Anybody lives in North Carolina? I have a question.

If you'er trying to avoid racism... racism exists everywhere, it just manifests a bit differently depending on your location.

KKK has been happen in rest of south, even some are in entire of US.

I don't about you, but I never met one in my life. Now I have heard racist comments (especially when it comes to their family's love life) but that happen anywhere.

I used to live in Randleman area which is in central NC and I had to say, I will never again live in North Carolina. I am white, and I do not understand why black people run into problems with me. I was closed to get involved with fights for no apparent reason, glad that I was sitting in van with all door locked.

Yes I do saw KKK compounds and they don't have problem having me around and I didn't want to get involved.

Now you see, I am not crazy about NC, with one exception, the Outer Banks which I never had problem there.

Now I am happy to be back in Upstate New York!

DHB

I used to live in Randleman area which is in central NC and I had to say, I will never again live in North Carolina. I am white, and I do not understand why black people run into problems with me. I was closed to get involved with fights for no apparent reason, glad that I was sitting in van with all door locked.

Yes I do saw KKK compounds and they don't have problem having me around and I didn't want to get involved.

Now you see, I am not crazy about NC, with one exception, the Outer Banks which I never had problem there.

DHB

Yet your story somehow got me to thinking more carefully, most of my family live here now. It's just that if I step one foot on KKK compound, they'd wield their weapons to beat the holy hell out of me and left me dead. Mind you, I'm black guy here, it's just that I'm looking for a safe place to live to recovering myself from this bad economy.

DHB

probably culture difference with you in the south. Maybe you acted odd and they saw it as disrespectful. If you grew up around them, you'll know how to act. They are probably used to southern manners. I never had a problem with them

That is a possiblity, I was just minding my own business, also other possiblity is that we both were white in a company (Its obviously) van waiting for red to turn into green. These black may be pissed off that our company won't hire black, I don't know. However that tone had turned me off about living in NC.

I have no problem with black as long as they do not have negative attitude which I am not going to say here.

DHB

probably culture difference with you in the south. Maybe you acted odd and they saw it as disrespectful. If you grew up around them, you'll know how to act. They are used to southerner manners. I never had a problem with them

Understood perfectly clearly :) And if I were in your shoes, I would do same thing.

DHB

Yet your story somehow got me to thinking more carefully, most of my family live here now. It's just that if I step one foot on KKK compound, they'd wield their weapons to beat the holy hell out of me and left me dead. Mind you, I'm black guy here, it's just that I'm looking for a safe place to live to recovering myself from this bad economy.

and I think they will go to jail. Why don't you find any reporting of KKK beating a black man for the past few years. More likely KKK use words than sticks these days.

Reporting means almost nothing, trust me. Because in the court, they want to see hard evidence not just word of mouth. Soft evidence usually don't merit in the courts. That is why have to be very careful with reporting because of retalation involved.

DHB

and I think they will go to jail. Why don't you find any reporting of KKK beating a black man for the past few years. More likely KKK use words than sticks these days.

That is a possiblity, I was just minding my own business, also other possiblity is that we both were white in a company (Its obviously) van waiting for red to turn into green. These black may be pissed off that our company won't hire black, I don't know. However that tone had turned me off about living in NC.

I have no problem with black as long as they do not have negative attitude which I am not going to say here.

DHB

Any company that practices discrimination should be tarred and feathered and run out of town! I wouldn't be "proud" to work for a company that refuses to hire blacks, nor would I work there. Not the right thing to do....

I know, that company is very strong protestant and thank god I no longer work for them. They have betrayed me and I was close to sue them. Because I found out that NC has weakest protection for employee (Labor law sucks), I just moved on and live back in New York. Glad I did because I ended up found better job (Takes a while to reach).

DHB

Any company that practices discrimination should be tarred and feathered and run out of town! I wouldn't be "proud" to work for a company that refuses to hire blacks, nor would I work there. Not the right thing to do....

Most of the cities would be your best bet... Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte, even Asheville. There's more diversity and more people who are accepting. I don't know much about the eastern part of NC. I would assumed that most citys and towns are reasonably safe. I'm from a small town in the piedmont and while it's a decent place on the surface (i.e. nobody's going to be openly harrassed), many people still hold prejudices with people who aren't from the area or who are different from them.

Most of the cities would be your best bet... Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte, even Asheville. There's more diversity and more people who are accepting. I don't know much about the eastern part of NC. I would assumed that most citys and towns are reasonably safe. I'm from a small town in the piedmont and while it's a decent place on the surface (i.e. nobody's going to be openly harrassed), many people still hold prejudices with people who aren't from the area or who are different from them.

Uh-huh.....ever see those bumper stickers....."We don't care how you do it up North."! Lots of retirees do flock to Eastern N.C. (from N.Y., N.J., etc.)....If you haven't visited Wilmington, I urge you to do so....really a historic city! Very friendly too...and the U.S.S. North Carolina is docked right on the Cape Fear River....lots of movie studios there also...and it's where Bruce Lee was shot....and also the movie "Cape Fear" was made, along with many others....Great seafood restaurants, beaches 15 miles away.

I have a better idea, he should stay where he is. That's where he is most happy with since he haven't left yet.

Uh-huh.....ever see those bumper stickers....."We don't care how you do it up North."! Lots of retirees do flock to Eastern N.C. (from N.Y., N.J., etc.)....If you haven't visited Wilmington, I urge you to do so....really a historic city! Very friendly too...and the U.S.S. North Carolina is docked right on the Cape Fear River....lots of movie studios there also...and it's where Bruce Lee was shot....and also the movie "Cape Fear" was made, along with many others....Great seafood restaurants, beaches 15 miles away.

I've visited Wilmington and I love it there, but there's a big difference in my impression of a place having never lived there. I don't feel qualified to give my opinion on Wilmington since I only know it from a tourist's perspective. :aw:

I had a roommate from England and Wilminton was the one place she knew she wanted to visit in NC while she was here because of the EUE Studios there. I'm not a huge One Tree Hill and Dawson's Creek fan, but the tour of the studio was a lot of fun. I think I remember that Blue Velvet or part of it was filmed there.

Reporting means almost nothing, trust me. Because in the court, they want to see hard evidence not just word of mouth. Soft evidence usually don't merit in the courts. That is why have to be very careful with reporting because of retalation involved.

DHB

That may change because of the hate crime law.

Back