any deaf scuba divers there?

luckypinkstar03 said:
i started 2 years ago through school. if we had good grades and applied for the prorgram and got accepted we could get our licince. also if we contiuned the good work we were slelected to go on a scuba trip to california. i got to go and had a blast. never went to lake mich. only sucba dived here in indy and calif. a deaf scuba thing would be awsome! if you set one up.. hook me up! lol :)

No plm! I will try to set one up someday :).. I am planning on taking more classes for advance diving course next summer, hopefully to become divemaster to become an indrustor someday :)

Whenever i know many deafies who go scuba.. we can just set a good date, etc.. whatever..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
No plm! I will try to set one up someday :).. I am planning on taking more classes for advance diving course next summer, hopefully to become divemaster to become an indrustor someday :)

Whenever i know many deafies who go scuba.. we can just set a good date, etc.. whatever..
sounds good to me! :) yea, i hope to get my advanced permit as well. want to go on those night dives.. people think im crazy but i hear its even better when its dark! [COLOR]

Deaf divers

We are a small group of Deaf divers.we live in Ontario Canada and are Advanced open water certification.We will be get the nitrox gas certification this spring.We like to dive in Lake Huron ,Georgian Bay,Tobermory,and the St. Lawrence river where we have many big shipwrecks.Is there a Deaf scuba club in U.S.A?I try to find it on computer but not find it.We are going on a trip to Cozumel ,Mexico to get away from the cold Canada winter! :cheers:

k

deafdiver said:
We are a small group of Deaf divers.we live in Ontario Canada and are Advanced open water certification.We will be get the nitrox gas certification this spring.We like to dive in Lake Huron ,Georgian Bay,Tobermory,and the St. Lawrence river where we have many big shipwrecks.Is there a Deaf scuba club in U.S.A?I try to find it on computer but not find it.We are going on a trip to Cozumel ,Mexico to get away from the cold Canada winter! :cheers:

k

Finally someone reply this thread LOL anyway wow! i wanna learn how to use nitrox gas.. i don't have nitrox gas cert. yet.. considering taking class for this.. (only if they'll hire an interpreter)

I have been searching all over places to place for Deaf scuba club in USA.. couldn't find any.. guess i had to set an Deaf Scuba club for USA. however. it will be hard.. due to budget.. alot of deafies here in USA are having problem taking class cuz they won't provide interpreter. This is the reason why i'm taking as many class as possible i can to become DiveMaster and instructor to become teacher for deafies who are interesting to learn to dive.

I have dived Lake superior for shipwreck exploration, Ironton mines in Minn. Crosby lake in minn. Cancun, MX and Cozumel, MX and they key west, FL

Looking forward for Ice Diving classes this Jan at ironton lake, MN

Could you give me info about canadian deaf scuba club.. i'm wondering if i'm possible to join? let me know thanks :D

minnisota

Are you from minnisota?I know that lake superior has some very good shipwrecks.did you dive whitefish point or th marquette underwater preserve or Duluth area? We are not a dive club yet we are just a group of friends that go diving as much as possible.We not have a deaf diving club in Canada.With the interpreter problem You need to find an interpreter that wants to learn to scuba dive ,then find group deaf to pay for interpreter will get free course.That is only way to do it.I maybe will make a club here in Canada but I know it too much work and too many problems.

Scuba

Hi there,

I am not deaf, but have some questions I am hoping you can help with. First of all I am very happy to see deaf divers. My husband and I (both hearing) are beginning divers and our oldest daughter (deaf) is dying to do it!! She is only 4, but our LDS has a class that starts at 5, so she is very excited.

Also, I am an interpreter and have been wondering about talking with any of the LDS to see if they would like to offer classes for deaf folks? Do you think there would be people interested? What if I became a PADI instructor and could teach class without an interpreter? Would that be something that you think the deaf community would appreciate?

And yes, sign is beautiful underwater. My husband and I dive together and I can't imagine being underwater and limited to the scuba handsignals or a slate to communicate. I would go CRAZY! :)

Also, do any of you post on the Scuba board? http://www.scubaboard.com/index.php It would be nice to see you there...

Thanks, I will be watching this thread! Happy New Year!

deafdiver said:
Are you from minnisota?I know that lake superior has some very good shipwrecks.did you dive whitefish point or th marquette underwater preserve or Duluth area? We are not a dive club yet we are just a group of friends that go diving as much as possible.We not have a deaf diving club in Canada.With the interpreter problem You need to find an interpreter that wants to learn to scuba dive ,then find group deaf to pay for interpreter will get free course.That is only way to do it.I maybe will make a club here in Canada but I know it too much work and too many problems.
yeah deaf diver i'm from minnesota... i have been diving in duluth area.. havn't dive the whitefish point. if you ever make a club in canada let me know :D

AmyJ said:
Hi there,

I am not deaf, but have some questions I am hoping you can help with. First of all I am very happy to see deaf divers. My husband and I (both hearing) are beginning divers and our oldest daughter (deaf) is dying to do it!! She is only 4, but our LDS has a class that starts at 5, so she is very excited.

Also, I am an interpreter and have been wondering about talking with any of the LDS to see if they would like to offer classes for deaf folks? Do you think there would be people interested? What if I became a PADI instructor and could teach class without an interpreter? Would that be something that you think the deaf community would appreciate?

And yes, sign is beautiful underwater. My husband and I dive together and I can't imagine being underwater and limited to the scuba handsignals or a slate to communicate. I would go CRAZY! :)

Also, do any of you post on the Scuba board? http://www.scubaboard.com/index.php It would be nice to see you there...

hi amy.. welcome to alldeaf :D
wow.. 5 years old to dive.. that's exciting ( something i wish i could do back then). i learn to dive through high school where i go to. they have class called "outdoor education" an physical education class where we learn different values of outdoor sports such as, kayote, cross conuntry ski, rock climbing, scuba diving, snowcave making, etc.. that's how i learn to fall in love with scuba diving.. then after i graduate from high school.. i decide to take full PADI class.. luckly interpreter is willing to do it for free because she wants to be certificated.. and the PADI instructor is willing to give her free courses instead of paying her interpreter fees.

if you become PADI instructor.. it would be nice.. I, Myself, am planning on become PADI instructor.. because i know it'll help the deaf community if you become one too.. they'll appericate it..

Interpreters for dive classes

AmyJ said:
Hi there,

Hi Amyj Happy New year to you too! Im surprised that they will start your 5 year old daughter in scuba .wow.And yes there is an interest in people that can sign to teach scuba to the deaf,however its a lot of work to organize to try and get a big enough group together.I guess you could provide an interpretor service to all the local LDS in your area.Yes I am a member of scubaboard in the club Ontario Freshwater Freaks as simcoediver and it is a lot of fun, Its great for learning new info about everything in scuba.Our group just came back from an amazing dive trip to Cozumel Mexico, and I can not tell you in words how fantastic the diving is there.You and your husband should try at least once to make a trip there just for the diving! What city or state are you from?My wife and I are from Ontario Canada so we are mostly freshwater lake divers, we like to dive a lot of shipwrecks and do travel alot from lake to lake mostly during the summer. Ok take care and enjoy your new sport!

Ok I looks like there is no one really interested in scuba out there in our deaf world so adios have a good life. Im outa here . :gives:

:applause: sounds like you just gotta set up a deaf diver network in USA! i would be interested in joining if I lived in usa (im an american living in norway). there's a local scuba diving class being given yearly by the local newspaper dude who is certified by PADI. I might just join his classes next year. I already got the equipment.

There is a deaf scuba diving instructor named Susan or Sue something at gally, too. She offers classes once a week. Probably about 5-10 deafies get certified by NAUI through this deaf instructor every year at gally. I've gotten this class, but I failed to submit an essay on embolism (hey i was a stupid and procrasinating 19 yr old kid so it was my fault really) even though I passed the water test and the written test (for 2nd time). *sigh* but yes I have been trained by NAUI and I am curious how PADI instructs a diver in general. I am nearly 24.

Has anyone gone to Palau yet? My father has been a diver for a long time, even before my birth. My mom has ancestral land there (yes she is a Palauan), so I hope one day to visit Palau and dive! They have those huge caverns you can dive into... I used to watch my father dive off into depths when I was a small child. I have seen slideshows of my father's underwater pics... gorgeous!

Ah about the local norwegian diving course here, I am afraid of not being able to keep up with them-- and my hubby refuses to take a class, basically because he is not an outsdoorsy type.. I am!

PS - I know a close deaf friend that plans on following out on his biology major with his NAUI certified scuba diving. His deaf wife is also certified in scuba diving. They live in MD now. I think he is interested in getting together with a deaf group of scuba divers and going to exotic locations. I think he went to some islands south of Florida.. the Keys, to dive with a group a few years ago already. If you are interested in contacting him, let me know. I'll pass the word on to him... and see what he has to say! He and his wife are really fantastic people, and fun to be around. I love 'em!

I'm from Ontario,Canada but scared to try Scubadiver
I have none experience... One day I would love to try..

Is that very expensive taking learn Scubadiver lesson?
I'm very curiouis.

I know I already said this before, but I just realized there is another 2 who goes scuba diving, so that makes it 4 Deaf peeps in Utah. Sorry that I ain't one of them! :\

LOL...ahem. I can't even swim without holding my nose, more or less scuba dive. Bungee jumping, anyone?

Back