Activation appt cancelled. . .

I know exactly what you mean. For whatever reason, I'm unable to understand people with Eastern Indian accents. That can be especially problematic when I'm calling Dell for technical support. :ugh:

I think a lot of hearing people do as well. Even here in Australia, many of the call centres for banks, telephone etc are based in India and their accents is somewhat of a national joke.

Before I had my daughter, I used to work at a bank, accounting for credit card settlements and many of my colleagues were based in India. I had to wait for them to wake up as they were behind us in time but it was a great working relationship as we communicated by e-mail mostly. It's truly a global society now!

One week post activation update!

Just thought I'd do a quick update. I am loving my CI. I hope I didn't jinx myself by saying this so soon! LOL but yeah I just love it. I smiled tonite when I was talking to my FIL without the help of my husband or my MIL as he is hard for me to understand. Heh. I caught most of what he was saying and I didn't have to do my fake smile & pretend to understand everything nod. LOL!! I'm sure many of you have done this, eh?

But yeah, wow - speech understanding is defintely here - I had it since like day 1 altho if it weren't for all the weird sound on the first day, I'm sure I'd have understood from day one like I do today. lol. Most of the weird noises are gone, altho I still hear it but far less than I did the first day.

I have noticed one thing that I found interesting. When I take off my HA or my CI and try to wear it alone for just a minute, I notice that it'll seem like I can't hear as well with either one alone, but once I have both HA and CI on again, I suddenly hear 100x better. How neat!

In one week, I go back for my MAP'ping session at the hospital. Yay!

Last edited:
deafmama,

Congratulations! It sounds (no pun intended) as if you are really coming along well with your CI! :)

As for your description of sounds being softer when only wearing your CI or HA, I've had the same experience. I don't hear sounds or voices as well with one CI as I do with both. I've also noticed that sounds/voices are fuller and richer with two CIs as opposed to one.

I couldn't help but smile at your comment about no longer having to nod as if you were understading what was said by your FIL. I felt the same way when I was able to hear *and* understand a taxi driver with an Indian accent for the first time in 11 years. :)

Here's wishing you continued success! Keep the updates coming -- they are a joy to read! :)

Deaf Mama Congratulations! Its sounds like all the waiting was so worth it! Im very happy for you.I hope you will blog too.I've taken so much strength from reading some.Hear Again-you are such a strong soul and have really been through the mill.I guess sometimes we think we are all alone in some tough times we go through and to read your story touched me deeply.i dont feel so alone in the truly tragic times in my life after what you shared.I guess thats what alldeaf is all about.Mama keep up the good work!

Hear Again, I knew you'd understand as I you saying something about that one experience with the Taxi driver. It's amazing, isn't it?

Tami Sam: Yep, the waiting is well worth it!!! It truly is.The CI is such a blessing to have. I now don't want to be without my CI 'cept for like at night or when I just woke up, I really don't mind being without it for a short bit when there's really nothing to listen 'cept me typing with everyone else sleeping. heh. I have insomnia and it sucks!

What's keeping me up tonight? I had flashbacks regarding one of my 1st most scariest moments of my life when I woke up in the ambulance being rushed to the hospital after Paramedics/EMS came and saved my life. :/ It happened May 17th/18th 2 yrs ago. I didn't think about that 'cause I was focused on my CI surgery then recovering from it so I feel a bit guilty that I wasn't being thankful for being alive an extra 2 yrs and hoping for many many more! I don't mind if any of you ask what happened. If interested to hear, I will gladly explain.

I see that you are still awake Deafmama! Just wanted to say it's lovely to read your proclamation of love so soon after switch on and it's great to hear that things are settling down and the weird noises are slowly disappearing. You'll find that it will continue to get better with every mapping. :)

R2D2: How long did it take for you til you are finding that you love having your CI?

I just re-read your siggy and realized that you & I were activated just 8 days shy of a year apart. Cool! :)

deafmama,

I'm not R2D2, but I loved my CI from the moment it was activated! :) Two of the things that struck me most was how many environmental sounds I could hear and how LOUD the world really is. LOL!

I went into my activation day with a sense of adventure not expecting to understand speech or environmental sounds. To my delight, I discovered that I could hear environmental sounds quite well. The first sound I heard was my audi sliding my box of CI accessories across the table. Then I heard Tigger's (my guide dog) collar jingling. It was exciting! :)

I remember a conversation my former CI audi and I had at 3 months post activation. She told me how refreshing it was to hear me talk about all of the environmental sounds I could hear. She went onto say that some of her patients only focus on the things they can't hear instead of enjoying the things they can hear.
I've had my first CI for a little over 2 years and I'm *still* delighted by every new sound I hear! :)

Today is 29th June (here in Australia) and it's been exactly a year since switch on - A YEAR!

When I was first switched on I could understand speech within a few hours, but because I had suffered from recruitment before my CI, it took a few months to build up tolerance to loud sound again. I could not hear cars until 2 weeks after my switch on, for example. I also had a lot of static in the background to begin with. For the first 3 months some days were hard work. But then with every map, the static decreased and just quietly disappeared and I slowly got used to how loud the world was. I also noticed a huge improvement in my energy levels too - I could suddenly get a lot more done. My tinnitus also improved significantly.
I started using the phone more regularly at around 8 months, I think? It was amazing as I had always struggled with it to the point that I decided not to bother.

Now at 12 months I'm very happy with what I hear. It's been a remarkable journey.

R2D2: I was gonna wait til tomorrow to congratulate you on your 1 yr anniversary but since it's the 29th now for you, I'll go ahead now. . .

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I hope you've had an awesome year 'hearing' all that you can hear & hope you have many more wonderful years hearing! :]

I heard environmential sounds & could understand people talking w/in hours of being activated. I was able to pick up a few words people were saying while still at the activation appt but to really understand sentences & stuff started at dinner a few hours later despite way everyone sounded funny as hell while they talked. Now everyone sounds normal again and has been since like 2 days. It's freaking awesome. I can hear my girls talk to each other and if I pay attention, I'm picking up more and more of what they're saying even when they're not talking directly to me but to each other as they play. It's so neat! I hear just about everything. The other day I heard my husband playing music via his computer, I just smiled, so happy that I could hear it much better & I truly think I will be able to enjoy music much better. I have always been able to with just my hearing aids, but I think it is even better now than it was, if that makes any sense? :]

Wheee! I need to write a thank you note to my surgeon & to my audi, despite her not being able to activate me due to having her baby but she's been there for me via emails the past few months and has been wonderful since day one. :]

Speaking of, has anyone written one to their surgeon/Audis?

What happened?

s I have insomnia and it sucks! Yep me too was born a night owl!

[I had flashbacks regarding one of my 1st most scariest moments of my life when I woke up in the ambulance being rushed to the hospital after Paramedics/EMS came and saved my life. :/ It happened May 17th/18th 2 yrs ago. I didn't think about that 'cause I was focused on my CI surgery then recovering from it so I feel a bit guilty that I wasn't being thankful for being alive an extra 2 yrs and hoping for many many more! I don't mind if any of you ask what happened. If interested to hear, I will gladly explain.[/QUOTE]
Do tell woman ! Im on the edge of my seat!!!!

Wheee! I need to write a thank you note to my surgeon & to my audi, despite her not being able to activate me due to having her baby but she's been there for me via emails the past few months and has been wonderful since day one. :]

Speaking of, has anyone written one to their surgeon/Audis?

deafmama,

After my CI was activated I gave my surgeon and former CI audi "thank you" cards and wrote a short note in print (with sighted help) and Braille.

My CI audi was tickled to receive a "thank you" note in Braille and told me how neat it was to feel the Braille with her fingers. :)

For the past two years I've sent my surgeon and audi a Christmas card with a note in Braille and print thanking them for the wonderful gift of hearing they've given me.

I still communicate with them via e-mail to give them regular updates on how I'm doing.

Tami Sam: I was also born a night owl too! My mom said that I also didn't sleep much due to my meds. I slept about 6 hrs every night. She hated it. lol. I love my sleep but stupid insomnia sucks!!!

I warn you- this is long.

I have Asthma. I've had it since birth. Been hospitalized many times with Asthma, Pneumonia, and Bronchitis too many times to even keep track. I missed alot of school as a young child due to this. I always knew that people had died of Asthma when not being controlled so we try my best to have it controlled and usually it's fine, it's just when I get sick that it gets so bad that requires the constant ER visits and hospitalizations stays.

Anyways - this one night, my Asthma attack became super bad & I thought "oh great, another Asthma attack, okay. . ." and took a few breathing treatments but noticed that none of it was helping at all. So 'cause I was at my Grandma's and had just gotten out of the shower, I told my Dad to call 911 but he didn't think it was that severe as he's seen me thru many Asthma attack, he said "I'll just drive your car & take you" but I knew he drank a little and while I knew he wasn't drunk, I had a nagging feeling that told me I needed Paramedics here asap. Luckily, my Dad's ex girlfriend's sister happened to be there & she, too, has Asthma. She could tell by the way I told her like this "I. . . don't. . . feel. . . right. . . please. . . call. . . 9. . . 1. . . 1. . .!" she knew I was serious and got my Dad to call. They come like 4 minutes later & I remember seeing two Paramedics dudes. One of 'em told me "Okay sweetie, it's time to let go of your breathing treatment." & I told him "No, I can't, if I do, I will die! Seriously, I feel like I'm about to die soon!" and he said "I won't let that happen, we're here to take care of you." So I let him pick me up to carry me. I remember passing thru the living room and pointed to my hearing aid which was on the entertainment center, but either they didn't see me or didn't understand what I wanted. then we were about to go out the front door, but I don't remember passing the front door. As, next thing I knew, I was waking up in the ambulance feeling really weird & was in pain. I noticed the ambul bag thingy being on my face & that I couldn't talk. I was well aware of what was going on and so minutes later we arrived at the ER & they moved me & noticed that I was getting better & aware of everything. So they let me go off the oxygen so I could talk with them and let them take care of me. The two paramedics came to see me before they left and I asked them what happened and that's when they told me that they saved my life. :/

See, what happened was- my body was so tired of fighting so hard to breathe during the asthma attack & since my breathing treatments wasn't helping. I developed tachycardia, which is fast heartbeats & so after a few minutes of that, my body couldn't take it anymore, so in a way, I "died" & they brought me back. :/

I was scared for many months that it'd happen again. And it seriously did. October 3rd, I was visiting my old interpreter who I had on and off from 1st grade-HS. I also happened to date her son during her son & my senior year. Heh. We remained friends though. Anyways, I was at her house visiting. I had been there for about 1.5 hrs with the girls and was getting ready to leave despite how awful my asthma was. As I was getting ready to leave, I decided to tell her what happened to me in May 'cause she hadn't known about that. But the strange thing is, the same shit from May happened to me shortly after I told her the story. Really weird, huh? :/

But this time it was worse. When I told her to call 911, she did right away and they arrived w/in 4 mins. But, these 2 Paramedics [different ones than the last time] thought I was being a drama queen, or trying to seek attention so they stood at the door talking with each other while my interpreter friend was yelling at them to help me. Finally 'cause I was developing Tachycardia, I knew I was gonna be out any minutes, I was sitting on her couch, trying so hard to breathe & be as calm as possibile as to not make it worse. I fell over & was on the floor turning gray super fast. :/ The asshole Paramedics rushed to me and helped bring me back. Later, they cut my shirt and saw that I was wearing a patch, but they didn't know what it was, they asked her if it was a birth control patch, or smoking patch, or this or that, and she didn't know. So the assholes decided that I was committing suicide! My friend told them "No, I seriously doubt she is, she has two little girls as you can see and seems very happy!" But they didn't listen to her & decided to give me a shot of Narcan to reverse what they thought was drug overdose. :/ So, when I got to the hospital, they lied to the hospital and told them nothing about my Asthma attack, just simply said that I was a drug overdoser. :/ So, ugh, I was put on suicide watch. My husband arrived & wasn't allowed to see me. They explained that they asked me if I wanted to see him and I didn't respond. Uh hello? The fuckers took out my hearing aid at my friends' house & would not listen to her when she explained that I needed it in order to hear them or the staff at the hospital. Plus, I was all fucked up from the drugs that they gave me, I felt like I was floating in and out. It was such a horribile experience.
My husband was like "Um, do you guys realize, she's DEAF?! The EMS probably took her hearing aid out & she probably doesn't even have it in right now." so they let him in and saw that I immeditely responded to him very well. So he signed to me becuase my hearing aid was still at my friends house. And he told me that they thought I was trying to kill myself. So I had to tell 3 different Dr's that I wasn't. And my hsuband explained that I had an asthma attack and like May, probably had tachycardia. So then that's when they started treating me for the actual reason I was there!!!

My friend arrived the next day and stayed for like 4+ hrs as she interpretted for me thru my EKG test. She told me all of what happened the night before at her house & said that I gave her nightmares & I'm not allowed back ever again. lol. She's very sarcastic. So I knew she was just teasing me. :P

But yeah, that's the hell I went thru in May & Oct. Well, May wasn't so bad. It's Oct 3rd experience that terrified me so bad. I was then finally referred to an allergist/asthma Dr. He was shocked when he found out that I was not on any type of shots or anything to keep my Asthma in control. So we started me on monthly Xolair shots and it has been a lifesavor. I now don't even ever touch my inhaler or breathing machine, ever. In fact, I hadn't had an Asthma attack since Oct 3rd! it's amazing. So, I'm hoping I will never have to experience what I went thru ever again 'cause I wanna be here as long as possible to raise my girls & to annoy my husband. :P Hehe. :]

Sorry this is long, but best way I could tell the story. :/

Hope I didn't scare yall, esp those with Asthma! If any of you Asthmatics had experienced the same, do tell!

deafmama,

I know exactly what you mean about music sounding better with a CI compared to HAs.

In my case, music always sounded distorted with HAs (even when using direct audio input). The difference in clarity between what I hear with my CI vs. HAs is amazing!

For the first time in many years, I'm able to hear and identify instruments in classical and jazz music. Prior to receiving my CIs, everything sounded "muddy" and distorted.

I'm also able to hear all of the various layers of music (harmony, melody, lead vocals, background vocals, instruments whether they are being played alone or in unison) with my CI instead of only being limited to drum beats and loud male vocals.

I've always said that if I could appreciate music with my CI, it would be icing on the cake.

Being able to hear music with my CIs has been nothing short of amazing. :)

Deafmama, WOW, glad you made it.

I wonder if Medic Alert bracelets would help in such situations? Another thing, What if someone with a CI was not wearing the headpiece and was unconscious and had no one to speak for them and the Doctors wanted to to an MRI?

Another thing, What if someone with a CI was not wearing the headpiece and was unconscious and had no one to speak for them and the Doctors wanted to to an MRI?

In that case, a person would wear a Medic Alert bracelet which reads "deaf," "cochlear implant" and "no MRI."

I have a Medic Alert bracelet which reads:

Bilateral cochlear implants
Deaf and Blind
No MRI

....so that would solve the problem of a doctor conducting an MRI.

If I remember correctly, with some CIs (like the Freedom), the internal magnet can be removed for an MRI. This involves making a small incision near the magnet site, removing the magnet, reinserting the magnet and restitching the incision.

Back