Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Most of my interactions with hearing people haven't really been annoying because I sort of expect a lot of behavior due to not being educated about deafness and ASL.

My only annoyance is audism and its practices on deaf children and deaf adults looking for jobs.

You ever talk to someone that you've had to ask them over and over and over what and play a big guessing game because you can't read their lips? Because they just suck at forming words?

I was at the gym, doing chin ups and dips, so for one thing she's interupting my workout to ask me a question, which is a little annoying. But she smiled the whole time and she talked through her teeth, like her teeth stayed closed the whole time, how do you talk like that? I soooo badly wanted to tell her what she was doing, but I didn't want to make her embarrassed or self conscious, so the guessing game. She kept saying something and then point to some stuff on this counter, a water bottle, a towel and her phone. So obviously she's saying something about one of the items over there. After much much much guessing, I finally figured out that she was asking if the music coming out of her smart phone was bothering me.

WHAT??!! Woman!! I can't even hear you talking to me!!! at what point through doing all of this do you think that she might have figured out....hey this girl can't hear me, I bet she can't hear my music maybe I can stop asking her about it :laugh2:

Oh lord. She was an odd one though, then she interupted me again why to know "how you doing that?" (the chin ups and dips) well darling.....because I'm strong, and I'm little, that helps. Do you need a physics lesson too? you weigh probably 150, I weigh 103-5..... I'm lighter.....not as much weight to be trying to pull up.......made me wish I just didn't wear my aids, then I could have just signed that I was deaf, she wouldn't know what it meant but she'd recognize that it was sign language and go away and leave me to my workout.

I'm not deaf, but yes I've been there. I once asked a friend to repeat himself several times when we were in a loud area (and yes, he too sucks at forming lips). Then after the third time asking him to repeat, her says, "What, are you deaf, or something?" I gave him a dirty look and thought to myself, 'No, but would it be a problem if I were?' another time I was explaining APD to him. I told him I was functionally hard of hearing and I was learning sign, accepting myself as Deaf (with caps D). His response: "I think you just want to be deaf."...yeah...anyway, I'm over it now. At the time I was hurt, but whatever. God made me this way for a reason and if this guy won't understand that, it's his loss. :)

Wirelessly posted

I have a daughter who talks like through her teeth too. One of my pet peeves is sitting in the back seat of the car, well anywhere in the car actually because at best I only get a side view or a half view of their face, let alone a back view. Yet people still insist on talking to me and expect me to understand them. The worst is at night when the car is dark....speech reading goes right out the window. I usually tune out for the whole car ride.

Wirelessly posted

I have a daughter who talks like through her teeth too. One of my pet peeves is sitting in the back seat of the car, well anywhere in the car actually because at best I only get a side view or a half view of their face, let alone a back view. Yet people still insist on talking to me and expect me to understand them. The worst is at night when the car is dark....speech reading goes right out the window. I usually tune out for the whole car ride.

My son will turn on his cell so the screen lights up and holds in front if his mouth do I can see his lips :D still hard though cuz I have to take eyes off the road to do it.

My son will turn on his cell so the screen lights up and holds in front if his mouth do I can see his lips :D still hard though cuz I have to take eyes off the road to do it.

Have you considered wearing both your HA's full time instead of just 1?

No shit! That would be hard while driving. "Hey, can't you see that I am driving?" Doesn't your son sign?

No shit! That would be hard while driving. "Hey, can't you see that I am driving?" Doesn't your son sign?

She would still have to take her eyes off the road to see what he's signing.

She would still have to take her eyes off the road to see what he's signing.
She can see him signing if he signs below the rearview mirror with arms reaching out. That's what many deaf people do. That way the driver can still keep the eyes on the road. Of course it depends on a traffic. As for lipreading, the driver would have to turn the head all the way to the passenger's side which is unsafe.

Have you considered wearing both your HA's full time instead of just 1?

Sure. Most if the time it makes things worse, I don't get speech out my left one just noise. BUT that wouldn't help me whe driving anyway because a) my good ear is the one facing the passengers and b) even my good ear I can't understand anything unless I can see their mouth moving.

No, but I don't really either. I can finger spell and I know done signs but nit enough for a conversation. But we pretty much keep thus to traffic lights ;) my kids try to talk to me while driving but until we get to a light and I can give them my full attention I have no idea what they're saying

Sure. Most if the time it makes things worse, I don't get speech out my left one just noise. BUT that wouldn't help me whe driving anyway because a) my good ear is the one facing the passengers and b) even my good ear I can't understand anything unless I can see their mouth moving.

No, but I don't really either. I can finger spell and I know done signs but nit enough for a conversation. But we pretty much keep thus to traffic lights ;) my kids try to talk to me while driving but until we get to a light and I can give them my full attention I have no idea what they're saying

Could they be talking to each other instead and you not catch that it is not to you?

Could they be talking to each other instead and you not catch that it is not to you?

Could be, but a lot of the time I only have one of them in the car at a time, so if they're talking, it's to me. :giggle:

I have a mobile phone (or should I call it a cellphone since most of you reading this will be Americans? ;) ) for SMS text messages. Being deaf, I don't use it for voice calls, so my voicemail states very clearly "Please do NOT leave a message as I'm deaf and cannot hear it. Instead, send a text to this number."

Yet what do you think hearing people do when they phone me? Go on, guess... :doh:

I didn't even set up voicemail on mine :D if someone calls me, they don't know me, of they don't know me I do t want to talk to them anyway :D

Hearing people aren't the only one's who are annoying. DEAF people, ok, I only know of one, can be just as annoying. Especially when they keep reminding you that they're DEAF. :roll:

I didn't even set up voicemail on mine :D if someone calls me, they don't know me, of they don't know me I do t want to talk to them anyway :D

Same here. I don't even have voice mail set up on my phone, I would have no idea how to do it. Once in a blue moon I get a random call (I assume a wrong number because everybody who knows me has my TEXT number.) I have wondered what they hear on their end, if anything. I should have hubby call my phone and see what he gets.

Same here. I don't even have voice mail set up on my phone, I would have no idea how to do it. Once in a blue moon I get a random call (I assume a wrong number because everybody who knows me has my TEXT number.) I have wondered what they hear on their end, if anything. I should have hubby call my phone and see what he gets.

I think there is a default message, at least for people with voice plans, that says something like "You have reached xxx-xxx-xxxx. Please leave a message after the tone."

Back