Anna Nicole Smith

I wish German medias is wrong... after read this whole thread...I began to doubt beleive that German medias is right about Howard...

That's what I said in previous post.

Originally Posted by Liebling:)))
Accord German medias...

They suspect that Howard put something in drink to kill Anna´s son and Anna. They said 4 months distance is pretty illogical...:dunno:

Boy, we've got a baby heir worth millions or even a cool billion, and several men claiming to be the Daddy of that child, conspiracy plots, etc...

I'm grabbing some popcorn and watching this thread to see what's next.

Anyone want to join me for some popcorn? :popcorn:

=p Turn the brat over to the state, wait til brat is 18, then let brat have all $$$.

Otherwise people oughta let her rest in peace, leave her family alone, leave the people alone. It's a private matter. Sheesh, this is ridiculous. I hate the mentality of "if it bleeds it sells" and crap on news, to quote a certian evil doll "paparazi scum!"

They gave the body to her daughter and the lawyer will decide where to bury the body after talking to all parties concerned. The lawyer wants the body to be buried in the Bahamas with her son but did not order it. The judge was crying as he said all this. It was very sad.

well it looks like more likely they're going to bury Anna in Bahamas, then Anna's mom is appealing.

=p Turn the brat over to the state, wait til brat is 18, then let brat have all $$$.

Otherwise people oughta let her rest in peace, leave her family alone, leave the people alone. It's a private matter. Sheesh, this is ridiculous. I hate the mentality of "if it bleeds it sells" and crap on news, to quote a certian evil doll "paparazi scum!"
ya called this baby a brat?? baby didnt do anything.. shes only 5 months old. geez

Judge: Anna Nicole Will Be Buried In Bahamas
Today's THV - KTHV Little Rock News Article

A judge in South Florida says Anna Nicole Smith will be buried with her son in the Bahamas. He gave the guardian of Smith's infant daughter custody of her body and says he wants her buried next to her son.

Howard K. Stern told the Florida judge that Smith and her son Daniel "were inseparable," and called Daniel the most important person in Smith's life.

Stern and Smith's estranged mother are in court over who gets her remains. Stern told a judge that he and Smith discussed burying her son Daniel in Los Angeles, but Smith wanted him buried in the Bahamas, where he died in September.

Smith's mother wanted her daughter brought home to her native Texas, arguing that she has the right to bury her own daughter.

There was no written proof of Smith's own burial wishes.

The judge admonished Larry Birkhead and Stern during the hearing Thursday for not submitting to DNA testing and solving the mystery of who is Dannielynn’s father. He said that he wishes he was the judge in that case too, but since he’s not, he hopes that they do the best thing for the baby.

Birkhead took the stand Thursday to testify about Smith’s drug use. He said that he tried to get Smith to stop using drugs. He says he got concerned during a visit last year to the Bahamas home Smith shared with Stern.

According to Birkhead, they kept bringing in "more and more drugs" with Stern telling him the former Playboy model needed the prescriptions to live. When Birkhead suggested drug rehab, he says Smith told him she wasn't an addict, and to stop suggesting she was.

At the start of Thursday's proceedings, the judge gave a speech in which he suggested Stern was "maybe an enabler."

Burial in Bahamas for Anna Nicole
BBC NEWS | Americas | Burial in Bahamas for Anna Nicole

Former Playboy model Anna Nicole Smith is to be buried in the Bahamas, her infant daughter's guardian has said.
Attorney Richard Milstein said that Smith would be buried next to her son, who died there last year.

His announcement came shortly after a Florida judge awarded him custody of the former model's body amid a struggle between her mother and her partner.

Texas-born Smith, who married an elderly billionaire in 1994, died on 8 February of unknown causes.

Her estranged mother, Virgie Arthur, wanted her to be buried in Texas, while her partner, lawyer Howard K Stern, wanted her laid to rest in the Bahamas, where she had latterly made her home.

The matter was further complicated by the testimony of her ex-boyfriend, Larry Birkhead, who says he is the father of her five-month-old baby Dannielynn.

Tearful verdict

The matter was decided after a six-day hearing in front of a Florida court.
Judge Larry Seidlin heard from all three of the key players, plus witnesses including a former bodyguard.

The final witness was Smith's first husband, Billy Smith, who testified over the speaker of a lawyer's cell phone.

He said he thought Smith would have wanted to be buried next to their son.

Judge Seidlin, who appeared tearful as he delivered his verdict, directed Mr Milstein to consult with Ms Arthur, Mr Stern and Mr Birkhead before deciding where to bury the body.

But he concluded: "I want her buried in the Bahamas with her son."

Mr Milstein, who Judge Seidlin appointed earlier in the week to represent Dannielynn's interests, later said that Smith would be buried in the Bahamas, but gave no timeframe.

The issue of Dannielynn's paternity is due to be decided by a second court on Friday.

Anna mum in funeral rant
The Sun Online - News: Anna mum in funeral rant

TRAGIC Anna Nicole Smith’s mum last night angrily accused the former model’s lover of making “a million bucks” from her death.

Virgie Arthur, who is battling Howard K Stern for Anna Nicole’s body, said he had sold TV rights to her funeral.

Her claims came in the court battle over the model’s body — which is now decomposing so quickly plans for an open casket at her funeral are in doubt.

Arthur insists Anna Nicole and her son Daniel, 20, who died last September in the Bahamas, should be buried together in the US.

Pointing at Stern across a Florida courtroom, she said: “I have not profited from the death of Daniel and Anna Nicole — but he has.

“He sold video of her death. That’s why he wants her body.”

She was believed to be referring to the rights for coverage of the funeral of Anna Nicole, 39, who died in Florida earlier this month.

Arthur added: “I heard that ET (US show Entertainment Tonight) is buying her death funeral . . . for a million bucks. He’s the one who’s getting the money — I’m not.”

She wants to exhume Daniel from the Bahamas and rebury his body in Texas with Anna Nicole.

Stern wants Anna Nicole to be buried in the Bahamas. The judge will rule on the case by tomorrow.

I hope the police investigation is still in active on Smith's case in Florida. Something fishy - who knows ...

Smith to be buried near son in Bahamas
Smith to be buried near son in Bahamas - Yahoo! News

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -Anna Nicole Smith will be buried in the Bahamas, alongside her son, it was announced Thursday after a tearful judge left the decision up to the attorney for the model's baby daughter.

Richard Milstein, the court-appointed lawyer for 5-month-old Dannielynn, announced the plans not long after a judge gave him control of Smith's final resting place. He gave no timeframe for the burial.

Circuit Judge Larry Seidlin steered a surprise middle course in a dispute that became more urgent by the day when the medical examiner warned that Smith's body was rapidly decomposing.

"Who is entitled to custody of the remains of Anna Nicole Smith?" Seidlin wrote in his ruling. "There can be only one proper and equitable answer to that question: Dannielynn, Anna Nicole Smith's only child, heir and next of kin."

The ruling came a full two weeks after Smith died at a Florida hotel at age 39 of still-undetermined causes.

Smith's estranged mother wanted her buried in her native Texas, while Smith's boyfriend wanted her laid to rest in the Bahamas.

The judge, who choked up frequently and sometimes blubbered as he explained his decision, compromised and gave custody to Milstein. And the judge made it abundantly clear what he felt should be done.

"I want her buried with her son in the Bahamas," he said through tears. "I want them to be together."

Smith's boyfriend, attorney Howard K. Stern, had been hunched over a table with his hands folded as he listened to Seidlin's ruling and wiped away tears afterward. Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, covered her eyes.

Outside court, Stern joined Arthur and Smith's ex-boyfriend photographer Larry Birkhead before dozens of reporters, and they pledged to work together on funeral arrangements.

"It's a family affair. You guys can go home," said Krista Barth, the attorney for Stern.

Smith's mother planned to appeal the judge's order, according to one of her attorneys, Tom Pirtle.

Seidlin teared up earlier Thursday when he abruptly cut short the proceedings to say he had made up his mind. In a sometimes rambling statement, he said "I've been trying to figure out, in a spiritual sense, how to bring it all together."

Milstein was appointed by Seidlin last week. He works for the Miami office of the Akerman Senterfitt law firm. He has 30 years of experience and specializes in guardianship, probate and mediation, according to the firm's Web site.

The dispute over the burial was one of many surrounding Smith. Stern is listed as Dannielynn's father on the birth certificate, but Birkhead said the girl was his.

A California judge is handling the paternity case, but Birkhead's attorneys plan to ask a Florida family court judge on Friday to order a sample of Dannielynn's DNA to be collected in the Bahamas, or require the girl be brought here for DNA testing.

The judge began Thursday's hearing with a long diatribe, saying Smith's relationships with her mother and Birkhead soured because of overuse of prescription drugs, and referred to Stern as "maybe an enabler."

"We have Stern. Is he a bad guy or is he a fellow that has some form of a love for her? We don't know," Seidlin said. "Whatever relationship he had with her, he would be called maybe an enabler."

Birkhead testified earlier that he attempted to curb the starlet's drug use by urging her to seek treatment. When he visited the Bahamas home Smith and Stern shared last year, he said he became increasingly concerned about her medicine use.

"They kept bringing more and more drugs in the house," Birkhead said, adding that Smith told him she needed the prescriptions to live. When he suggested Smith enter drug rehabilitation, he said she told him: "I'm not a drug addict and quit calling me one."

Testimony in the case has been peppered with details of Smith's sexual liaisons and the deals allegedly being pursued to profit from the deaths of the starlet and her son.

Also Thursday, celebrity news Web site TMZ.com posted a video of Smith hugging and being kissed by a shirtless doctor, who is under investigation by the California state medical board for unspecified possible misconduct related to Smith. In the video from a nightclub, Stern and Birkhead watch as Smith and Dr. Sandeep Kapoor cuddle on a seat.

Messages left for Kapoor's Los Angeles publicist Mark Saylor, on his cell phone and at his office, were not returned. A message was also left for Kapoor's Los Angeles attorney, Ellyn Garofalo.

Smith married Texas oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II in 1994 when he was 89 and she was 26 and she had been fighting his family over his estimated $500 million fortune since his death in 1995.

Dannielynn's Guardian Gets Custody of Anna Nicole Smith's Body
Dannielynn's Guardian Gets Custody of Anna Nicole Smith's Body | Anna Nicole Smith : People.com

Florida Circuit Court Judge Larry Seidlin ruled Thursday that Richard Milstein, the court-appointed guardian of Anna Nicole Smith's daughter Dannielynn, will get custody of Smith's remains.

Judge Seidlin also said that he'd like Smith to be buried in the Bahamas next to her son, Daniel Smith, who died last year.

"I want her buried with her son," a tearful Seidlin said when announcing his ruling. "I want her buried with her son in the Bahamas. I want them to be together."

After the hearing ended, Milstein announced that Smith would indeed be buried in the Bahamas.

The judge directed Milstein to consult with Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, ex-boyfriend Larry Birkhead and her lawyer and companion, Howard K. Stern, on the burial plans for Smith.

When Seidlin announced the ruling both Stern and Arthur broke down in tears.

"The Broward County medical examiner is ordered to release those remains to Milstein in accordance with Milstein's (direction)," Seidlin said. "Milstein is directed to consult with Arthur, Birkhead and Stern with respect to disposition of Anna Nicole Smith's remains." But he noted that Milstein had final discretion over Smith's interment.

All three parties had been fighting to determine where Smith's body should be buried. Stern said he wanted to carry out Smith's wish to be laid to rest next to her son in the Bahamas. Arthur claimed next-of-kin status and wanted the body to be put in a family plot in Texas. Birkhead, who aligned himself with Arthur, testified that Smith wanted to buried in California near Marilyn Monroe. (See CNN.com's video for more on the Smith hearing.)

After four days of testimony, Seidlin, who had previously said he would announce a ruling on Friday, abruptly concluded testimony on Thursday afternoon. He took a 15-minute recess to review evidence in his chamber before announcing his decision.

Prior to adjourning the court, Seidlin explained, "(I) tried to get a reasonable result. I hope when you hear it you handle it with the respect and dignity that Anna Nicole Smith would want."

Seidlin also encouraged all the participants to resolve the ongoing paternity battle. "Submit to DNA (testing)," he urged. "Enough baloney."

Legal battle over Smith's body not over
Legal battle over Smith's body not over - CNN.com

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Two men seeking paternity rights to the 5-month-old daughter of Anna Nicole Smith said Thursday they have agreed Smith should be buried in the Bahamas, next to her son Daniel.

The men made the announcement to reporters a few minutes after a tearful Broward Circuit Judge Larry Seidlin awarded custody of the body to Richard Milstein, guardian ad litem of the infant, Dannielynn. ((Watch the judge's emotional ruling -- 2:10) )

But Thomas W. Pirtle, an attorney for Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, said an appeal would be formally filed Friday in Florida's 4th District Court of Appeals.

Arthur had wanted to bring Smith home to her native Texas.

Smith died February 8 in a Florida hotel, but the cause is still unknown.

In handing down his decision, Seidlin directed Milstein to consult with Howard K. Stern, Smith's partner and lawyer at the time of her death; Larry Birkhead, Smith's former boyfriend; and Smith's mother.

Shortly after the ruling, it appeared all the parties had agreed to a burial in the Bahamas. Arthur stood with Stern and Birkhead as they announced their agreement to reporters.

Stern and Birkhead both claim to have fathered Dannielynn.

"I'm very grateful that Anna Nicole's wishes are going to be carried out," Stern told reporters outside the courthouse. "That's all that matters."

Said Birkhead: "We all loved Anna and it's in her best interest to come together."

Broward County Medical Examiner Joshua Perper predicted the appeal would be dismissed in short order. "Probably in a day or two there's going to be a final decision," he told reporters. "So we'll be able to make the arrangements."

Seidlin made no secret of his wishes: "I want her buried with her son in the Bahamas," he told a stunned courtroom. "I want them to be together."

Perper said Seidlin had asked him to accompany the body to the Bahamas to ensure the burial is carried out properly. Perper said he would comply.

In addition, the consulate for the Bahamas must approve any transfer by certifying that the body is free of infectious disease.

Until then, the body -- which Perper said is in "excellent condition" -- is to remain with the medical examiner's office.

Perper, who carried out the autopsy, said it will likely take another 10 to 14 days before he can determine the cause of death, but expressed confidence he would be able to do so.

"At this time, we don't have any evidence of foul play," he said about Smith's death.

Thursday's ruling capped several days of unusual courtroom proceedings that touched on child custody and paternity, though the issue at hand was limited to the disposition of Smith's body. Some called the proceedings a circus. (Full story)

Before ruling, Seidlin told the parties in the case, "I feel for you, I absolutely feel for you." (Read the judge's ruling (PDF))

"I've reviewed absolutely everything. I've suffered with this," Seidlin said.

He addressed Smith's mother several times as "mama" and told her and the others he was trying to reach an equitable decision. (Thursday's testimony)

Thursday's decision does not mean that legal issues related to Smith will end soon. Birkhead's lawyers filed a motion in a Florida family court asking for an emergency hearing to be held Friday morning to request that a DNA sample be taken from Dannielynn.

Smith married Texas oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II in 1994 when he was 89 and she was 26. She had been fighting his family over his estimated $500 million fortune since his death in 1995.

I understand Anna's first husband wanted her and her son to buried together in Bahamas (side by side) plus he told the court via phone that he did not want them to be buried in Texas. He also mentioned that the bond between mother and son were so strong, so therefore, it is better off for them to be buried together. I agreed with him on the part of burial.

I admitted that I am glad that the tearful judge to choose a court appointed legal guardian for Dannielynn because we don't know who the father yet. I don't want Dannielynn to be with that creep. I hope the DNA test will tell and resolve the problem as soon as possible. Hopefully, Larry will win the custody of Dannielynn and move on. But, we will see what happens soon anyway.

Virgie is going to appeal the decision on burial because she wanted anna and her son to be buried in Texas. I learned that her son, Daniel, was buried in the the Bahamas illegally because he was not a citizen of the Bahamas so was Anna. Ofc, legal issues still go on...

Fla. judge mocked over Anna Nicole case
Fla. judge mocked over Anna Nicole case - Yahoo! News

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - From the state that brought you the hanging chad, now comes the crying judge. Some members of the bar and other court-watchers are cringing over the way Judge Larry Seidlin wept — no, sobbed — on live, national TV as he announced a ruling Thursday in the dispute over where Anna Nicole Smith should be buried.

Some are accusing the brash former New York cab driver of showboating for the cameras, or worse, auditioning for his own courtroom TV show, with his one-liners, his personal asides, and his smart-alecky Bronx delivery during the six-day hearing.

They say that he let the hearing drag on way too long, that he made inappropriate jokes for a dispute over a body, that he acted as if it were all about him.

"He's like Judge Judy's wacky little brother," legal analyst Jefrey Toobin quipped on CNN.

The New York Post called him a "Weepy Wacko," while the Daily News asked, "How Low Can This Judge Go?" and referred to him as "Blubbering Seidlin." One of the Miami's most celebrated defense attorneys, Roy Black, said of the circus-like scene in Seidlin's courtroom: "I sort of think it gives circuses a bad name."

Black said he was torn between being entertained as a spectator and being horrified as a legal professional.

"I thought he was one of the most entertaining things I had ever seen. He could be a TV judge. He could be a stand-up comic. However, I think he makes a horrible judge," Black said. "He doesn't follow any of the rules or procedures."

In court, the 56-year-old Seidlin talked about his wife and divulged the minutiae of his days, mentioning his morning swim and the tuna sandwich he was having when assigned the case. He called Dr. Joshua Perper, the medical examiner, "Dr. Pepper." Lawyers became known by their home states of "Texas" or "California." The hearing often became a free-for-all, with the various parties talking at the same time.

On the last day of the hearing, Seidlin cut witnesses off altogether. From the bench, he freely aired his thoughts, including "I feel for you, Mama" to Smith's mother. And just when everyone was ready for testimony to spill into one final day, he issued his ruling.

In the end, though, Black said he agreed with Seidlin's tearful ruling that custody of Smith's body go to the court-appointed lawyer representing her 5-month-old baby, Dannielynn, and he said he thought the judge's emotions were genuine.

"I believe that he sincerely tried to do the right thing," he said. "But while the end result is correct, it made a mockery of the system of justice."

The baby's lawyer ultimately decided to have Smith buried in the Bahamas, which was what Seidlin had fervently wished for from the bench. That decision represented a defeat for Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, who wanted to bury the starlet in her native Texas.

One of Arthur's attorneys, John O'Quinn, said of the judge: "The entire nation was watching him and so he wanted to do the most bizarre thing he could."

John Thompson, a Coral Gables lawyer, said Seidlin made a mockery of the judicial process.

"If this is how a Circuit Court judge is supposed to act," he said, "then the Florida Supreme Court should issue an order directing that henceforth sitting judges can wear not just robes but rather opt for the clownish outfit of a carnival barker."

Seidlin declined to comment Friday, saying it wouldn't be appropriate. His only hope might be that the whole thing will eventually go away.

"You're all done with me," he said as he prepared to make his ruling Thursday. "I'm not going to talk about this case ever again."

At one point earlier this week, Seidlin rejected some of the characterizations of his courtroom: "There's no circus here, my friend."

Seidlin does have his admirers, too, including the attorneys for Larry Birkhead, one of at least two men who claim to be the father of Smith's baby.

"Sometimes lightening up a little helps everyone relax," said one, Susan Brown.

Eve Preminger, a former New York judge, said Seidlin could have curtailed his comments and held back his feelings, but he shouldn't be criticized so intensely for it.

"I just don't think it's the worst sin a judge could commit," she said. "I'd rather have an overemotional judge who cares than a mean judge who doesn't. We judges are so concerned with our dignity that sometimes we lose sight of the human issues."

Anna Nicole's Ex-Assistant Breaks Her Silence
Anna Nicole's Ex-Assistant Breaks Her Silence | Anna Nicole Smith : People.com

Anna Nicole Smith's former assistant, Kim Walther, has spoken out for the first time, telling Entertainment Tonight that Smith's greatest role still was ahead of her.

"She wanted five more kids, and she had whole chests full of girl clothes that she had been saving over the years," Walther, who was known as "Kimmie" on the 2004 E! reality program The Anna Nicole Show, tells ET.

"I hope I'm given [the opportunity to tell baby Dannielynn about her mother one day]," she adds. "I just want her to know that her mom really was an amazing person, and loved her, and I would like to tell her the good things, you know?"

As for Dannielynn's parentage, "[Anna] told me she didn't know who the father was," says Walther, who then goes on to say, "She told me, let's see – I guess around Christmastime or shortly after New Year's – that Howard [K. Stern] was the baby's father."

Walther also says she was a witness to Smith's signing of her will. "I haven't recently read the will, so I can't really say what's in there," says Walther. "I do know that at the time she signed it, she was sound, mind and body, and that's what she had intended." (Last week it was revealed that the entire estate was left to Smith's son Daniel, who died in September.)

As for the will's executor, Stern, Walther says, "I would never think that he would do anything to harm either Daniel or Anna. Anna was his entire world. I can't even imagine what he's going through. I know what I'm going through is hard, but Howard, he's been with her for these last couple of years that I haven't been there, and I really wish people would leave him alone."

Walther also states that an Internet site that purports to be hers and which offers negative comments about Stern is the work of an imposter and does not involve her in any way.

"I called to let [Howard] know about this Web site that somebody has put up using my name and claiming to be me," she says. "[The site is] basically slandering Howard and accusing him of things like being responsible for the death of Anna Nicole and Daniel. I told him that it's not from me and that I had nothing to do with it and those aren't my feelings or sentiments at all."

To see a video clip with more of Walther's comments click here.

Meanwhile, a private hearing in the Bahamas to determine who will get custody of Dannielynn is expected to resume Monday between Stern and Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, the Associated Press reports. The judge in that case has stopped Stern from taking the 5-month-old out of the Bahamas until the matter is decided.

Also seeking guardianship of the girl is photojournalist Larry Birkhead, who, like Stern, claims to be the father of Dannielynn. "I'll go anywhere I have to," Birkhead said outside Florida's Broward County Circuit Court, where a custody battle over Anna Nicole's remains recently wrapped up. (A court-appointed attorney for Dannielynn was granted the rights. However, Smith's mother has filed an appeal to the ruling.)

Birkhead's lawyers said they planned to go to the Bahamas on Monday to request custody of the baby.

Custody fight switches from Smith to her baby
Custody fight switches from Smith to her baby - CNN.com

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A Florida judge said Friday he is not sure courts in his state -- or in California -- have the authority to order Anna Nicole Smith's DNA samples turned over for testing in a paternity dispute.

Larry Birkhead, one of several men claiming to be the father of Smith's 5-month-old daughter, Dannielynn, filed legal papers requesting the samples. The 5-month old child, Dannielynn, was born in and lives in the Bahamas.

"As you begin the staircase, step one is jurisdiction," Broward Circuit Judge Lawrence Korda told Birkhead's legal team at a brief hearing.

The attorneys provided Korda with several legal opinions that they said bolster their argument that he has jurisdiction in the case.

Birkhead filed his paternity suit in California before Smith's death.

His attorneys claim the California judge is asking the Florida court to release Smith's DNA samples -- collected by the Broward County Medical Examiner -- to Birkhead's expert.

Korda said, however, he questions "how California can give me jurisdiction to domesticate their order when they may have no better jurisdiction than I do."

Birkhead's attorneys also want Korda to order DNA samples from Dannielynn, but the judge said he would deal with that issue after jurisdiction has been established.

Birkhead was in court on Friday morning, but not Howard K. Stern, Smith's lawyer-turned-paramour who is named as the father on the baby's birth certificate.

Birkhead's lawyers sought an emergency hearing. But Korda noted that the paternity issue does not carry the same urgency as the question of who receives Smith's embalmed remains.

In contrast to the sometimes bizarre court proceedings of the past week, which legal analysts have called a circus, Korda handled the hearing in a no-nonsense manner.

At one point he told Birkhead's lawyers, "I'm not wide open for questioning such as you may be used to."

He refused to hear from attorneys for Smith and Stern, who also claims to be Dannielynn's father.

"This is a paternity case filed by Mr. Birkhead ... and I'm still trying to find out what your standing is," he told them.

Attorney Susan Brown maintained afterward that Korda "most definitely has jurisdiction over the DNA samples, which California has already asked him to provide to the DNA expert."

She added, "We also believe, reading the California orders together, he has jurisdiction to order the testing of Dannielynn, who is the bottom line in this case."

Brown said she expects a decision from Korda possibly by Monday.

"This is about Anna Nicole Smith running from Larry Birkhead (to the Bahamas)," Brown said. "Because Larry Birkhead is the father of this child, and we should be permitted to prove it, either in California, here or in the Bahamas."

The paternity hearing came a day after another judge, Larry Seidlin, granted custody of Smith's body to her infant daughter's guardian.

On Thursday, Stern and Birkhead said they agreed Smith should be buried in the Bahamas, next to her son Daniel. The men made the announcement a few minutes after Seidlin tearfully awarded custody of the body to Richard Milstein, guardian ad litem for Dannielynn. (Watch the judge's emotional ruling )

A motion to stay Seidlin's order was filed Friday by attorneys for Virgie Arthur, Smith's mother, but an appeal won't be filed until Monday, the attorneys told CNN. Arthur wanted custody of Smith's remains so she could bury her daughter in Texas near other family members.

Smith died February 8 in a Florida hotel. The cause of her death still is unknown.

Broward County Medical Examiner Joshua Perper predicted the appeal would be dismissed in short order.

"Probably in a day or two there's going to be a final decision," he told reporters. "So we'll be able to make the arrangements."

Seidlin made no secret of his wishes: "I want her buried with her son in the Bahamas," he told a stunned courtroom. "I want them to be together."

Perper, who carried out the autopsy, said it will likely take up to 14 days before he can determine the cause of death.

"At this time, we don't have any evidence of foul play," he said about Smith's death.

Thursday's ruling capped several days of unusual courtroom proceedings that touched on child custody and paternity, though the issue at hand was limited to the disposition of Smith's body. Some called the proceedings a circus. (Full story)

Before ruling, Seidlin told the parties in the case, "I feel for you, I absolutely feel for you." (Read the judge's ruling (PDF))

"I've reviewed absolutely everything. I've suffered with this," Seidlin said.

He addressed Smith's mother several times as "mama" and told her and the others he was trying to reach an equitable decision. (Thursday's testimony)

Smith married Texas oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II in 1994 when he was 89 and she was 26. She had been fighting his family over his estimated $500 million fortune since his death in 1995.

Back