Activation appt cancelled. . .

deafmama78

Reaction score
Welp all that waiting for today was for nothing now. My Audiologist's baby decided to be impatient and be born NOW, not wait til like tonite! Heh.

While I am very happy for Heidi to finally have her baby girl I am kinda disapointed! Was looking forward to see if it'd help the damn Tinnitus!

Ugh! Just my luck, eh!?

Awww I"m sorry that your activation was canceled, but a big *congrats!* to your audie!!! Hopefully it will be rescheduled soon.

Oh my. . . they just called & said another Audi will do my activation on June 21st at 2pm. 15 more freaking days. That means by then I'd had waited 5 wks for activation. Ugh.

However, they're trying to see if they can somehow squeeze me in, or if anyone cancels they will call us first.

I can't help but cry sooooooo much right now, the Tinnitus is bad & I feel like I am going insane!!! [sigh]

Sorry to hear it! Hopefully they'll be able to get you scheduled in before the 21st.

Either way, all the waiting will soon be nothing but a memory!

Yeah but I had really counted on being activated before my daughter's kindergarten graduation. Tmr in fact was supposed to be my first outing post-activation. My MIL wanted me to go with her to my SIL's house for the "princess party" thing she's having. 'sigh' then Sunday is a hearing friend's bd party which I wanted to attend as they're having someone that also does scrapbooks so I can learn how to do 'em, then there's that picnic at the campground my Kindergartener has on Monday the 11th, which I am a chaperone for, then her graduation on the 13th -I wanted to go to all of these activities but now that I won't be able to hear for 'em, wtf is the point? The only thing I'll wanna go to is my daughter's Kindergarten graduation despite not being able to hear much. :[

I am hoping that, knowing already that my Audi doesn't plan on being away from work long, that she'll somehow want to just come in as soon as she's up to it to activate me & that way I'll hopefully see her baby, I looooooooove babies. :]

Oh Mama That stinks! I'm so sorry! They should have anticipated Audi's upcoming childbirth and had someone else on hand. Maybe if you call first thing every morning for a cancellation they'll get the hint and squeeze you in or maybe ask your Dr. if there is anywhere else to go as you are desperate? I'll be praying for a cancellation for you. Hang in there its tough I know, but it'll be worth it.

Tami Sam: She knew she was about to have her baby, that's why she scheduled me for today as she wasn't due for at least a week or two? I think there is one other Audiologist at that office, and s/he is not in today. :/ Blah.

My husband has already stressed to the office that we were wiling to go to the other HF hospitals but I guess their office is the only one out of their HF hospitals that does CI activations. Blah!

Maybe I should email my Audi and tell her she'd better name her daughter after me to make up for me having suffer longer with the Tinnitus crap! Ha! ;)

Sorry to hear that. Oh well, when the baby is ready the rest of the world is on hold. ;)

Ohhh... Soon You will get new reschedule. ;):):)

Phillips: I am already re-scheduled for June 21st, 2 pm. A different Audiologist will do my activation. :[

Awww you poor love. I know its only a few days but those few days can seem like months. How long til your next appointment? Don't they have any other audies?

deafmama,

I'm sorry to hear this and can imagine how disappointed you must be! (I would have cried too!) :(

I'll be crossing my fingers that your CI center can schedule your activation before the 21st! :)

Hang in there! <hugs>

Maybe I should email my Audi and tell her she'd better name her daughter after me to make up for me having suffer longer with the Tinnitus crap! Ha! ;)

LOL! I know exactly how you feel because I have bilateral tinnitus to this day. After my first CI surgery, my tinnitus was so LOUD I couldn't stand it. All my surgeon could do was prescribe Prednisone. Due to the side effects (depression) and because I only had 3 weeks until my activation, I decided to "wait it out."

I don't know about your tinnitus, but mine alternated between several different sounds including a freight train, a car engine turning over repeatedly, ocean/whooshing sounds, high/medium/low steady tones, high pitched beep tones, people talking and 70s/80s music (I'm not kidding :)). Just when I became used to one sound, it would change to another.

I'm happy to report that my tinnitus has improved considerably and is something I can ignore 95% of the time. I no longer hear the car engine, 70s/80s music (actually I didn't mind this when I was awake and not trying to sleep :)) or people talking, but I do still hear ocean/whooshing sounds, high/medium/low steady tones and high pitched beep tones.

R2D2: Only a few days?! Try 15 days left til my rescheduled appt. 15 days is gonna feel like a whole month or two! Heh. :P

Hear Again: My Tinnitus kinda alternative also - but on the implanted side it usually sounds like a loud ass whirring sound. . . that's best I can describe it!
My non implanted side sounds like a high pitched ring that either continues at that high ring that seems to never stop or it'll go low then high over and over and over. Other time it'll sound like I'm listening to a staticy radio or like normal people talking/yelling like they're right in the room with me. I hate each and every different various 'sounds' I get!!!

Other time it'll sound like I'm listening to a staticy radio or like normal people talking/yelling like they're right in the room with me. I hate each and every different various 'sounds' I get!!!

I don't blame you! Those sounds would bother me too. :(

I was struck by your comment about hearing people talking as if they were in the same room with you. I've never shared this information on the board, but following my second CI surgery, I had auditory hallucinations.

Doctors explained to me that they were caused by sensory deprivation (my total blindness combined with the loss of residual hearing in my nonimplanted ear). I was also told that when the body loses a sense such as sight or hearing, the brain compensates by creating false visual images or auditory sensations which is what happened in my case.

Initially it was difficult to separate the tinnitus from the hallucinations until I saw a doctor and was given medication for the hallucinations.

I remember sending an e-mail to my audi telling her about the voices I was hearing. She asked me if I heard them when my processors were on or off and I told her both. I finally sought the treatment of two doctors who explained what was happening and why. I was given medication and the hallucinations disappeared after 4 weeks.

Many of the voices I heard sounded as if people were in the same room with me. Some voices were those of my family and friends while others were those of strangers. Let me tell you...it was the most frightening experience I've ever had and I hope to never experience anything like that again!

I hope your tinnitus improves following your activation! Although it took awhile, mine finally did and I'm so thankful I no longer hear the annoying sounds I described above!

Awww I am sorry you had to wait till the 21st! Time will go by FAST! I understand how much you want to hear this or that during those awesome events!

deafmama,

Hang in there!!! Is someone going to video your daughter's kindergarten graduation? If so, you would be able to hear it later when you watch the tape.

Hear Again: Often time it sounds like my Italian Grandma talking fast for hours and hours on ends. I remember I'd cover my head and scream outloud to the walls "STOP!!!!!!!!!" but of course it doesn't! It drives me insane! Unfortutely, I had it before the CI surgery though and haven't really heard much of her voice lately post CI surgery but as I mentioned before, I do hear voices that sounds like people are talking on the radio or family member are talking as if theyr'e in the same room with me. It'd be helpful if I could at least understand the voices so I could just relax and "listen" to it. lol. But I don't understand a single word! That frustrates me even more. What's more scarier is that sometimes the 'voices' especially those of my Italian Grandma would sound like she's yelling for hours- and she doesn't even yell often. She yells very rarely and that's basically when she gets upset at my Dad or Uncle when he was alive and others that walk all over her. She's has a very big heart and tends to help everyone and they usually cause damage at the end. :/ I hate it when I get the 'Grandma yelling voice' because my Grandma has never yelled at me so it's just scary hearing her yell at me! :/

I never told the Dr. or Audiologists this though, it's just way too embarrassing and freaky. I did tell them I do suffer from Tinnitus when I had CI evaluation and when I met the surgeon. My husband has asked for some type of meds to help me sleep because at nights where the Tinnitus is horribile, it keeps me up for hours on end & I get so tired & cranky, to the point where I cry easily. But he doesn't ever give his patients anything post surgery. :/ My Audi has suggested Melation, which is a herbal supplement which helps regulate sleep.

Thank you! I hope that my 'T' improves too!!!

I was going to ask you but had been afraid of offending you but you already answered -- which was about your blindess, I was going to ask if you had any vision or are fully blind. Were you botn totally deaf-blind? Or? I hope you're not offended. I am merely just curious. You can PM me if you're more comfortable answering there, otherwise if you're not, I totally understand!

You seem like a great person & I hope to get to know you & become cyber-friends! :]

PS- Sorry for the long ass reply. *smile*

set2: My 4 yrs old daughter & I are both attending my 6 yrs old daughter's K graduation. My husband has training for his job that week so he will most likely miss it. He said it's better to miss a K graduation over a HS graduation as he wouldn't miss that for the world. And I will video-tape it so he & whoever in our family that wants to watch it can watch it afterwards. My sister-in-law & my 7.5 mos old niece will most likely come too. :]

I am curious to see if I can understand the tape post CI activation. I'm sure I'll have DH tell me what all is being said then watch it several times to help me practice listening, altho it'll be rough with no captions to follow but I'll get it eventually! :]

I'm not offended by the question and am happy to answer. :)

I wasn't born totally deafblind. I was born blind and diagnosed with mild hearing loss at age 3 (although my HA and CI audis think it may be congenital due to the fact that I was premature and preemies weren't given hearing screenings back in the late 60's/early 70's).

By age 15, my hearing loss progressed to moderately-severe at which point I received my first pair of BTE HAs.

By age 24, my hearing loss reached the severe-profound range and this was when I had to employ alternative communication techniques because of my difficulty hearing in most environments. I attended my local deafblind center for training and was encouraged to learn tactile sign (I initially refused since I still had enough residual hearing to use an FM system).

I received my first CI at age 34 and my second two years later. As the old saying goes, "The rest is history." :)

Feel free to send me a PM anytime! I'd love to chat! :)

P.S. I probably wouldn't have elected to tell my audi about the voices I was hearing either :) except for the fact that it was a really strange experience for me. I wanted all of the voices to go away and wasn't sure whether it was the tinnitus I was hearing or what. Hallucinations may be fun for some people to experience, but I'll pass thank you very much. :)

Back