Anyone do gardening?

Roam4Life

Reaction score
Does anyone do gardening? If so, what do you plant? Does anybody make homemade salsa?

sadly i dont have "green thumb" -- any plants i try to grow tends to get killed unintentionally! :(

*raises hands* I do garden.

When I moved to Utah from NJ, I left my garden behind. :-( It was mostly decorative plants such as yuccas, red-hot pokers, daylilies, etc... It also had Spring and autumn flowers such as tulips, crocuses, etc... It would be impossible to list all the plants in my garden without going though several lines!

My dad grows vegetables, principally tomatoes, peppers, lima beans and cucumbers. I don't grow any vegs here cos I live in an apartment, so I'm pretty much limited. My bf does grow some vegs and herbs though.

I have a small flowering garden in front of my door, but it basically looks half dead due to lack of water and the heat in Utah. After all the rain we had recently, the plants started looking better again. Weird.

Grew up in the country with my grandparents. Yeah, they have garden in backyard. size like football field or more!

In my opinion, Garden tomatoes taste very rich than any tomatoes u buy from the store.

In the future, hope i have own home with big yard. so i can do gardening.

Fly Free said:
sadly i dont have "green thumb" -- any plants i try to grow tends to get killed unintentionally! :(

:lol: Same here. :P I have a black thumb -- cos everything I have planted in the garden has died...never thrived and grew big. :( Oh well, heh.

But my husband does like gardening and with his help, we did grow a few vegetable gardens in the past -- have had roma tomatoes and normal tomatoes, potatoes, capsicums (green and red peppers)...they all were yummier home grown than store bought. :)

i plan to do some garden next spring.. i wanna try to grow few sweet corns...

I can't garden to save my life....so I surrender my weed pit for anyone who wishes to test out their green thumb. ;)

I do gardening. My boyfriend and I planted cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, green pepper, jalapenos, sweet corn, and tomatoes. At first I thought they would fail because they didn't really grow that much... but my mistake, my garden is sooo huge! I had like over 30 cucumbers and still counting -- too many for just two of us so we usually give them out to my bf's family and my family. We have 5 watermelons now, lots of japalenos and green pepper, we already froze 5 sweet corn and ate 4 of them so 9 in total, and red tomatoes are popping up. There is Beefsteak and Early Boy n' Girl. They are good for canning. So, we are going to make a salsa from the tomatoes and maybe can some stewed tomatoes. But unfortunately - our cantaloupe died. :( Gardening is so much of fun and need lots lots of patience! :) I totally agree that garden tomatoes beats store tomatoes. They are sooo extremely delicious and juicy! I'm tomato freak! Heh heh

also i forget add this one.. corn oooo taste sooo fresh and sweet!!!! PERFECT! i like put in grill and cook corn.. yummy!!! :)

since u said u grow sweet corn.. can u give me some tips to grow them? since i never had done it and i plan on doing it in spring...

DeafSCUBA98 said:
since u said u grow sweet corn.. can u give me some tips to grow them? since i never had done it and i plan on doing it in spring...
Just read the direction on the back of the seed package :) It will tell you how depth you should plant the seed. Once it start to grow.. More than a foot high - push the dirt up to its stalk and keep doing it once in awhile as it grows. Because you know the corn is tall if there is no support to hold it straight up it might will topple over. As you see the farmer there is lot of dirt bumps (i dont know what is the right word for it) But you get an idea... When the husk seems big enough, you can open it little bit and see if its yellow enough - if not then close it and wait more longer. :) Hope you'll grow a good one!

Roam4Life said:
Just read the direction on the back of the seed package :) It will tell you how depth you should plant the seed. Once it start to grow.. More than a foot high - push the dirt up to its stalk and keep doing it once in awhile as it grows. Because you know the corn is tall if there is no support to hold it straight up it might will topple over. As you see the farmer there is lot of dirt bumps (i dont know what is the right word for it) But you get an idea... When the husk seems big enough, you can open it little bit and see if its yellow enough - if not then close it and wait more longer. :) Hope you'll grow a good one!
thanks.. u got right.. :) i was not expect he asked me QQ i was busy recently but thanks!!! :thumb:

My grandparents does the gardenings. My grandma does plant the flowers. And my grandpa grows corn, melons, watermelons, tomatos, sweet potatos, regular potatos, carrots, celebry, strawberry, raseberry, blueberry, grape, cailflower, brocci, onions, cabbage, cummbers (sp) and pumpkins. :mrgreen:

I work in landscaping so I pretty much do it all times. Me and my father grows peppers, tomatoes, mexican herbs(for tea drinking), and a couple plants good for soup. We also have a walnut tree around the house. Nearly all around place is full of plants and some for eating.

enjoyed gardening.. made anything from garden. hmm. I really enjoy herb gardening like basil, cilantro etc.

I like houseplants like aloe vera, orchid.

I love gardening, tho we don't have one. I hope to get a rent house or something so I can have a cute little garden to start with. ;) I have a few houseplants, about 4 of them now. A yellow tower cactus, aloe vera variety, 2 other I forget the names of the house plant. :)

I love gardening, I would like to do that when Sequoias and I move to a place with the backyard then we could start it. I would want to grow ALOT and ALOT of cucumber :naughty: I love to eating them :giggle:

Back