Another Update *sigh*

Char , I just saw the pic..made me laugh!! wish I could save it , it's too funny!!

Had wonderful photo sent to me just now of my dog Boris while he was on his holiday...

My neighbor described what Boris looks like and he sounds so adorable! I know what that caretaker feels like because I feel the same way whenever I'm around Tigger. She always brings a smile to my face and gives me a reason to be happy. :D

HearAgain <hug> I'm so glad to hear that..I hope after the carpal surgery will be feeling more back to normal than ever , and you will be happier , something you need!!

Thanks, Vivie! :)

I completely forgot about my appointment with the neurologist about my CTS surgery because of everything that has happened to me with my recent episodes. Once things start to settle down, I plan to discuss my surgical options with him. How nice it would be if I could get my rapid cycling under control, find a way to stop my dizziness (as well as its' cause) and relieve my CTS with surgery!

Hear again,

Wonder if you have talked with your audi about this idea.

I know that when I run faster programs, they have to use more stimulation/electrical current and my T and C levels are higher than on my slower programs. With this being said, the frequency that the simulation is being sent to the nerve is also faster. I also know my battery consumption is typically greater. How I see this and it may be wrong but a more frequent stimulation that has a shorter duration needs higher electrical current to send the same signal to the nerve. A slower and less frequent electrical stimulation may require lower electrical currents to accomplish the same results. By turning down the volume/electrical stimulation is having the effect of reducing the dizzyness in your situation. You might notice an improvement by running a slower speed or maybe a faster one. Who knows, maybe just an idea. Also, there is something about bucketing the electrodes so they stimulate differently but I can't remember why or what it accomplishes but do know that it plays a part in power consumption from what I've been told.

I still think I could learn so much if I could play with the program for a while to experience the different ways the programming can be manipulated and "hear" how it affects the sounds we hear.

I hate to mention some of this because it is yet one more thing that may create questions.

I hope your able to get your maps set so you can get back to where you were.
Glad to hear your feeling somewhat better.

Steve,

Thanks for your reply! :)

I'm currently using 900 Hz on both of my CIs. I don't know if I want to decrease that to 750 Hz or not because I am hearing really well with 900 Hz. Everything sounds so natural, crisp and clear. Music sounds wonderful and the high frequencies no longer sound off-key or one or two octaves above or below where they should be.

I've already tried a faster stimulation rate (1200 Hz), but couldn't make any sense out of what I heard. Everything sounded extremely high pitched and unintelligible. When I started using 900 Hz, environmental sounds and voices began to sound exactly the way I remember when I wore hearing aids.

Hi everyone,

I heard from my audi's receptionist this morning. My CI testing will be April 8th.

:D That's quite a long wait isn't it? Or does it bother that you have to wait that long? <shrug>

Jamie

:D That's quite a long wait isn't it? Or does it bother that you have to wait that long? <shrug>

Jamie

To be honest, I wasn't happy when I learned my appointment would be in April, but then again, I'm so used to what I'm hearing now with lowered sensitivity levels on my CIs that I guess a month long wait won't make too much of a difference. I'm just hoping the test they give me isn't going to make me feel dizzy. :(

I guess we'll just have to hope for the best. Sometimes you think one month is long and then before you know it, the month is already over... I'm sure time will fly in some way <smile>

In the meantime you can keep yourself entertained with some word games here <giggle>

Did I make you smile?

Jamie

Thats like 6 weeks away... umm.. bit long in my opinion... Hope you can bear with it that long. You know we are here if you need us... (((hugs)))

Hi Hear again. I hope you are feeling better today. I am glad to hear that your new drugs are helping. Sorry it's so long until your Audi apointment.

(hugs)

To be honest, I wasn't happy when I learned my appointment would be in April, but then again, I'm so used to what I'm hearing now with lowered sensitivity levels on my CIs that I guess a month long wait won't make too much of a difference. I'm just hoping the test they give me isn't going to make me feel dizzy. :(

Would feeling dizzy during the test give them a clue as to what is wrong? Or how to fix? If so, please feel dizzy...if not, then stay steady Lisa. Hard to know what is the best course at this stage even though he (CI surgeon) is looking for eye movement.

Would feeling dizzy during the test give them a clue as to what is wrong? Or how to fix? If so, please feel dizzy...if not, then stay steady Lisa. Hard to know what is the best course at this stage even though he (CI surgeon) is looking for eye movement.

ET,

I'm going to e-mail my CI surgeon and ask him if the test I'm supposed to have will cause any dizziness. I know he's looking for specific eye movements, but I'm hoping I won't end up feeling dizzy since there are 6 high frequencies that cause me difficulty.

Hi Hear again. I hope you are feeling better today. I am glad to hear that your new drugs are helping. Sorry it's so long until your Audi apointment.

(hugs)

Thanks, dreama! <hugs> As far as my rapid cycling is concerned, this new med is working very well. As far as my dizziness is concerned, I'm still having problems whenever I try to increase sensitivity.

I guess we'll just have to hope for the best. Sometimes you think one month is long and then before you know it, the month is already over... I'm sure time will fly in some way <smile>

In the meantime you can keep yourself entertained with some word games here <giggle>

Did I make you smile?

Jamie

You did make me smile, Jamie! :) I love word games and they are helping me keep my mind off of my dizziness. :D

HearAgain,

There are many possible causes for your dizziness and sensitivitiy to sounds.

Cochlea is an biological oddball - while you cannot regenerate hair cells, the nerves can be regenerated and you may have reached a point where nerves have regenerated and became extremely sensitive to electrical stimulation. You would need to get remapping.

Mental distress or mania can affect your perception of sound and may make it worse. If you feel like your head is being affected, it's mostly mental (mind you, it's biological, not that you want ot make it happen!) and you would need meds to soothe hyperactivity in your brain.

It's no secret that people have consumed illegal drugs and experienced enhanced perception to sounds. Marijuana is well known for that. So does acid. Many psychoactive drugs have effects on your auditory perception.

It's no secret that anything that goes into your cochlea (or even deafness itself) will also affect your sense of balance so if it goes out of wack, something's wrong with the cochlea. Fortunately, our brains are adapatable and can adjust but some people continue to have dizziness. There are many treatments but they do mostly to quell nausea and mental distress, not the dizziness itself.

Hope your problems go away!

netrox,

Thanks for your reply! I'm on 5 psychotropic meds for my bipolar, so that could explain my dizziness and/or sensitivity to sound. So could mania. I've been feeling level for the past 2 days and have not noticed as much of a sensitivity to sound. Prior to that, I was hypomanic (mild mania) and rapid cycling. In both instances, sounds were painfully loud. I'm going to try increasing sensitivity tomorrow one setting at a time to see how high I can go before feeling dizzy. Hopefully I will be able to reach the point where I'm able to move up a few notches. I'm also going to ask my audi to design a softer map specifically for when I'm manic.

Back