Advantages of being deaf

An excuse to crank up music in car. If they complain about loudness, I said I'm deaf and they go oh, ok. :-D

Same thing with TV and movies.

Teaching hearings sign can be fun if they're making this enjoyable. heh

if i fly with southwest... i tell them i am deaf (even though i can speak) ... and can't hear them when they make announcements when it is time to board,etc... so they let me know when it is time to board and they let me on first with the h/c, parents w/ babies, first coach, etc. :lol: which is a BIG ADVANTAGE CUZ I GET THE BEST SEAT and load in empty compartments as well! :lol:

deaf24fan said:
An excuse to crank up music in car. If they complain about loudness, I said I'm deaf and they go oh, ok. :-D

that's very true!!! when we watch movies together we have the volume up TO ITS MAXIMUM--- IT IS SO AWESOME!!! IT FEELS LIKE WE ARE AT A MOVIE THEATER!!! right deaf24!!!? MWAH!!! :kiss: :D

ravensteve1961 said:
And Now the Disadvantages.
Cant Enjoy Music.
Cant Enjoy Movies at the theater.
Cant Attend comedy clubs.
Being Judged by society.
Cant get a good job.

Now, now.
Were you hearing before at one time and can now compare?
That would make these reasons all the more significant, BUT
every deaf person or hh person has a different level of deafness. I can still hear bass sounds with my aids so I can enjoy the music I know (just not lyrics, which are silly a lot of the time).
Movies are wonderful with Closed Caption, are they really that much better at the theater? The prices really are ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I am lucky to live near VA School for the Deaf and occasionally our neighborhood theater has open caption movies. There is a website that shows all open caption movies in your state I believe. I will see if I can find it. That is a rare treat.
Comedy Clubs.... never been, but I have rented comedy club dvd's and the language totally turns me off. If you enjoy this kind of thing, maybe ask for an interpreter? It's amazing what the state can provide (and entertainment IS neccessary as far as I'm concerned).
Judged by society? Make it work for you. Show how you are NOT stereotypical. I don't know where you live, but the society here in Central VA has been terrific. I attend church and we live by the motto of not judging others leat we be judge ourselves. I make my "difference" pay off in my work. There are millions of graphic artists out there and in the giftware and greeting card industry, it is very cut throat and competitive. At the trade shows where you show your portfolio there can be dozens of artist a day seeing one company. EVERYONE is good, EVERYONE is professional. Who is different? The deaf one who is perceived as being a harder worker to overcome the oods. At the last show I went to, I took a sign language interpreter. They don't forget THAT.
And lastly,
not being able to get a good job depends on the career you've chosen for yourself I believe. I don't think I could get a good job if I were to be courtroom recorder or anything that relies on hearing. I chose my profession because I could do it well without relying on my ears. The email and internet helps me compete and communicate as easily as a hearing person and I am much quicker than the jhearing person with communications because I am always on my computer working.
I don't mean to sound "Pollyanna", I just try to turn things to the positive if possible. There are weeks that go by with no work in my business and I get as depressed as the next person, but hearing or not isn't the reason.

I like your signature by the way!

Reagrds,
Lisa
www.peruchini.com

advantages....

can't hear your kids screaming, hollering, whiny, crying when a moment of your time is annoyed.

Can't hear chalkboard stratching that gets on people's nerves.

downing said:
advantages....

can't hear your kids screaming, hollering, whiny, crying when a moment of your time is annoyed.

Can't hear chalkboard stratching that gets on people's nerves.

That´s what my co-workers alway said to me: "You are lucky because you can´t hear chalkboard stratching.... oooccchhhhh... horrible noise... and also kids screaming, too. :thumb:

All what I sleep peaceful without bother thru noises... my sons asked me either I can hear thunder? I said no... They said to me: "You are lucky because we can´t sleep well thru thunder noises..

Cant hear loud breathing of my date at the movies or him chewing with open mouth.
Cant hear loud TV in next door apartment.
Cant hear snoring! ha.

Liebling:-))) said:
That´s what my co-workers alway said to me: "You are lucky because you can´t hear chalkboard stratching.... oooccchhhhh... horrible noise... and also kids screaming, too. :thumb:

All what I sleep peaceful without bother thru noises... my sons asked me either I can hear thunder? I said no... They said to me: "You are lucky because we can´t sleep well thru thunder noises..

I cant hear thunder unless its really really loud. Sure can feel it though! Used to hear it better and it didnt startle me as much as it does now. I like thunderstorms anyway I think they're pretty. Except when all the TV stations interrupt good shows to talk about it when theres no reason.

Eek I can still hear chalkboard scratching if close my hearing loss worse in lower ranges. Terrible sound!

Get this,,,, A police officer doesnt know if youre playing games or not. A lot of deaf people thrown in jail just because theyre deaf. Read the strange stories on COPS who just arrest you cause youre deaf.

deaf24fan said:

I was thinking about that a couple days ago when I was getting werid looks from people passing us by. I turned the music up really loud in the car so my son could hear, or at least feel it. I got to thinking how who I exsplain what I was doing if I got pulled over for being too loud.

Hmmmm...never really thought about that...
But, after reading a few, I got some good ones.
Being deaf in only one ear, I can put my bad ear to the people who talk too much, and just pretend to hear what they're saying.
I get to miss out on the horrendously boring conversations.
Tune out anything I don't feel like hearing.
:)

A deaf friend of mine works at the newly-opened Cabela's here in Ft. Worth.

Cabela's has little toy 'pop guns that the kids are allowed to play with while they're in the store. As the name implies they make a rather annoying popping sound.

Deafness is a definite advantage when working in/visiting Cabela's. It makes some of us hearies want to go on a killing spree that would make a Postal Worker stand in awe!

brianb

RebelGirl said:
one of my advantages is I get to sleep more peacefully at night where I don't hear tick tick tick tick from clock, or raindrops on the roof, or dripping water in the sink or hear my dog barking all night. People screaming or hollaring, i can just turn my hearing aids off. :D

There you go, girl! May I add that my friends had a good laugh at a softball game one summer years ago. I was the team's best pitcher in fast pitch softball games and the opposing players at their seats were hollering, trying to distract me from pitching well. What did I do? I just turned my hearing aid off and enjoyed the rest of the game. That's all ya hafta do is turn off da switch! :lol:

At least I don't need to hear annoying AND scary noises.

The ferry in the fjord is loud enough to irritate the neighbors including my husband! And it's one of those times when you hear something strange and spooky.. like the winds in a thunderstorm hitting the windows or passing through objects, making creepy noises.. at least, my hubby testifies to it. Aaaand.. spooky footsteps or knocking being made and you know no one is there! Know that movie.. White Noise with Bruce Willis? Imagine being able to hear scary sounds from the dead through strange static sounds. LOL

Background noise. Need I say more?

deafman6975 said:
another advantage is our eyes ,most of us deafies can see far more better then hearies.

I think that thing about if you loose one sense you make up for it with another one...I have this sense of taste that I cannot add things to my food like salt or so on because I pick up on the amount of salt in there already and so on with other things like that..Dark green veggies taste like metal to me too lol ugh!

I'm STILL thinking......meaning I haven't come across anything in my life that makes my deafness an advantage. Actually, I'm HoH and, based on what I DO hear/discriminate, I know what I'm missing but I don't let it get to me.

I say the best advantage is getting a great night sleep!!!! Whether when I had HAs or a CI now, you can take it off and not hear all the distractions...

My wife would tell me about a terrible thunderboomer during the night and I say "oh really" :D

Back