Advice needed!

Anum

Reaction score
My name is Anum Butt. I am deaf. I am very fluent in BSL. I enrolled into BSL level 1 already and passed. I am currently doing BSL level 2 and 3. I am looking to work/volunteer/apprenticeship encouraging deaf people with BSL communication skills. I have a very brilliant oral and BSL communication skills. I have so many experiences in deaf world. I went to a mainstream school called Mary Hare School for the Deaf for 8 years. I studied GCSEs and Alevels. I am struggling to find work. I am wondering if there are any chance you could help me out? That would be much appreciated! Looking forward to hear from you.

I would suggest being a private tutor for other deaf. You could either teach the language itself or another discipline such as computers, etc. Offer your services at a local collage for students in need(place an ad on a bulleton board). :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

My name is Anum Butt. I am deaf. I am very fluent in BSL. I enrolled into BSL level 1 already and passed. I am currently doing BSL level 2 and 3. I am looking to work/volunteer/apprenticeship encouraging deaf people with BSL communication skills. I have a very brilliant oral and BSL communication skills. I have so many experiences in deaf world. I went to a mainstream school called Mary Hare School for the Deaf for 8 years. I studied GCSEs and Alevels. I am struggling to find work. I am wondering if there are any chance you could help me out? That would be much appreciated! Looking forward to hear from you.

Excellent.... I'm a little confused about how if you're fluent in BSL, why you took a BSL course. Also Mary Hare is a separate school for the Deaf, not a mainstream school.
Maybe you could apply to be dorm staff at a Deaf School? Maybe contact Mary Hare and see if they might have some advice?

That school is for deaf kids.to get level one is quite hard if op do level 3 that very good..although these days often level 1 and 2 BSL then ASL will be taught aswel.I never did ASL
not unusual be taught using BSL with oral and some point do BSL level exams,you can be fluent but unless got them BSL exams you not get far working in deaf field.
I have sent OP relevant advice on pm

I am very fluent in bsl, the reasons why I did the courses because I needed the qualification as evidence for the future in case I apply for any jobs that is involved with BSL.

But won't they need someone who got experience in dorm staff? I don't have any of that experience.

But won't they need someone who got experience in dorm staff? I don't have any of that experience.

Well again, it's worth a try.... You're Sign fluent and are a product of a Deaf School which is a HUGE advantage......If you have childcare experiance they could count that as experiance.
Maybe do something with outreach to hearing parents, encouraging them to pursue a full toolbox for their dhh kids.... Also maybe try to change the mentality that audilogically HOH kids don't "need" stuff like BSL and deaf ed (either deaf school or dhh program)

I am very fluent in bsl, the reasons why I did the courses because I needed the qualification as evidence for the future in case I apply for any jobs that is involved with BSL.

he is right,you can be fluent but.aint no way he going get job in deaf field if they require someone with BSL...often deaf don't do exams in sign no reason....I was well pissed few years back I wanted a job that required level 3 I sign to that level which fluent for needs of most deaf but bc I never bothered to do that level exam I lost job to a heari who I think had level 2..
forgot tell OP Durham uni do lots of things pertaining to BSL...If op use info I sent him he should be ok
OP lives same place I did and judging by his name I assuming he Pakistani or bengladash bc there deaf social life in that area from those society.He get better advice on limping chicken and I would thought he know that

Hi Anum,
It's great to meet a Butt here!! I had a friend who also has the same last name Butt! :)
It's good that you have skills in BSL. Why don't you try volunteering at community centers. It might help. You can try volunteering or apply for job at large companies where they hire people with signing skills. I remember visiting an ANZ Bank office in Bangalore, India last year and I saw a group of people signing in ASL and ISL (Indian sign language). Apparently, the group were there to help deaf candidates in the interview process and also help deaf employees settle in and teach hearing employees sign language too! Probably that might work for you if you are in London.
Hope this helps. Cheers!

Back