Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

"I'll pray for you" already comes from a bias

one is the religious bias

two is the audist bias - there would be nothing to pray for if the person initially thought that the individual to whom the comment was directed, was already FINE.

I'm able to understand it just fine.

Unfortunately, so did I. But it still wasn't very readable.

If you had a little more experience with AF, you'd see my point. Stick around. She will offend you before it's over with.:giggle:

Unfortunately, so did I. But it still wasn't very readable.

If you had a little more experience with AF, you'd see my point. Stick around. She will offend you before it's over with.:giggle:

:hmm: Who is AF? :hmm:

Well - I had to go to our County Government building this afternoon. Had to go to the Property Assessors office. With all the new changes for safety and security, we have the metal detectors and you have to put all stuff on a belt to be x-rayed and walk through this scanner thing. Well, I had my rollator with me and I put my basket on the belt with my purse and all. I went through and the alarm goes off. I knew it was the rollator, but the officer asks me to go through again. I did and it went off again. Then I suggested that I go through without the rollator. Seems, when my back was turned, he was speaking to me and obviously I did not catch what was said. The other officer shouted out, "Hey, Are you Deaf or Something?!" To which I replied "Yes, I am." Officer #1 then, being as ignorant as possible come up with a real gem. "Well, it you're deaf, why do you need a rollator? You should have seeing eye dog and a white cane with red tip." Officer #2 comes back and explains the #1 was totally wrong. A third officer shows up and I explain the problem. He has me walt through without my rollator, no alarms, he checks over the rollator, no weapons, so he tells officer #1, "You're relieved of duty for the day, report to the Commander's office immediately." And off I went to the Assessor's office.

Well - I had to go to our County Government building this afternoon. Had to go to the Property Assessors office. With all the new changes for safety and security, we have the metal detectors and you have to put all stuff on a belt to be x-rayed and walk through this scanner thing. Well, I had my rollator with me and I put my basket on the belt with my purse and all. I went through and the alarm goes off. I knew it was the rollator, but the officer asks me to go through again. I did and it went off again. Then I suggested that I go through without the rollator. Seems, when my back was turned, he was speaking to me and obviously I did not catch what was said. The other officer shouted out, "Hey, Are you Deaf or Something?!" To which I replied "Yes, I am." Officer #1 then, being as ignorant as possible come up with a real gem. "Well, it you're deaf, why do you need a rollator? You should have seeing eye dog and a white cane with red tip." Officer #2 comes back and explains the #1 was totally wrong. A third officer shows up and I explain the problem. He has me walt through without my rollator, no alarms, he checks over the rollator, no weapons, so he tells officer #1, "You're relieved of duty for the day, report to the Commander's office immediately." And off I went to the Assessor's office.

wow... Hurray for Officer #2.

Kristina - if you are still bothered by it... you are free to go back and file a complaint - I recommend that. I surely do not want such ignorant people like him to be carrying gun and badge to bully people around.

A hearie just talking about how Deafies "is just like they're normal". Argh.

I remember, sometimes I know notice it on reason issues serious! I think so might to reason important if suppose reason ignorant to hearing person reason my client annoy I annoy because she nothing serious because too much!

Like one Shel said and "don't worry", "it not important", "you don't need to know", etc.

I am hearing and when I say, "what?" to what someone asked or said I get the same response. It gets me angry. I do think something is somewhat wrong with my hearing but I just can't place it.

Sometimes I repeat something back what someone says and they laugh and said I misunderstood. That bugs me too. I can't help it. I can only imagine what jerks people are to someone Deaf or hard of hearing if they treat me that way :(

One of the stupiest question that people ask me..."hmmmm...do you wear hearing aid while you bath" Like I could afford a pairs of hearing aids every time I
bath:ugh3:

Another question commonly asked..."do you wear hearin aids when you sleep?" and I normally answer..."Öh then you wear your spectacle while you sleep?" Hm....they think my ear has beem literally replaced by hearing aids....:roll:

I was asked today... while TALKING to a client... "how do you communicate with people?"... really? (this is why I HATE using my voice at work, I am much more content to sit in the back and work on the computers)

Does anybody else get the stream of hearing people who claim they totally get it because they can't hear conversations in the middle of concerts or noisy restaurants?

It seems like every time I tell a hearing person that I'm HOH (one of these days, I'll claim the deaf label), they are suddenly hoh too. Oh, no, they had their hearing tested and it came back perfect, but maybe they should get it checked again, or maybe they have a processing disorder because they can't hear in the clubs. *facepalm*

I shook it off the first couple of times as it being the way people try to identify with you, show they are understanding... but now it just pisses me off. I'm trying to tell someone that I need them to do things like look at me when they're speaking to me, and suddenly we're talking about their non-existent hearing loss. Or telling me how they completely get it, when THEY can pick up a phone and just call someone, they can follow a conversation in a group, they aren't having to struggle to read someone's lips just to catch a glimpse of what the person is saying.

One of my friends does this constantly. Not only to me, but if she is introducing me to other people. Maybe I just have a bad attitude today, but it drives me crazy.

Does anybody else get the stream of hearing people who claim they totally get it because they can't hear conversations in the middle of concerts or noisy restaurants?

It seems like every time I tell a hearing person that I'm HOH (one of these days, I'll claim the deaf label), they are suddenly hoh too. Oh, no, they had their hearing tested and it came back perfect, but maybe they should get it checked again, or maybe they have a processing disorder because they can't hear in the clubs. *facepalm*

As someone who really does have an auditory processing disorder, this also drives me nuts. Yeah, I have a fan or florescent light humming in the background and can't understand anything but it is like you going to a concert and not being able to hear. I was tested, and while I could hear tones in the normal range, I couldn't figure out the words without guessing a very large majority of the time, even with a quiet environment.

I am also really annoyed by the "never mind" or "it's not important" or "I'll tell you later" (then it never happens).

I do not understand why people think it is okay to talk with their mouth full. I do not wish to see your food (I think this bothers everyone though). Likewise, covering your mouth because you just took a bite of food, then talking with your mouth covered is no better.

Though usually not because of my processing, but because of other health problems, I HATE the whole you are so brave for all you've been through thing. No, I'm not. I take life as it is handed to me, smile and take it a day at a time. That does NOT make me superwoman, it makes me a capable human being.

Uggh! I would write complaint. Nice that other office step in but, still, ridiculous that people are *SO* ignorant.

One of the stupiest question that people ask me..."hmmmm...do you wear hearing aid while you bath" Like I could afford a pairs of hearing aids every time I
bath:ugh3:

Another question commonly asked..."do you wear hearin aids when you sleep?" and I normally answer..."Öh then you wear your spectacle while you sleep?" Hm....they think my ear has beem literally replaced by hearing aids....:roll:

They do not know that they feedback against a pillow.:roll:

I was asked today... while TALKING to a client... "how do you communicate with people?"... really? (this is why I HATE using my voice at work, I am much more content to sit in the back and work on the computers)

Good grief. You are *talking* to them and they ask that? Maybe when you are born hearie you are not given comprehension skills because of it? :giggle:

No offense to our respected hearies. You know who you are.:kiss:

It drive me crazy when hearies say BS comment like that!! What the heck do you think I'm *DOING* right now!!???!!!

I shook it off the first couple of times as it being the way people try to identify with you, show they are understanding... but now it just pisses me off. I'm trying to tell someone that I need them to do things like look at me when they're speaking to me, and suddenly we're talking about their non-existent hearing loss. Or telling me how they completely get it, when THEY can pick up a phone and just call someone, they can follow a conversation in a group, they aren't having to struggle to read someone's lips just to catch a glimpse of what the person is saying.

One of my friends does this constantly. Not only to me, but if she is introducing me to other people. Maybe I just have a bad attitude today, but it drives me crazy.

To the bolded ---> it's not a label but an identity. :kiss:

It's probably pissing you off because you are approaching your identity, about to embrace it, and being proud of it. If you weren't proud you wouldn't be upset about it.

It upsets me, too.

As someone who really does have an auditory processing disorder, this also drives me nuts. Yeah, I have a fan or florescent light humming in the background and can't understand anything but it is like you going to a concert and not being able to hear. I was tested, and while I could hear tones in the normal range, I couldn't figure out the words without guessing a very large majority of the time, even with a quiet environment.

I am also really annoyed by the "never mind" or "it's not important" or "I'll tell you later" (then it never happens).

I do not understand why people think it is okay to talk with their mouth full. I do not wish to see your food (I think this bothers everyone though). Likewise, covering your mouth because you just took a bite of food, then talking with your mouth covered is no better.

Though usually not because of my processing, but because of other health problems, I HATE the whole you are so brave for all you've been through thing. No, I'm not. I take life as it is handed to me, smile and take it a day at a time. That does NOT make me superwoman, it makes me a capable human being.

My voice comprehension (discrimination?) is near zero so I understand.

Back