Anti-Bullying Ad Campaign

^^^How very emapthetic of you.:roll:

I have always found it so interesting and so hard to understand how cruel kids can be. From a young age on up to late high school I have witnessed such vicious and callous behavior from the more "popular" kids (male and female) towards the less popular, or even special education kids, though any kid can be a victim of bullying. In sixth grade I even got picked on myself, for some reason one girl took a dislike to me and decided to make my life miserable, which she did...so I can only imagine how hard it is for kids that have to deal with it all the time.

I don't allow any of my kids or nieces or nephews to even say mean things about another person, and I never miss a chance to encourage and teach about empathy, about putting themselves in the shoes of another person and realizing the power we have to be so hurtful, and why we shouldn't be. Maybe some bullies are just acting out on their own bad home situations, but I feel that many kids just don't think about the effects that cruel words and cruel actions have on others. There were times in my childhood when I was mean to other kids too, usually because I was feeling bad about something myself and wanted to take it out on someone else...and I feel bad about them to this day.
I am sorry to hear that some of you, deaf or not, had to deal with such treatment as kids. All kids want, need, and deserve is love and acceptance.

Seriously. What brought on that comment by yagazn? Maybe they know each other?

I don't know. But after that remark, he needs to stop asking for people's understanding and sympathy over his life situation.

This morning my daughter made a rude remark pertaining to my deafness. I quickly pulled her aside and I explained to her that my deafness is like her skin color, it is there from the time we are born and it cannot be changed. The words she chose were uncalled for and that it is not right to make fun of something that cannot be changed and that it hurts. I don't know if it will stick with her or not, but I hope she learned a lesson in respect today. I don't want her growing up to be a bully, nor do I want her to be bullied.

This is a great clip, Dixie!
I am sorry that you went thru. :hug:

I was bullied, too, at school and even, at work, because of my deafness and LD. Also, I was abused as a child. I have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder (as PTSD) most of my life. Plus, social anxiety.
I still have a hard time trusting people after what they did to me. I sometimes talk that doesn't make sense. Haven't you noticed that? I know that I am not that intelligent enough. *sighs*

This morning my daughter made a rude remark pertaining to my deafness. I quickly pulled her aside and I explained to her that my deafness is like her skin color, it is there from the time we are born and it cannot be changed. The words she chose were uncalled for and that it is not right to make fun of something that cannot be changed and that it hurts. I don't know if it will stick with her or not, but I hope she learned a lesson in respect today. I don't want her growing up to be a bully, nor do I want her to be bullied.

I agree with you on this one. Good job, Dixie! I wish my brother and his wife should explain it to their 12 years old son (as my nephew.) All is they said shhh... without any explanation. *sighs* The question is: Should I discuss it with my nephew? Or it's none of my business.

That great clip. I been bullied badly in my primary school years. I went to Deaf High School and bullying stopped except two lessons at mainstream down the road for Art and PE, I was bullied there too.

This is a great clip, Dixie!
I am sorry that you went thru. :hug:

I was bullied, too, at school and even, at work, because of my deafness and LD. Also, I was abused as a child. I have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder (as PTSD) most of my life. Plus, social anxiety.
I still have a hard time trusting people after what they did to me. I sometimes talk that doesn't make sense. Haven't you noticed that? I know that I am not that intelligent enough. *sighs*

Substitute "autism" for "LD" and there is my life story.

Sadly I find it doesn't always end with adults, even ones you would think should have empathy.

Substitute "autism" for "LD" and there is my life story.

Sadly I find it doesn't always end with adults, even ones you would think should have empathy.

My oldest sister says that I was autisic when I was a small child and that I was rocking back and forth on a chair every day, to shut everyone out. I don't know if she's right. *shrugs*

Yeah, those people have no respects for us. *sighs* Hugs!!!

Back