AG Bell against ASL commerical

Exactly. This is one issue we all need to come together on. Everyone needs to send an email protest. Don't sit back and say "oh, everyone else is protesting, so I don't need to." Every single email counts.

Agreed. If one can't do it then it takes a whole group. The bigger the group becomes, the more powerful it becomes.

DeafDC Blog » My Response to Karen Youdelman’s and Alexander T. Graham’s Pepsico Letter

My Response to Karen Youdelman’s and Alexander T. Graham’s Pepsico Letter
By Chris Heuer on Sun 3 Feb 2008 | Email This Post

I’m a regular blogger here on Deaf DC.com, but I have been away from the blogsphere for the better part of a month now because my son was born just a few weeks ago. He’s a full-time job in and of himself–if you have children of your own I’m sure you can understand what I’m talking about.

I mention my son here only because his birth factors into something that I want to say to the both of you as two current leaders of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. The first blog that I read on your recent letter to Pepsico was written by my fellow DeafDC.com blogger Shane Feldman. He didn’t print your entire letter, though he did provide a link to your website. To be honest with you, I didn’t click on the link in order to read the original letter—nor did I comment on Shane Feldman’s post—because I was just too exhausted. To be clear, my exhaustion does not stem from my new role or responsibilities as a father. My exhaustion comes from having to deal with attitudes such as yours.

It appears that not so long ago Catherine Murphy, your Director of Communications, issued a memo to the Indiana AG Bell Chapter Leadership outlining how to deal with those who have been protesting against your organization as of late. This memo contains several planned “media messages.” I would like to draw your attention to three:

1) AG Bell recognizes there are many choices available to parents when their child is diagnosed with a hearing loss, including spoken language, sign language and total communication.

2) AG Bell supports informed choice and serves as a resource for those parents who specifically choose spoken language education for their deaf or hard of hearing children.

3) AG Bell does not “prohibit” or is not “against” the use of sign language if parents decide that is the best course of action for their child. AG Bell simply supports those who choose the use of spoken language for their child by serving as a resource for those families.

There are no doubt many people who believe that the above three statements are true. I do not.

In his blog, Shane Feldman did not post the parts of your letter to Pepsico that read:

“Your advertisement perpetuates a common myth that all people who are deaf can only communicate using sign language and are, therefore, isolated from the rest of society… We would also like to remind you that with the amount of money Pepsi will spend on just one 60 second spot to air during the Super Bowl, you could help an untold number of families obtain hearing aids and other professional services that are costly and in many cases not covered by medical insurance.”

These statements are analyzed elsewhere (by fellow blogger Mishka Zena). In fact it wasn’t until I read what she had to say that I finally clicked on Shane Feldman’s link and read your letter in its entirety. Upon reading it, even though I am still as exhausted as I was before I sat down at my computer, even though I’d much rather be spending this time with my son, and even though the Deaf blogsphere is by now replete with outraged postings regarding your recent letter to Pepsico, I have nonetheless decided to stay at my computer and write my own response to you. Would you like to know why?

I am not entirely sure yet whether my son is hearing, deaf, or hard-of-hearing.

He failed his first hearing test at the hospital, you see, and even though the doctors reassured me and told me not to worry—that many newborns’ ears are still filled with fluids shortly after birth and therefore many of these newborns fail their initial hearing test… they’d test him again in the morning—I didn’t sleep that night.

I wasn’t worried about him “being deaf.” I’m deaf, after all, and I have proudly made my deafness into a central part of my identity. I was worried about him growing up deaf in this world. I was scared for him to grow up deaf in our current educational landscape. I was scared of fourth grade reading levels. I was frightened for him to grow up facing the same rejection and outright hostility I faced at times—not only from the “Hearing World” but also from other Deaf, deaf, and hard-of-hearing people. I was frightened because I’ve spent my whole career hearing horror story after horror story from (or interacting with outright) parents who had to ceaselessly fight “the System” to get basic services, or parents who didn’t care enough to fight at all. I have always dreaded coming into contact with the latter group—but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m ready to join ranks with the former as a parent myself.

I have a friend with two kids. He told me that the moment you hold your child in your hands for the first time after he or she is born, the psychological remnants of your old life will drop away; the life that you lived largely for yourself. You will truly realize that your world is bigger than just you. I’ll be honest. When I first held my son in my hands, all I could think about was how beautiful he was. I didn’t have that “moment” my friend spoke of until my son failed his first hearing test. After that it wasn’t a moment. A “moment” ends. What I feel: this disturbance, this lingering sense of fear and unease, still hasn’t gone away. I don’t think it ever will. And I think that one source of of these feelings is you. By that I do not only mean you two as individuals—Karen Youdelman and Alexander T. Graham—nor even through your representation the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

I also mean you: people who recreate the world I grew up in, intentionally or not; a world that apparently neither understands Deaf people nor makes more than a superficial effort to embrace them (or American Sign Language). Now it’s one thing when you create that world around me. I have survived despite the unceasing interference of you in every step made, no matter how simple or positive, toward building a world where American Sign Language is truly considered by parents as a feasible communication option for their deaf children; a world in which they do not fear this language, or buy into the same “isolation” myths that you imply they (as members of “society”) believed from the very beginning, through no doing or undue influence of your own. I think you play a much bigger part in that myth’s perpetuation than you’re willing to accept or ever have been. I think this myth that ‘Hearing Society’ supposedly believes is actually your projection onto them. Without your influence they probably wouldn’t have otherwise known what to think about the impact of American Sign Language on the so-called “isolation” of deaf people.

I don’t know how I’m going to do it yet, but I swear this to you: I will not let the world I grew up in, the world you helped create, become the world my son grows up in.

Perhaps I will start by comparing your letter to Pepsico with the three statements made in the Indiana AG Bell Chapter Leadership memo, and sharing my analysis with anyone who cares to read it: To me, you are not an organization that recognizes that there are indeed “many” choices available to parents… including sign language. Your organization is not a mere “resource” for those parents who specifically choose spoken language for their deaf or hard of hearing children. You don’t just “simply support” them. Those terms imply that you are far more neutral than you are. And while I personally never seriously entertained the notion that your organization was anything but neutral, in my book, your letter shows me that I was right not to. I see your letter to Pepsico as a criticism against ASL-users (as well as those who support them or otherwise assist them in advancing awareness and appreciation of the language and of American Deaf Culture) that you need not have made. Pepsico is not the problem. You are.

My son passed his second hearing test, though we will have a follow-up hearing test soon just to be sure. No matter what we find out, you can bet that American Sign Language and English will continue to be the two primary languages used in our household. In fact, we will be a family because of American Sign Language. If my son is hearing, through ASL I will not be isolated from him, and he will not be isolated from me. If he is deaf, or becomes deaf, the result will be the same. American Sign Language will bring us together, just as ASL brings together—and always has brought together—countless souls in our society.

The day you find within yourselves room for this truth will be the day I’ll be less afraid for any deaf child growing up this world.

I will email with my business email address later tonight ;)

DeafDC Blog » My Response to Karen Youdelman’s and Alexander T. Graham’s Pepsico Letter

I’m a regular blogger here on Deaf DC.com, but I have been away from the blogsphere for the better part of a month now because my son was born just a few weeks ago. He’s a full-time job in and of himself–if you have children of your own I’m sure you can understand what I’m talking about.

I mention my son here only because his birth factors into something that I want to say to the both of you as two current leaders of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. The first blog that I read on your recent letter to Pepsico was written by my fellow DeafDC.com blogger Shane Feldman. He didn’t print your entire letter, though he did provide a link to your website. To be honest with you, I didn’t click on the link in order to read the original letter—nor did I comment on Shane Feldman’s post—because I was just too exhausted. To be clear, my exhaustion does not stem from my new role or responsibilities as a father. My exhaustion comes from having to deal with attitudes such as yours.

It appears that not so long ago Catherine Murphy, your Director of Communications, issued a memo to the Indiana AG Bell Chapter Leadership outlining how to deal with those who have been protesting against your organization as of late. This memo contains several planned “media messages.” I would like to draw your attention to three:

1) AG Bell recognizes there are many choices available to parents when their child is diagnosed with a hearing loss, including spoken language, sign language and total communication.

2) AG Bell supports informed choice and serves as a resource for those parents who specifically choose spoken language education for their deaf or hard of hearing children.

3) AG Bell does not “prohibit” or is not “against” the use of sign language if parents decide that is the best course of action for their child. AG Bell simply supports those who choose the use of spoken language for their child by serving as a resource for those families.

There are no doubt many people who believe that the above three statements are true. I do not.

In his blog, Shane Feldman did not post the parts of your letter to Pepsico that read:

“Your advertisement perpetuates a common myth that all people who are deaf can only communicate using sign language and are, therefore, isolated from the rest of society… We would also like to remind you that with the amount of money Pepsi will spend on just one 60 second spot to air during the Super Bowl, you could help an untold number of families obtain hearing aids and other professional services that are costly and in many cases not covered by medical insurance.”

These statements are analyzed elsewhere (by fellow blogger Mishka Zena). In fact it wasn’t until I read what she had to say that I finally clicked on Shane Feldman’s link and read your letter in its entirety. Upon reading it, even though I am still as exhausted as I was before I sat down at my computer, even though I’d much rather be spending this time with my son, and even though the Deaf blogsphere is by now replete with outraged postings regarding your recent letter to Pepsico, I have nonetheless decided to stay at my computer and write my own response to you. Would you like to know why?

He failed his first hearing test at the hospital, you see, and even though the doctors reassured me and told me not to worry—that many newborns’ ears are still filled with fluids shortly after birth and therefore many of these newborns fail their initial hearing test… they’d test him again in the morning—I didn’t sleep that night.

I wasn’t worried about him “being deaf.” I’m deaf, after all, and I have proudly made my deafness into a central part of my identity. I was worried about him growing up deaf in this world. I was scared for him to grow up deaf in our current educational landscape. I was scared of fourth grade reading levels. I was frightened for him to grow up facing the same rejection and outright hostility I faced at times—not only from the “Hearing World” but also from other Deaf, deaf, and hard-of-hearing people. I was frightened because I’ve spent my whole career hearing horror story after horror story from (or interacting with outright) parents who had to ceaselessly fight “the System” to get basic services, or parents who didn’t care enough to fight at all. I have always dreaded coming into contact with the latter group—but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m ready to join ranks with the former as a parent myself.

I have a friend with two kids. He told me that the moment you hold your child in your hands for the first time after he or she is born, the psychological remnants of your old life will drop away; the life that you lived largely for yourself. You will truly realize that your world is bigger than just you. I’ll be honest. When I first held my son in my hands, all I could think about was how beautiful he was. I didn’t have that “moment” my friend spoke of until my son failed his first hearing test. After that it wasn’t a moment. A “moment” ends. What I feel: this disturbance, this lingering sense of fear and unease, still hasn’t gone away. I don’t think it ever will. And I think that one source of of these feelings is you. By that I do not only mean you two as individuals—Karen Youdelman and Alexander T. Graham—nor even through your representation the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

I also mean you: people who recreate the world I grew up in, intentionally or not; a world that apparently neither understands Deaf people nor makes more than a superficial effort to embrace them (or American Sign Language). Now it’s one thing when you create that world around me. I have survived despite the unceasing interference of you in every step made, no matter how simple or positive, toward building a world where American Sign Language is truly considered by parents as a feasible communication option for their deaf children; a world in which they do not fear this language, or buy into the same “isolation” myths that you imply they (as members of “society”) believed from the very beginning, through no doing or undue influence of your own. I think you play a much bigger part in that myth’s perpetuation than you’re willing to accept or ever have been. I think this myth that ‘Hearing Society’ supposedly believes is actually your projection onto them. Without your influence they probably wouldn’t have otherwise known what to think about the impact of American Sign Language on the so-called “isolation” of deaf people.

I don’t know how I’m going to do it yet, but I swear this to you: I will not let the world I grew up in, the world you helped create, become the world my son grows up in.

Perhaps I will start by comparing your letter to Pepsico with the three statements made in the Indiana AG Bell Chapter Leadership memo, and sharing my analysis with anyone who cares to read it: To me, you are not an organization that recognizes that there are indeed “many” choices available to parents… including sign language. Your organization is not a mere “resource” for those parents who specifically choose spoken language for their deaf or hard of hearing children. You don’t just “simply support” them. Those terms imply that you are far more neutral than you are. And while I personally never seriously entertained the notion that your organization was anything but neutral, in my book, your letter shows me that I was right not to. I see your letter to Pepsico as a criticism against ASL-users (as well as those who support them or otherwise assist them in advancing awareness and appreciation of the language and of American Deaf Culture) that you need not have made. Pepsico is not the problem. You are.

My son passed his second hearing test, though we will have a follow-up hearing test soon just to be sure. No matter what we find out, you can bet that American Sign Language and English will continue to be the two primary languages used in our household. In fact, we will be a family because of American Sign Language. If my son is hearing, through ASL I will not be isolated from him, and he will not be isolated from me. If he is deaf, or becomes deaf, the result will be the same. American Sign Language will bring us together, just as ASL brings together—and always has brought together—countless souls in our society.

The day you find within yourselves room for this truth will be the day I’ll be less afraid for any deaf child growing up this world.

ABGELL is going to be creaaaaaamed for sure. :lol:

What a wonderful, eloquent letter! I have goose bumps!

*pulls his sleeves up again -- and builds carefully a nice large TNT and he was pleased that it is done and he carefully placed it in the airtight box and jumped in his SUV and drives up to the AGBELL building -- it's night time -- carefully places the TNT underneath the building and sets for the 8 o'clock destruction.*

* off topic a bit *

I wouldn't surprise if, in the future, deaf parents have deaf babies then anti-deafies will take deaf babies from parents, and to place those infants up for adoption after implanting them. Much more anti-deaf things in years and years in forward.. =/

* end off topic *

Dang, I still cant believe why are they always picking on Deaf community? Ugh.

I think AG Bell's headquarters is in Washington, DC. That will be found out really quickly about what's happening because there's a huge amount of deaf people living in the metro area, including the fellow Alldeafers here.

AG Bell Speaks Up About Pepsi Super Bowl Commercial
On January 31, AG Bell President Karen Youdelman and Executive Director Alexander T. Graham sent a letter to Pepsi corporate executives about its upcoming Super Bowl commercial, “Bob’s House,” featuring deaf characters. Click here to read the entire letter. Stay tuned for an upcoming edition of AG Bell Update highlighting member feedback and comment. Please feel free to provide your comments about the commercial directly to Pepsi or to AG Bell. To receive AG Bell Update click here.

From their website.

Also, the upcoming convention in June is in Milwaukee.

I think AG Bell's headquarters is in Washington, DC. That will be found out really quickly about what's happening because there's a huge amount of deaf people living in the metro area, including the fellow Alldeafers here.

So True!

Here is a copy of the original letter:

January 31, 2008
Ms. Julie Hamp Senior Vice President
PepsiCo Communications
700 Anderson Hill Road Purchase, NY 10577
Dear. Ms. Hamp,
On behalf of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (AG Bell), we are writing in regards to the airing of your upcoming Super Bowl commercial highlighting deaf characters. Established in 1890, AG Bell is the only national organization dedicated to supporting children and adults who are deaf or hard of hearing who use spoken language and hearing technology to communicate in mainstream society.
Although we appreciate Pepsi’s efforts to encourage new promotional ideas from your rank-and-file employees and your willingness to celebrate diversity, we would be remiss if we did not call your attention to the fact that your advertisement offers a limited view of the deaf community. Since you have chosen the Super Bowl as the forum to launch this campaign, and because of Pepsi’s size and stature, we feel a responsibility to offer our perspective on this somewhat misleading stereotype presented in your advertisement.
We trust you understand that deaf and hard of hearing individuals are a diverse group and therefore do not fit into a single, distinct culture. Your advertisement perpetuates a common myth that all people who are deaf can only communicate using sign language and are, therefore, isolated from the rest of society. In fact, today’s hearing technology, coupled with early screening identification and intervention, has led to incredible advances in listening and spoken language skill development. Of the more than 30 million Americans who live with hearing loss, the majority use spoken language as their primary mode of communication.
We would also like to remind you that with the amount of money Pepsi will spend on just one 60 second spot to air during the Super Bowl, you could help an untold number of families obtain hearing aids and other professional services that are costly and in many cases not covered by medical insurance. We would be very willing to work with Pepsi to develop some creative ideas to promote other facets of the deaf community and to highlight positive role models who have met the challenges of this condition and thrived using spoken language. In addition, we invite and encourage your participation at our 2008 convention to be held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, June 27-30; the largest gathering of families with deaf and hard of hearing children in the world.
Your continued involvement in this issue would go a long way to educate the public about this oftentimes invisible condition and promote appreciation for those individuals that go above and beyond to overcome the absence of something many of us take for granted – the miracle of sound.
Sincerely,
Karen Youdelman, Ed.D. Alexander T. Graham
President Executive Director

E^T@#$%&^Y$@^&#%^Y QERH I'm piss'n off..
I'm going rant this fucking AGBELL=AGBAD!

:h5: I am agree with you. I wish I am become a protester against AGbell.
I wish I can get arrested for this. BUT, man, I can't do it. I don't want to jail;
or getting a misdemeanoror arrest record for the rest of my life. Damn AGbell!
AGbell are a%^holes!

I'll Dare!!!!

:h5: I am agree with you. I wish I am become a protester against AGbell.
I wish I can get arrested for this. BUT, man, I can't do it. I don't want to jail;
or getting a misdemeanoror arrest record for the rest of my life. Damn AGbell!
AGbell are a%^holes!

Tomorow, I will go buy THICK HARD PAPER AND HUGE LETTERS..
"AGBELL IS DISCRIMINATION against Deaf Community.
Where is Pepsi Deaf Commercial "Bob's House"?
Sign post on my PROPERTY.. I will dare!
Watch me..
I'll take picture REAL LIVE RECORD CAMERA.

Tomorow, I will go buy THICK HARD PAPER AND HUGE LETTERS..
"AGBELL IS DISCRIMINATION against Deaf Community.
Where is Pepsi Deaf Commercial "Bob's House"?
Sign post on my PROPERTY.. I will dare!
Watch me..
I'll take picture REAL LIVE RECORD CAMERA.

Better in this "AGBELL discriminates the deaf community - Why?"

Not everyone watch pre-game so why did they place it in there? It's better during the game because of more audience and less miss the commerical.

UPDATED...
That was pre-game before started the football superbowl..

Only once aired..
Wha.. heck?

and also update news:
NAD Works With PepsiCo on Super Bowl Ad in American Sign Language - National Association of the Deaf
Obvouisly everyone are missed watch PRE-SHOWING before started the football superbowl..

(sigh)

It was 4 hour pre-game talk show, I think the commercial was part of it. I wasn't going to watch the whole 4 hour pre-game talk show. I am going to sue pepsico for not saying "that AD will be in pre-game talk show" instead of "commercial on Super Bowl Ad". That is big difference right there. Brb let me :smash: on the pepsi can.

UPDATED...
That was pre-game before started the football superbowl..

Only once aired..
Wha.. heck?

and also update news:
NAD Works With PepsiCo on Super Bowl Ad in American Sign Language - National Association of the Deaf
Obvouisly everyone are missed watch PRE-SHOWING before started the football superbowl..

(sigh)

Noooooooooooooo! I missed it! It was not there in the Myspace ads for Superbowl -- where it is -- cause this ad was in pre-game event?! I think it is wrong to miss the commercial before the game. That make
more audience to miss out for this. What a sad shame.
They should to catch on the commercial with ASL that most people don't know about ASL for the deaf people.

Last edited:
Back