Adoption or Biological Parents?

Oh boy, wish the lawyer luck for wording right in order to win the case.

I believe it is best interest for Native Indian family to take care of Native American babies and preserve their culture.

I believe it is best interest for Native Indian family to take care of Native American babies and preserve their culture.

How much culture has been preserved in the past with a child such as this who is "3/256th Cherokee". (Fraction is from posting I read earlier in this thread) It seems she is clearly more something other than Cherokee.

How much culture has been preserved in the past with a child such as this who is "3/256th Cherokee". (Fraction is from posting I read earlier in this thread) It seems she is clearly more something other than Cherokee.
I wonder what percentage is the cut-off? :dunno:

The 256 denominator means great-great-great-great-great-grandparent.

I wonder what percentage is the cut-off? :dunno:

The 256 denominator means great-great-great-great-great-grandparent.

I'd be interested to know, too. However, I do know that anyone has to be a certain percentage of Indian blood and up to qualify for government benefits and I am almost certain it has to be much higher than the 256 mentioned here to qualify. A little OT, sorry.....

I don't find 3/256th Cherokee in article - Reba mentioned on her own.
Custody battle for baby Veronica continues as Supreme Court sides with James Island family – The Post and Courier

In many years ago, our government dismantled the Native American culture during 19th Century and there are not many culture that are preserved, especially unwanted Native American babies go to adoptive families that are little or no knowledge about their culture.

My father taught me about Native American when I was young, even I have 1/3 Native Indian.

In adoptive family case, I would prefer to raise the child on my own to preserve our culture and heritage, even if it was unwanted, instead of go to adoptive family that have uncertain future, such as problems like child abuse, lack of love and bad influence. I have no knowledge about how great are adoptive family - they are much pretty case to case.

I'm smart enough to know if I'm ready to be father and I will never give my woman a pregnancy if I'm not ready. I'm not like teen guy who are extremely naive, have no knowledge about safe sex and easily to have unwanted child in their hand.

My friend told me that he believe abortion is better than give unwanted child to foster care or government (orphanage) because the child from either of them have psychiatric/psychology issues that affect their life - end up in bad choice and bad decision. I have mixed feeling about my friend's statement because I'm usually support adoption, such as gay parenting but situation with Native American baby is exception.

I didnt want to give away too much. The child went to see his biological parents a few times before being "stripped away" and in one of the visits, the biological father abused the child.

I think the abuse part is important in this situation. I think any parent who was fighting for the right reasons would see how screwed up the child would become. Like the bible story (I'm paraphrasing, I don't know the bible well) the real parent would be the one who gave the child away instead of the court sawing the child in half.

A good bio-parent in this would try to have a relationship with the kid but not take them away.

I think the abuse part is important in this situation. I think any parent who was fighting for the right reasons would see how screwed up the child would become. Like the bible story (I'm paraphrasing, I don't know the bible well) the real parent would be the one who gave the child away instead of the court sawing the child in half.

A good bio-parent in this would try to have a relationship with the kid but not take them away.

People like to pull the race card when there's something in it for them. The fact remains that this little girl's adoptive parents have been in her life longer and are more involved with her than Brown ever was. A parent isn't someone that got your mother pregant and left, but the person that stayed and helped raise you. You don't get to just change your mind and expect to father a child you abandoned because of your ethnicity.

Laura

I saw this on my local news the other night, because the father is stationed here it is of interest.

The child lives with the father's family, and doesn't know who the adoptive parents are. She is told they are other people who also love her.

Update:

Veronica in Capobiancos’ care ‘a sweet thing to finally see,’ attorney says
Andrew Knapp

Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 11:59 a.m., Updated: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Dusten Brown held back tears Monday night as he packed bags for 4-year-old Veronica.

Oklahoma’s top court had cleared the way earlier in the day for the curly-haired girl to head back to the South Carolina, where she spent the first 27 months of her life.

Veronica left the Tahlequah home where she had been staying recently. She said goodbye to Brown and her biological grandparents.

“He told her she was going to stay with Matt and Melanie (Capobianco) and they would be nice to her,” said Shannon Jones of Charleston, the birth father’s attorney. “He told her he loved her.”

After she walked away, Brown released the emotion he held in. He cried.

It was around 8 p.m. eastern time as she was driven a short distance to the Cherokee Nation’s police headquarters. She wore blue jeans, pink Velcro shoes and a pink vest, and she clutched a pink teddy bear.

After she saw the James Island couple who adopted her, Melanie Capobianco offered to put her into a car seat. She agreed.

“It was really a sweet thing to finally see after all this time,” said the couple’s attorney, James Fletcher Thompson of Spartanburg. “The transition seemed to go without incident. That in itself is very good news for all involved.”

The Capobiancos got custody of Veronica on Monday as the two-year legal war they have waged to get her back neared an end.

The reunion came after mediation talks dissolved earlier in the day.

A judge said the opponents had tried hard to reach an agreement. Several of the proposed pacts called for Brown to have time with Veronica during summers and sporadically throughout every year.

How Monday’s handover affects any involvement he might have in the girl’s life was not clear.

Hours after the mediation process ended, the Oklahoma Supreme Court lifted an order blocking a change of custody.

Cherokee Nation officials had vowed not to give up their fight easily.

When Veronica might return to South Carolina also wasn’t known. Supporters for the Capobiancos said the couple probably would take their time heading home….
Veronica in Capobiancos’ care ‘a sweet thing to finally see,’ attorney says – The Post and Courier

I felt bad for veronica who HAD real family who wanted her which was too late and yet live with adoptive parents.

I felt bad for veronica who HAD real family who wanted her which was too late and yet live with adoptive parents.

It is sad, it also sounded like she doesn't even remember who they are, poor kid. In all this time they've been making this man fight for his daughter I wonder how many babies have been put up for adoption, ones neither parent wanted. They could have adopted any of them, but no, they make the man fight. Shameful.

Reunited.

Attachments

• veronica.jpg
    veronica.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5
Timeline

April 2009: Engagement between Veronica’s birth parents in Oklahoma ends. Dusten Brown denies financial support.

July 2009: Struggling to provide for two children, mother finds Matt and Melanie Capobianco through adoption agency.

September 2009: Veronica is born, taken to South Carolina as Capobiancos file for adoption.

January 2010: Brown files for custody.

July 2011: Family Court in Charleston says Indian Child Welfare Act applies.

September 2011: Court hears case.

December 2011: Court rules ICWA demands that Veronica live with Brown.

July 2012: S.C. Supreme Court rules 3-2 to affirm decision.

April 16: U.S. Supreme Court hears case.

June 25: Justices rule 5-4 that ICWA didn’t apply, send case back to S.C. court.

July 9: Brown’s parents, Tommy and Alice Brown, file to adopt Veronica under the ICWA.

July 17: Cherokee Nation courts name Brown’s wife and parents as temporary guardians.

July 17: S.C. Supreme Court orders Charleston judge to finalize adoption.

July 24: S.C. Supreme Court denies rehearing, asks sides to respect decision.

July 31: Family Court Judge Daniel Martin completes adoption, five-day transition plan.

Aug. 2: U.S. Supreme Court denies Brown’s request to stay adoption judgment under due-process concerns because court didn’t have best-interest hearing.

Aug. 4: Brown and Veronica don’t appear for scheduled visit with Capobiancos in Charleston.

Aug. 5: Martin orders immediate transfer, asks prosecutors to consider law enforcement measures.

Aug. 9: Charleston County Sheriff’s Office gets warrant for Brown’s arrest on felony charge of custodial interference.

Aug. 12: After leaving Iowa National Guard base, Brown turns himself in to Sequoyah County, Okla., authorities, promptly posts bail.

Aug. 13: Capobiancos fly to Oklahoma. Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin declines to sign extradition warrant.

Aug. 16: Mediation agreement reached in Cherokee County, but attorneys ordered not to discuss it.

Aug. 30: Nowata County court orders Brown to relinquish custody, Oklahoma Supreme Court temporarily blocks ruling as it considers its own decision.

Sept. 5: Brown again arrested after Fallin signs extradition warrant, but gets bail as attorneys challenge warrant’s legality.

Sept. 15: Veronica turns 4.

Sept. 16: Mediation hearings begin in Tulsa, last all week without agreement.

Monday: Mediation ends and Oklahoma high court lifts stay that blocked Veronica’s return to South Carolina. Veronica is released to the Capobiancos.

Back