggestion, is to try analog first, and then try a digital. See what you like about each one.

Digitals has been much better for me than my old analogs . there is a big difference in sound quality and adjustment flexibility

whats the general consensis?

I have no idea. You have to talk with your audiologist. I never have a digital HA before. I am wearing an analog. But I will get a new HA soon.

I wore both, analog and digitals. To me, they both sound the same. There was just a slight difference as in sound quality. Other than that, it's nothing compared to what my CI can do. All hearing aids, even digitals, amplifies sound. If you have a lot of residual hearing, it will help you tremendously. For me, I lost 20% of my residual hearing within the last two years. Hearing aids will do squat for me.

So...some people love digitals, others love analogs. It's a personal preference. It doesn't mean one is better over the other.

I notice little thingies now that bother me but just little, like at times not enough basse low freq boost, and then compression, I guess I should go get tweeked a little

I found that the digital ones I tried didnt have the crispness and clarity in speech that my old analog one did have.

So I retuned them. Speech is my big problem.

I found that the digital ones I tried didnt have the crispness and clarity in speech that my old analog one did have.

So I retuned them. Speech is my big problem.

Digitals require some time to adjust if you are a long time analog user .. I was an analog user for 17 years and then I switched to two digital aids .. it took me seven months to get used to the digitals and bilateral hearing :D

Man I would love bilateral hearing, nice one.

My audi offered a 28 day trial of the digital aids, I went back to him about 6 or 8 times for adjustments but I would have to pay the full amount after 28 days so I returned them and went back to analog.

I liked digital myself because in certain situations, I could change program to tune out the sounds or whatever.

I have a digital hearing aid. And its sooooo much better than the old ones where you'd have to adjust it yourself instead of the computer. My hearing aid has a auto volume in it. If the room gets really loud it turn down itself, if the room is quiet it turns up itself. In my school when the lunch room is really really loud it turns down to quiet mode and i'm able to hear what my friends are talking about. My hearing aid also works by a remote by changing programs and turning the volume up and down. My old hearing aid sucks. Because i can't hear loud thigns enough. My old hearing aid is 11 years old, i got it when i was 3. Now my new one is about a year old now i think. But its still new. And i love it so much!

Actually Botti, it varies tremendously. Some people adore digitals, and some people really get a lot of benifit out of analog aids. It's very hit or miss. My suggestion, is to try analog first, and then try a digital. See what you like about each one.

I think you are wrong. Digital is much more versatile. I think analog is going the way of the horse and buggy. A thing for Luddites before too much longer.

I am pretty old and have a lot of experience with both.

Back