Adult stem cell is happening right now to cure hearing loss!

Have you incurred any damage or loss to your hearing from loud noise/music? This may affect your ability to hear speech perfectly.

That's why my dad is hard of hearing...too many Dire Straits concerts.

Consonant/Nucleus/Consonant (CNC) Test

I scored 4% unaided at 105db HL loudness on my March 2009 audiogram. That score example of 42% is what someone with about 80db HL would score. A CI would score around 50% in comparsion.

She's too young for this test, but I would expect that at some point she will do very well. She can hear and discriminate all the speech sounds. She can hear the difference between "ate" "ape" "cat" and "cap" "cut" and "cup". I don't see where she would have a problem.

Have you incurred any damage or loss to your hearing from loud noise/music? This may affect your ability to hear speech perfectly.

Nope, not yet. I do bring earplugs, but I am not responsible enough to use them all the time :D

She's too young for this test, but I would expect that at some point she will do very well. She can hear and discriminate all the speech sounds. She can hear the difference between "ate" "ape" "cat" and "cap" "cut" and "cup". I don't see where she would have a problem.

What age do you have to be to take this test? All those words would sound alike to me, but id do quite well on the phoneme part.

A deaf dude's life: I scored 35% speech CNC with a home test administered by dad.

This 35% phoneme, 8% CNC was in a noisy computer room and my dad reading those words out. This is above average for someone with my degree of hearing loss.

I don't know whether stem cells for hearing loss is a good thing or not, but a word of caution to all who are going to get it, be prepared. Stem cell research and healing is nothing new to anyone hoping for a medical miracle, but it is never 100%. Period. Ever.

My mother received stem cells for her Multiple Sclerosis back when all the research said this was a sure fire cure, at the minimum she would live to a normal age longevity. Guess what she passed when she wasn't even 60, look deafness is not life threatening and I know it. Make sure you know this backwards and forwards, and that if it doesn't work to where you want it to, you can walk away and be ok with that. If you can't don't do it, it is not worth your emotions (or anyone elses for that matter).

Except that he says that he can understand 80% of spoken language through lipreading, and that it is so simple anyone can.

Oh, and he wishes he was hearing.

I don't even get 80% of lip-reading correct. I maybe get 1 out of every 4-5 words. Not very good in my estimation. HA's will not work for me, I am not getting CI and would NEVER submit to anything with stem cells. Even voted against the whole stem cell bill when I lived in MO.

I am happy being in my silent little world and I am learning to deal with it.

I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving!

Let me know what are the issues that are concerning you guys about adult/repair stem cell treatments for hearing loss and I will try to answer them all:

a. Embryonic stem cells are murder.
b. Adult/repair stem cells don't work.
c. Adult/repair stem cells don't work to treat hearing loss.
d. Adult/repair stem cells don't work to treat hearing loss except in autoimmune caused hearing loss.
e. Adult/repair stem cells don't have clinical trials to back them up.
f. Adult/repair stem cells haven't been used to treat anyone to date.
g. Adult/repair stem cells haven't produced benefits to date.
h. Adult/repair stem cells benefits are merely "placebo effect."
i. Other? (please elaborate)

Other--exactly what credentials do you have that qualify you to answer these medical questions?

My mother received stem cells for her Multiple Sclerosis back when all the research said this was a sure fire cure, at the minimum she would live to a normal age longevity. Guess what she passed when she wasn't even 60, look deafness is not life threatening and I know it. Make sure you know this backwards and forwards, and that if it doesn't work to where you want it to, you can walk away and be ok with that. If you can't don't do it, it is not worth your emotions (or anyone elses for that matter).
Oh ....wow that's interesting that they tried it already with MS but didn't work. Was it bone marrow transplants?
Deafdude..................there is NO evidence as of yet that stem cells will or won't impact ANY disorder or disease!!!! We have an intriging case........yes but that was due to autoimmune disorder. Autoimmiune disorders are very good canidates for stem cell treatment..........but not all of them respond well to stem cells........therefore that means that non autoimmune caused things prolly won't respond to stem cell treatment!

Same thread about stem cell to cure hearing loss. Blah Blah! No thank! I prefer cochlear implant!

I don't know whether stem cells for hearing loss is a good thing or not, but a word of caution to all who are going to get it, be prepared. Stem cell research and healing is nothing new to anyone hoping for a medical miracle, but it is never 100%. Period. Ever.

My condolences for your mother. At least stem cells offered a chance. Ive been in contact with stem cell labs and there's no guarantee. If stem cells don't work, ill accept this and keep wearing HAs. If stem cells work, I may still need HAs but ill hear way better thru HAs.

I don't even get 80% of lip-reading correct. I maybe get 1 out of every 4-5 words. Not very good in my estimation. HA's will not work for me, I am not getting CI and would NEVER submit to anything with stem cells. Even voted against the whole stem cell bill when I lived in MO. I am happy being in my silent little world and I am learning to deal with it.

You are against stem cells and your desire to stay deaf(Deaf?) is your choice. Lots of Americans are against stem cells, including Bush himself. This is why many other countries have stem cells and those who want stem cells will have to travel abroad. I may even move to another country if me or someone in my family developes a life threatening illness and needs a steady supply of stem cells every year.

How do you communicate with others if you aren't a great lipreader? I know if stem cells don't work for me, ill accept this and continue reading lips and enjoying environmental sounds thru my HAs. I of course will keep wondering what it's like to hear music(properly), more sounds and alot of speech.

Let me know what are the issues that are concerning you guys about adult/repair stem cell treatments for hearing loss and I will try to answer them all:

a. Embryonic stem cells are murder. moot point, we don't need to use embryonic SC!
b. Adult/repair stem cells don't work. false!
c. Adult/repair stem cells don't work to treat hearing loss. 90% chance of an improvement!
d. Adult/repair stem cells don't work to treat hearing loss except in autoimmune caused hearing loss. Animal studies demonstrate stem cells work for noise or ototoxic induced hearing loss!
e. Adult/repair stem cells don't have clinical trials to back them up. Thousands of people have benefitted from stem cells so far!
f. Adult/repair stem cells haven't been used to treat anyone to date. 10,000+ have gotten stem cells!
g. Adult/repair stem cells haven't produced benefits to date. Wrong again!
h. Adult/repair stem cells benefits are merely "placebo effect." Funny because other "placebos" don't work while stem cells work!

Same thread about stem cell to cure hearing loss. Blah Blah! No thank! I prefer cochlear implant!

We already know you are against stem cells. Your choice is CI, my choice is stem cells.

a. Embryonic stem cells are murder.
b. Adult/repair stem cells don't work.
c. Adult/repair stem cells don't work to treat hearing loss.
d. Adult/repair stem cells don't work to treat hearing loss except in autoimmune caused hearing loss.
e. Adult/repair stem cells don't have clinical trials to back them up.
f. Adult/repair stem cells haven't been used to treat anyone to date.
g. Adult/repair stem cells haven't produced benefits to date.
h. Adult/repair stem cells benefits are merely "placebo effect."
i. Other? (please elaborate)

i. Tend to overgrowth and cause tumors.

I too am skeptical that stem cell therapy will be widely available to cure hearing loss any time soon. I've not seen any credible data available as to how far ahead other countries are in respect to the U.S. on this research. I've not seen that ANY U.S. or European researchers are even in human clinical trials yet. Even then it will be years before we see therapies with FDA approval. We still have a ways to go.

However, I am surprised and disappointed to see so many posters against stem cell therapy on principal. If you're happy being deaf, that's your business. Many of us are not and have a keen interest in seeing this research become a viable therapy. I find the condescension toward the people who are willing to try stem cell therapy - even now, when there's so little evidence that it will work at the moment - appalling. If someone wants to try it, that's their business and they shouldn't be raked over the coals for it. For many of us, hearing loss is a painful experience. There's no getting around that.

The only reason this research is happening at all is because of OPTIMISM and the refusal to accept "what God handed." And you know what? That's the only reason we've ever had any progress as a species at all. So if you're happy with your HA's and your CI's or just going au naturale, that's your business. But don't castigate those of us who want something more.

Back