Anyone who is deaf but has hearing aids?

StarryGirl

Reaction score
I'm just curious to hear from anyone who is profoundly deaf but has hearing aids.. I'm deaf but I have hearing aids but nobody else out of all my deaf friends has hearing aids too..

Yeah, I'm deaf and wear hearing aids. i've met several other deafies who wear hearing aids. I don't think it is uncommon.

Ah really? That's cool! Yeah it's a bit uncommon where I live.. =P I'm curious, can you hear clear words and sounds or it is just static and random sounds?

Clear words? Not really, I'm good at guessing and filling in the gaps. Paying attention to the context of what's going on around me, what people are likely to be talking about, what they said recently, lipreading, etc. Somehow, I can communicate with people one-on-one in quiet places, but still require a lot of repeating. Clear words? Not really. I might get lucky and understand someone correctly the first time. But none of it is clear as in crystal-clear.

Not sure what you mean by static and random sounds. From the hearing aids? I can sometimes pick up feedback and electrical sounds from lights and devices. Sometimes I hear sounds and I'm not sure what they are. A lot of things sort of "sound the same" to me, so like with conversation, I have to try to figure out what it is likely to be.

Clear words? Not really, I'm good at guessing and filling in the gaps. Paying attention to the context of what's going on around me, what people are likely to be talking about, what they said recently, lipreading, etc. Somehow, I can communicate with people one-on-one in quiet places, but still require a lot of repeating. Clear words? Not really. I might get lucky and understand someone correctly the first time. But none of it is clear as in crystal-clear.

Not sure what you mean by static and random sounds. From the hearing aids? I can sometimes pick up feedback and electrical sounds from lights and devices. Sometimes I hear sounds and I'm not sure what they are. A lot of things sort of "sound the same" to me, so like with conversation, I have to try to figure out what it is likely to be.

Yeah I often pick up feedback =P and I can understand people when it's quiet or if it's one-on-one too~ but it's just sheer guessing for me too =P

Profoundly deaf since birth, hearing aided right up until 20's, Analouge hearing aids were loud enough, although it was just whitewash sounds, i could pick few sounds but never speech/quiet sounds or my own voice, in my 20's i got first digital hearing aids and loved it, it gave me better clarity but not perfect but it did its job, roll on to my late 20's needed new hearing aids (i didn't lose any more hearing), tried 3 different digital hearing aids none was working for me so got CI in the end.

i have two but hate them i don't wear them,i could hear sounds with them but not what people were saying rather how deafbadger describe it.

yesh. I'm profoundly deaf in my right ear, profound to no response in my left. I haven't worn an aid in my left in 6 years, but the aid my right is no longer powerful enough, lost more hearing. So basically I'm wearing an aid that's designed for moderate to severe hearing loss in an ear that has profound loss. Not good, everyone sounds like Tellatubbies at the moment, or like they're talking around the corner in a different room from me. But!!! I'm getting a new one shortly, I will update after I get it how much clarity of speech I'm getting with the new ones.

I'm wondering though if since I wasn't born with hearing loss and my loss didn't start until I was 20 if I have an easier time recognizing what I'm hearing.....or better able to guess or something like that.

yesh. I'm profoundly deaf in my right ear, profound to no response in my left. I haven't worn an aid in my left in 6 years, but the aid my right is no longer powerful enough, lost more hearing. So basically I'm wearing an aid that's designed for moderate to severe hearing loss in an ear that has profound loss. Not good, everyone sounds like Tellatubbies at the moment, or like they're talking around the corner in a different room from me. But!!! I'm getting a new one shortly, I will update after I get it how much clarity of speech I'm getting with the new ones.

I'm wondering though if since I wasn't born with hearing loss and my loss didn't start until I was 20 if I have an easier time recognizing what I'm hearing.....or better able to guess or something like that.

Yeah I can understand~ most of the time, people sound like Teletubbies or something like that to me =P That's good to hear that you're getting new ones! =)

Yep, I hear the vowels fine, it's the consonants that get tricky lol

I'm almost there since I have a moderate/severe which was slopin to severe (ski slope, crazy enough 4 you?) and yeah, I wear a powerful hearing aid in which U can see on my pro pic!

that why i was given aids because i was born hearing it was thought the residual of hearing i had which were sounds it was hoped i would hear tone just gave me headache and sickness and stressed me.i rather preguess lip read and sign,with the aids i could make out vowels sometimes

I'm almost there since I have a moderate/severe which was slopin to severe (ski slope, crazy enough 4 you?) and yeah, I wear a powerful hearing aid in which U can see on my pro pic!

Ah nice! I have purple hearing aids too lol =P I think I got my first hearing aids when I was about 18 months old (my parents were suspecting that I was deaf and didn't want to not take any chances)

B, C, D, P, T, Z! Lots of fun! lol

My dad was from Russia and they do not 'H' in their alphabet. My dad use to give me speech lessons when I was a little girl and I did not have a HA yet. Dad would have me count to the number three, dad would say , One two, tree and have me repeat him. And when I said One two, tree dad would say "good girl!"
My older sister and brother would standing in the doorway and ROFLTAO .

I have trouble with th, ch, sh, z ,s ,etc!

My dad is from Russia and they do not 'H' in their alphabet. My dad use to give me speech lessons when I was a little girl and I did not have a HA yet. Dad would have me count to the number three, dad would say , One two, tree and have me repeat him. And when I said One two, tree dad would say "good girl!"
My older sister and brother would standing in the doorway and ROFLTAO .

I have trouble with th, ch, sh, z ,s ,etc!

Russia? Nice~ =) yeah I used to say "tree" as three when I was little XD
Yeah I'm having trouble with R and S.. >.<

Back