AG Bell against ASL commerical

Well my dad watches the pregame...........I wish he'd told me when it was on so I could have seen it.

While I understand everyopne's anger that the commercial was shown during the pre-game, I think we are all loosing sight over the fact that Pepesico ineed did air a commercial featuring signing deaf at prime time during which the number of viewers that would see it was huge. While it would have been better if the commercial had been shown during game time, it was still on t.v. and that is still a first for the deaf community. Pespsico still managed to something that has never been done before. With the support they received for this first commercial, I would say the chance that more will follow is good.

Also, this commercial managed to bring out the real intents of A.G.Bad, and that, as well is a good thing. People who never before realized that A.G Bad was so discrimiinatory toward signing deaf, or that they were extremely audist in their practices now see A.G. Bad for exactly what they are. This will reduce support for both A.G. Bell, and other organizations like them.

While we may not have gotten the greatest exposure on Sunday, we did get more than ever before. Let's be grateful for the small steps, and use them to make even bigger steps. Let's not stop here. The next step is not to be angry with Pepsico, becuase they did provide the deaf community with exposure in a way that has never been done before. The next step is to protest A.G. Bad's stance on that exposure. IMO.

While I understand everyopne's anger that the commercial was shown during the pre-game, I think we are all loosing sight over the fact that Pepesico ineed did air a commercial featuring signing deaf at prime time during which the number of viewers that would see it was huge. While it would have been better if the commercial had been shown during game time, it was still on t.v. and that is still a first for the deaf community. Pespsico still managed to something that has never been done before. With the support they received for this first commercial, I would say the chance that more will follow is good.

Also, this commercial managed to bring out the real intents of A.G.Bad, and that, as well is a good thing. People who never before realized that A.G Bad was so discrimiinatory toward signing deaf, or that they were extremely audist in their practices now see A.G. Bad for exactly what they are. This will reduce support for both A.G. Bell, and other organizations like them.

While we may not have gotten the greatest exposure on Sunday, we did get more than ever before. Let's be grateful for the small steps, and use them to make even bigger steps. Let's not stop here. The next step is not to be angry with Pepsico, becuase they did provide the deaf community with exposure in a way that has never been done before. The next step is to protest A.G. Bad's stance on that exposure. IMO.

Very good!

So true. you got a point there.

Excellent post, Jillio. While I'm disappointed that Pepsi didn't air it during the Super Bowl commerical breaks, I am glad we got exposure. Let us hope that one day tehy will air it during Super Bowl breaks. Super Bowl ads are very big in the Adveristing industry. We can use this as a stepping stone so that one day we will see commercials like the Pepsi commercial during Super Bowl commerical breaks.

Excellent post, Jillio. While I'm disappointed that Pepsi didn't air it during the Super Bowl commerical breaks, I am glad we got exposure. Let us hope that one day tehy will air it during Super Bowl breaks. Super Bowl ads are very big in the Adveristing industry. We can use this as a stepping stone so that one day we will see commercials like the Pepsi commercial during Super Bowl commerical breaks.

:nodding in agreements:

yes I saw it too, I am surprised that they removed the article today.

Their headquarter office is relocated at:

Alexander Graham Bell Association
for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
3417 Volta Place, NW
Washington, DC 20007

Tel: 202/337-5220
TTY: 202/337-5221
Fax: 202/337-8314
Email: info@agbell.org
Website: Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Yeppers, they did take it off the web-site pretty fast and I guess they must have felt so guilty. Tsk.

Yeppers, they did take it off the web-site pretty fast and I guess they must have felt so guilty. Tsk.

I would say that all the negative emails they received from the deaf community and supporters of the deaf community had a lot to do with the ad coming off. They realized they made a BIG mistake with that letter. But.....that's okay! I have a copy of it if we need it!

So true and we can use their letter as ammunation against people who defend AGBell as this wonderful organization.

Someone said that they did help thousands of families....I told that person the key word is "family" not the deaf children themselves. That person gulped.

**nodding agreement** :ty: deafskeptic.

AGBell.info » AGBell wants to deprive Deaf people who sign of their dignity

February 6, 2008
AGBell wants to deprive Deaf people who sign of their dignity

The Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf - better know as “agBAD” - sent a letter to Pepsico recently on January 31, 2008.

This is from their statement:

“We would also like to remind you that with the amount of money Pepsi will spend on just one 60 second spot to air during the Super Bowl, you could help an untold number families obtain hearing aids and other professional services that are costly and in many cases not covered by medical insurance.”

The writing style in AG Bell’s statement is telling. It shows that they consider themselves to be superior to Deaf people who sign, and that they think deaf people who do not sign are also superior to Deaf people who sign. They are attempting to deprive us Deaf signers of the dignity that we deserve.

Also ironic is the fact that AGBell takes in over 12 million dollars a year, as many of us are aware. And what good does this do for the Deaf community? It does no good at all for Deaf people who use sign language.

I wonder how many parents fear that it would be undignified for their deaf children learn sign language, and who feel this way because of AGBell’s worldwide propaganda campaign? The attempt to smear sign language as being an inferior mode of communication, and for this they should be condemned.

John Egbert

As much as the oralist deny it, that kind of propandga is being used to play into the parents' fears about ASL and the Deaf community.

AGBell.info » AGBell wants to deprive Deaf people who sign of their dignity

February 6, 2008
AGBell wants to deprive Deaf people who sign of their dignity

The Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf - better know as “agBAD” - sent a letter to Pepsico recently on January 31, 2008.

This is from their statement:

“We would also like to remind you that with the amount of money Pepsi will spend on just one 60 second spot to air during the Super Bowl, you could help an untold number families obtain hearing aids and other professional services that are costly and in many cases not covered by medical insurance.”

The writing style in AG Bell’s statement is telling. It shows that they consider themselves to be superior to Deaf people who sign, and that they think deaf people who do not sign are also superior to Deaf people who sign. They are attempting to deprive us Deaf signers of the dignity that we deserve.

Also ironic is the fact that AGBell takes in over 12 million dollars a year, as many of us are aware. And what good does this do for the Deaf community? It does no good at all for Deaf people who use sign language.

I wonder how many parents fear that it would be undignified for their deaf children learn sign language, and who feel this way because of AGBell’s worldwide propaganda campaign? The attempt to smear sign language as being an inferior mode of communication, and for this they should be condemned.

John Egbert

As much as the oralist deny it, that kind of propandga is being used to play into the parents' fears about ASL and the Deaf community.

**nodding agreement** And that is exactly what is so despicable about the organization. Thanks for this post. It is just more evidence of the destructiveness behind that oralist agenda.

Back