Advantages of being deaf

Mc Gusto

Reaction score
Ok i don't know if this thread has been done before .How can you use your deafness to an advantage or as a way of getting things or getting out of them ?
A couple off the top of my head-Getting out of talking/communicating to people who you don't want to talk to , not having to listen to sounds that are annoying (by turning off aid/c.i ) , avoiding occupations that you don't want to do (even if you could do it) and when someone asks you a question that you are going to respond to with a lie -asking them to repeat themselves while you think of something to say :lol: .I think that being a deaf person puts you to some disadvantage in life (some people may not agree on that) that you should use the advantages to balance it out a bit

one of my advantages is I get to sleep more peacefully at night where I don't hear tick tick tick tick from clock, or raindrops on the roof, or dripping water in the sink or hear my dog barking all night. People screaming or hollaring, i can just turn my hearing aids off. :D

Mc Gusto said:
Ok i don't know if this thread has been done before .How can you use your deafness to an advantage or as a way of getting things or getting out of them ?
A couple off the top of my head-Getting out of talking/communicating to people who you don't want to talk to , not having to listen to sounds that are annoying (by turning off aid/c.i ) , avoiding occupations that you don't want to do (even if you could do it) and when someone asks you a question that you are going to respond to with a lie -asking them to repeat themselves while you think of something to say :lol: .I think that being a deaf person puts you to some disadvantage in life (some people may not agree on that) that you should use the advantages to balance it out a bit

Well my advantage is to chat and be message board forum with deaf people
cause deaf people don't criticize my grammar. :ily:
Hearing people always bad mouthing me about my grammar and
think I should go back to 3rd grade. That pissed me off.

disadvantages v/s advantages

there are far more disadvanages then advantages. but one of most of our advantages is if hearies talk shit about us and we can see their lips , well you now the rest . another advantage is our eyes ,most of us deafies can see far more better then hearies.

RebelGirl said:
one of my advantages is I get to sleep more peacefully at night where I don't hear tick tick tick tick from clock, or raindrops on the roof, or dripping water in the sink or hear my dog barking all night. People screaming or hollaring, i can just turn my hearing aids off. :D
ha ha ! ,yeah i forgot about that one,my dad has to close all the windows in the house so he can't hear anything when he goes to bed,otherwise the sound of cars will keep him awake, i don't have that problem !! :dance2:

And Now the Disadvantages.
Cant Enjoy Music.
Cant Enjoy Movies at the theater.
Cant Attend comedy clubs.
Being Judged by society.
Cant get a good job.

Mc Gusto said:
ha ha ! ,yeah i forgot about that one,my dad has to close all the windows in the house so he can't hear anything when he goes to bed,otherwise the sound of cars will keep him awake, i don't have that problem !! :dance2:

See, that's one of the advantages! :)

deafman6975 said:
there are far more disadvanages then advantages. but one of most of our advantages is if hearies talk shit about us and we can see their lips , well you now the rest . another advantage is our eyes ,most of us deafies can see far more better then hearies.

hmm, i could careless what they have to say, at least i don't have to hear them B*tching! Unless I have a hearing friend that pick up their conversations and tell me what's going on.. if it has something to do with me or my friends, I'd go up and stand up for us.. otherwise, its not worth it!

Being able to turn hearing aids off on people! :) ...Best.Thing.In.The.World!

one of the advantage of being deaf is that you're fluent in sign language - which helps while you're scuba diving underwater. people can't talk underwater and have to use generic body signs or pencil and board, but i have no problem with that, i talk with my dive buddy without any problems whatsoever

The advantage of being :deaf: :

Sleep without interuptions
Babies constant wailings
Trains passing by my house
My hubby's motor mouth
Air condition running
Alarms/Timers/Clock tickings
The sound of crickets and bird chirpings
Blasting music
Mono-toned talkers (that's my MIL) :dizzy:

the advantage.. is when hearing guys try to hit on me I tend to act dumb and ingore them ;) but one time a hearie thought I can speak but I can understand what he was saying but he kept bugging me so I had to move to another seat on train blah.. :roll:

For some reason, whenever I come across this thread, I keep thinking it reads "Adventures in being deaf."

One advantage to being deaf, you can make us relay operators work our asses off and not feel bad about it....at least I know I wouldn't. :whip:

Here are some advantages of being deaf or hard-of-hearing, with my own comments. :) -- Nancy

• Telemarketers won’t bother calling you if they know you are deaf or hard-of-hearing.

• Noises from the outside at night don’t bother you when you sleep, but it does bother hearing people. (At my old house, there was a guy roaring his motorcycle loudly in the middle of the night next door – woke the whole neighborhood up…but I was sound asleep!)

• If you don’t want to hear something or someone, you can always just turn your hearing aid off. During the movie “Forrest Gump” at the theaters, I had to turn off my hearing aid when the Sergeant in the movie kept saying “g-d” – I cannot stand that kind of cursing using God’s name in vain. I am sorry hearing people had to hear it. I turned off my hearing aid on a few people (not at work) because they annoyed me. :)

• Snoring from the other person in the same bed with you, doesn’t bother you since you can’t hear him or her.

• Thunder doesn’t bother you in raining weather because you couldn’t hear it. Thunder never bothered me when I sleep because I couldn’t hear it, or the rain pounding on the window….lightning? That is what woke me up because of the “flashes” through the windows in the room.

• We don’t hear “gossip” in places, where hearing people can. I don’t hear gossip either, but I have noticed a lot of things using my eyes in the room. :)

• You don’t have to listen to Musak in elevators (most people hate this kind of music) just by turning off your hearing aid.

Nancy said:
• You don’t have to listen to Musak in elevators (most people hate this kind of music) just by turning off your hearing aid.

Haha, I love this. :rofl:

Whether with my HA or now my CI, the advantages are several to me...

1) Great sleep at night - I never want to hear anything while sleeping {my wife can wake me in an emergency :thumb:}
2) Don't have to start the day with noise...on work days I turn on my CI when I get to work @ 7:00am
3) In the hearing world where I belong, you can claim you didn't hear it (usually that is not true for me :naughty: )
4) Later at night before bed, I can turn off the CI (everybody in family is asleep by this point) and I can watch TV using close caption and not bother anybody.

The disadvantages for me are...
1) I depend on my batteries to hear...usually three days at a shot
2) If society collapses, well I'm in a heap of trouble and I got to start all over again :shock:
3) You don't always hear everything whether with a HA or CI...
4) I may exist nicely in the hearing world, I'm still stuck between the hearing world and the deaf world psychologically no matter what I do - No offense to anybody!!!! Fortunately for me, I'm pretty well accepted just as I am.

Yeah! I work at a school, I teach ASL. I am the only deaf teacher in the whole HS. one teacher once talked to me, said, asked me if I hear all the gossip going around and all that. I said, no, I just don't get into that, I stay out of it all.

It made me realize I am very lucky- no putting up with that silly crap!!! Haha. I see some drama going on, teachers backstab each other and stuff, but I pretend I am just deaf and don't understand what is going on. so the gossipy and mean people don't bother me a lot. it's only the nice and interested ones who make the effort.

perfect!! less trouble for me!

Ug....last night my fiance was snoring soooooo loud I couldn't sleep and finally had to go out in the living room. It was very late by the time I got to sleep. Then, early in the morning, I awakened by construction outside..... I wish I was Deaf!!!!!!

Back