Advice? We want our son to be mainstreamed. He wants to go to the School for the Deaf

Hi everyone,

Our son Jason, 13, has been deaf since birth and mainstreamed all the way through school. We primarily sign but he also speaks and lip reads. He has an ASL interpreter in the classroom and spends one period a day in speech therapy as an elective class. Other than that, he's a typical middle schooler.

He's a wrestler, and very good at it. Last year as a 7th grader, he wrestled high school JV. They had an away meet at the state school for the deaf and blind. He won his match against an 11th grader. He came home and we had the following conversation:

"I want to go to deaf school."

"Why?"

"I spent the day with people like me. I want to do that all the time. I want to be with people who understand me when I sign, and who I can understand. I don't like trying to speak to people who can't understand me. I don't like trying to lip read people I can't understand. I don't like wearing hearing aids and pretending they help me understand better, 'cause they don't. I am a DEAF PERSON and I want to be with DEAF PEOPLE!"

We're at a crossroads. We want Jason to be able to function in the wider world, so we've always brought him up around hearing people. We don't want to limit him. He doesn't like the school where he is; part of that is related to his deafness and part of it isn't. We want him to be happy. He's a smart boy, and we think he's got a good understanding of what would make him happy. But we don't want to pull him out of the mainstream. This is a big step for us. What advice would you give us?

Thanks,

Alexandra and John, Jason's parents

:shock:

I read this as I was browsing the site for the first time. I joined right away so I could respond to you.

Without going into detail about my history, I will say that I was kept out of the deaf world by my parents. I went to hearing schools and was not socialized with other deaf children as I grew up. The result has been devastating.

I was left out, and never was able to keep up. I ended up isolating myself and went through (am still going through) social handicaps related to stunted social development. I am now 37 years old and find myself unable to get through a job interview without severe anxiety attacks. I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder and the reasons have much to do with the lack of a healthy social development that is so crucial during the teenage years.

When I was 23 I went to Gallaudet University (a university for the Deaf) and my world opened up. I was home. It sounds corny but it was as if a phone had found its cradle. It was where I belonged. Your son longs for such a world, and he deserves it. Besides that, he needs it. Not just emotionally, psychologically, but DEVELOPMENTALLY.

My parents did what they thought was best, but they didn't help me at all. They only increased my isolation, and made things harder for me than necessary. My deaf friends that were socialized in deaf schools are all successful and secure in good jobs. Most of the Deaf people I graduated college with are successful. I am 37 and unemployed. I am stuck in a rut that I can't find my way out of, despite my education (I have a BA degree from Gallaudet.)

I am not saying that it is my parents' fault I am unemployed as an adult, but my struggles would have been considerably lessened had I had the foundation I truly needed. A foundation that, despite my parents' needs, was not available to me in the hearing world.

Despite my parents' efforts to raise me around the hearing (the wider world), I found my way to the Deaf world anyway because only they can give me what I need. Which is what your son is likely going to do the minute he can. Why not let him start now? The younger he starts it, the better for him.

Also, while I was at Gallaudet, I was made aware of some research that showed that deaf children that are educated in deaf schools end up doing better academically than those that were mainstreamed. Especially with English. I am sorry I am not prepared to show you the data but it is readily available at Gallaudet or MSSD (Model Secondary School for the Deaf).

Gallaudet University is a good place to start.

If you want to get a balanced perspective about your son's education (which it seems you do), I suggest you speak to those that specialize in deaf education. Better yet, speak with deaf educators that are deaf themselves. I took several education classes at Gallaudet and I distinctly remember learning about how deaf kids are more successful if they are educated in deaf schools.

Also, I have to say that speech therapy (which I went through myself) is a humiliating experience. I have nothing but bad memories of it, and it didn't help anyway. I would consider letting him have an elective class instead.

I know it is a big decision, and a family decision, but I hope you hear me. PLEASE, for his sake, let your deaf son be Deaf.

Sincerely,
Rebecca

PS, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me. rebkeh@sprint.blackberry.net or rebkeh@yahoo.com

I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have regarding your son, deafness, and the experience of being deaf in a hearing world.

OOPS!

Boy I'm a day late and a dollar short. I didn't read up to the last post of the thread, just the first few.

Jason, that post was for your parents and I am SOOOOOO happy they decided to let you go to a deaf school.

CONGRATS!

Now, show them it was the right decision (*wink*) and be the best you can be.

and let your parents read my post if they want any reassurance their decision was the right one.

WOW!!!!!!!

Rebkah, your story is sooooo eerily similiar to mine! I had social anxiety until I went to therapy but even to this day despite being more confident in myself, I still feel my anxiety level rise whenever I am in a social situation without any sign language but I have gotten better at being aggressive with hearing people about meeting my deaf needs. Before, I would just pretend to know what everyone was saying and sweat bullets if I get asked something that I didnt understand or stress constantly about misunderstandings.

Everything else u said is basically the same as my story which is why I connected with your post.

I am really sorry that you are struggling and I hope you find your way out of the rut you are in. You deserve much more! :hug:

hi, this is Jason, my parents are officialy letting me go to deafschool! thank you every one for your help.

That is wonderful and like everyone else says; Do let us all know how the progress is. I am sure you will be able to find what is right for you down the road. Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
hi, this is Jason, my parents are officialy letting me go to deafschool! thank you every one for your help.
YEAH!!!!! That is AWESOME!!!
And I do 100% agree with Rebekah. You know....if it hadn't been for an AMAZING mainstream camp that I attended as a teen, I'd probaly be all messed up emotionally and socially.
A word of advice.....it might be hard socially at first.....but stick with it! You'll make friends, and maybe even have a significent other!

Yes, but Koko....how old are you? Back in the old days, the expectations at the Deaf Schools weren't great b/c they thought that kids with physical issues couldn't acheive on a par with nondisabled kids. Now the problem tends to be that the deaf school is the last resort placement....Not always....there are MANY good deaf schools. Things have changed a lot!

Even if it were today, it wouldn't be beneficial for me to go to a deaf school. Back in those days my Mom got by with what information she could find. Today, it'd be either regular school or mainstreamed school for me but certainly not a deaf school.

Even if it were today, it wouldn't be beneficial for me to go to a deaf school. Back in those days my Mom got by with what information she could find. Today, it'd be either regular school or mainstreamed school for me but certainly not a deaf school.

U never know...

but good for u anyway.

U never know...

but good for u anyway.

Oh, I know. My mother and I had that discussion before. I would've gone to a regular school if I were 7, 8, 9, 10 and so on just as I did back then. Thank goodness. Technology today is soo much better than it was 35 years ago.

Oh, I know. My mother and I had that discussion before. I would've gone to a regular school if I were 7, 8, 9, 10 and so on just as I did back then. Thank goodness. Technology today is soo much better than it was 35 years ago.

I feel the same way. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that I'd be much happier in a regular school than if I had gone to a deaf school. And it still applies today. However, seems like there's only a few of us.

A lot of people feel that they would be so much happier if they went to a deaf school. You see a lot more of this than the other way around (a deaf person wanting to go to an oral school). It makes perfect sense. At a deaf school, a deaf person fits in, they are "normal" and on equal level with their peers and they understand everything that's going on around them education and social wise.

To the parent who made this thread, I think you made the right choice, especially when your son was asking to go.

Back