Acoustic Characteristics of the Speech of Young Cochlear Implant Users

:ty: My mom is a English professor and loves language. She speaks several with English and now is learning Russian by herself only because she is interested! My parents took ASL classes when I was a baby (I failed the newborn test) and for years after. I didn't speak until late even with ST so probably without ASL as a baby I would have no language at all. My mom thinks sign is a natural language - she had my sister teach her hearing kids (my neices) sign because they can learn sign before speech. My mom says she probably would learn ASL without me because it is a great language.

To me the worse time in school are when I focus too much on oral/speech. The first semester of college was horrible without interpreters (my bad decision). For many many years ST was a waste because they only teach sounds and not meaning, how to use the word etc so much. Knowing to put your tongue "here" and lips "this" etc doesn't help with math, science, or even English class. My parents changed my ST for more understanding and word use and less time per week. Then ST was much better, but I wasted so many hours on nothing to me.

I can't imagine a family not knowing ASL or a deaf/HoH kid. Probably I would flunk school and not communicate with my family. Just typing this........I can't imagine - your family not communicating? :cry: As a kid I would die because of sadness. I am lucky I guess with my parents.

JME.

Yes, you are very lucky with the parents you were given. As a result of your mother's ability to understand that language impacts all of the developmental areas, and that language is not restricted to spoken languge only, you were given the advantage of the early language exposure that allowed you to develop not just language, but the cognitive skills that are dependent upon language acquisition. Kudos to your parents, and to you, as well, for using so well the advantages they gave you!:h5:

So, while Cloggy's daughter may have limited usage of 2 or more languges, she is still delayed by 2 years. That impacts her ability to use any of the languages to native fluency.

I believe Cloggy has said that she is catching up and that she's 1.4 year behind now. I wonder which language she was tested in. Dutch or Norweigian?

Is SLP another word for ST? I used "SLP "speech language pathology" definition" in Google and it seems the same but I am not sure.

Kaitin - ST = speech therapy or therapist

SLP = speech language pathology or pathologist, is used in my area.

there are some deaf children who gravitate towards and grasp oral language more than others.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean that using ASL wouldn't be helpful in their day to day lives.

As a parent of both a hearing and a deaf child there is a vast difference between the two and how they acquire spoken language so to use your hearing children as an example of how deaf children should be taught language is not a valid example. In fact, it is inconsistent with what you later state for although you taught your hearing children two languages simultaneously you go on to state that deaf children should be taught ASL "from day 1 and add whatever later." I guess you do not think deaf children are as capable as hearing children. How then do you explain Cloggy's daughter who is at the very least tri-lingual?

While many deaf children can benefit from being taught sign and oral language simultaneously, there are some deaf children who gravitate towards and grasp oral language more than others. That many children who are implanted early are able to acquire spoken language at rates comparable to their hearing peers disproves your statement that it delays the "windows of learning opportunities". In fact, studies have consistently shown the correlation between the closer implantation is to the onset of deafness and acquistion of oral language. That you choose to refer to cochlear implants and HAs as "some mechanical device" evidences the fact that you do not understand how they can assist the child's development of a spoken language.

Each child is different and no one approach works the same for all. To say that a particular method "makes no sense" when there are many children who have benefited from the method is truly what "makes no sense". What "makes sense" is for parents to be open to all methods and to utilize those, or in some instances, that method, which are/is best for their particular child.

While I agree that earlier implantation facilitates spoken language aquisition
delaying the stimulation of those areas of the brain while a parent waits until
it is appropriate to implant makes no sense. Hearing children gather input
from around them through hearing what is going on around them. Deaf children gather input from seeing what is going on around them (ie signing).
Unless babies are being implanted at birth, which I find improbable, then for
ever how many days they have to wait to get implanted, those number of days are days they are missing input that stimulates the language center
of the brain. They are critical. Frankely I consider Deaf children probably more
adaptable being deprived of that stimuli and still managing to aquire language.
I think if a child has to experience a delay in the hearing sensory input, then
stimulating the language areas of the brain with ASL or whatever the native
sign language is, is critical to future language development.

"some mechanical device" evidences the fact that you do not understand how they can assist the child's development of a spoken language."

I do know that the brain is very adaptable and it takes this foreign type
of input and begins to make sense of it and the BRAIN itself adapts
to this input. It would be very arogant to think humans could exactly
duplicate the sensory input that would normally be there.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that using ASL wouldn't be helpful in their day to day lives.

I happen to be one of those but I find ASL useful as well. I know that ASL is cherished because it's much much easier for the d/Deaf to communicate with others. School would have been much harder without ASL for me.

Differences in Brain Structure in Deaf Persons on MR Imaging Studied with Voxel-Based Morphometry
D.K. Shibataa

a From the Department of Radiology, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, Wash

Address correspondence to D.K. Shibata, Department of Radiology, University of Washington Medical Center, Box 357115, 1959 NE Pacific, Seattle, WA 98195; e-mail: shibatad@u.washington.edu

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: The loss of a major sensory input early in life is known to cause alterations in neuronal connectivity and physiology at the cellular level, but effects on gross anatomy are less well understood. The purpose of this study was to compare volumetric structural brain MR imaging scans of deaf versus hearing subjects by using voxel-based morphometry (VBM). The hypothesis was that the deaf would have relative hypoplasia in the temporal lobe centers involved in hearing and speech.

METHODS: T1-weighted volumetric images from 53 prelingually deaf persons and 51 control subjects were analyzed with VBM. Initial segmentations were spatially normalized, and then these deformation parameters were applied to the original images, which were again segmented. Statistic parametric mapping was then applied on a voxel-by-voxel basis to determine group differences and asymmetries.

RESULTS: The white matter analysis revealed a statistically significant focal deficit in the deaf persons in the left posterior superior temporal gyrus (STG), corresponding to white matter inferior to auditory cortex. Gray matter asymmetries in the deaf persons were overall similar to that in hearing persons but a focal loss of asymmetry was noted in the posterior STG white matter in the deaf persons.

CONCLUSION: These results support the hypothesis that there are gross alterations in brain anatomy as a consequence of early deafness. The white matter deficit in the posterior left superior temporal gyrus may represent hypoplasia of the auditory/speech related tracts. Hemispheric asymmetries however remain largely intact.

So Kaitin! Here is a question for our resident researcher. Can you find any
studies that demonstrate these changes do not occur in congenitally Deaf
children who are exposed to and learn sign language from birth?

So Kaitin! Here is a question for our resident researcher. Can you find any studies that demonstrate these changes do not occur in congenitally Deaf children who are exposed to and learn sign language from birth?

Maybe part of the answer from these but the articles about the brain are very difficult :dizzy: and I am going out because it is Saturday night :P -

From Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998 Feb 3;95(3):922-9: Cerebral organization for language in deaf and hearing subjects: biological constraints and effects of experience

Cerebral organization during sentence processing in English and in American Sign Language (ASL) was characterized by employing functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) at 4 T. Effects of deafness, age of language acquisition, and bilingualism were assessed by comparing results from (i) normally hearing, monolingual, native speakers of English, (ii) congenitally, genetically deaf, native signers of ASL who learned English late and through the visual modality, and (iii) normally hearing bilinguals who were native signers of ASL and speakers of English. All groups, hearing and deaf, processing their native language, English or ASL, displayed strong and repeated activation within classical language areas of the left hemisphere. Deaf subjects reading English did not display activation in these regions. These results suggest that the early acquisition of a natural language is important in the expression of the strong bias for these areas to mediate language, independently of the form of the language. In addition, native signers, hearing and deaf, displayed extensive activation of homologous areas within the right hemisphere, indicating that the specific processing requirements of the language also in part determine the organization of the language systems of the brain.

---

From Brain Lang. 1997 May;57(3):285-308: Neural systems mediating American sign language: effects of sensory experience and age of acquisition

ERPs were recorded from deaf and hearing native signers and from hearing subjects who acquired ASL late or not at all as they viewed ASL signs that formed sentences. The results were compared across these groups and with those from hearing subjects reading English sentences. The results suggest that there are constraints on the organization of the neural systems that mediate formal languages and that these are independent of the modality through which language is acquired. These include different specializations of anterior and posterior cortical regions in aspects of grammatical and semantic processing and a bias for the left hemisphere to mediate aspects of mnemonic functions in language. Additionally, the results suggest that the nature and timing of sensory and language experience significantly impact the development of the language systems of the brain. Effects of the early acquisition of ASL include an increased role for the right hemisphere and for parietal cortex and this occurs in both hearing and deaf native signers. An increased role of posterior temporal and occipital areas occurs in deaf native signers only and thus may be attributable to auditory deprivation.

=============

Also - maybe there is a short period of time to learn ASL and not just to have CI

From Nat Neurosci. 2002 Jan;5(1):76-80: A critical period for right hemisphere recruitment in American Sign Language processing

Signed languages such as American Sign Language (ASL) are natural languages that are formally similar to spoken languages, and thus present an opportunity to examine the effects of language structure and modality on the neural organization for language. Native learners of spoken languages show predominantly left-lateralized patterns of neural activation for language processing, whereas native learners of ASL show extensive right hemisphere (RH) and LH activation. We demonstrate that the RH angular gyrus is active during ASL processing only in native signers (hearing, ASL-English bilinguals) but not in those who acquired ASL after puberty (hearing, native English speakers). This is the first demonstration of a 'sensitive' or 'critical' period for language in an RH structure. This has implications for language acquisition and for understanding age-related changes in neuroplasticity more generally.

If I find more tomorrow or really late tonight (or earlier tonight if the night is lame :P) I will post. Have a good night, everyone! :fruit:

Study of Deaf, deaf, native ASL hearies, and hearies

In summary, classical language areas within the left hemisphere were recruited in all groups (hearing or deaf) when processing their native language (ASL or English). In contrast, deaf subjects reading English did not display activation in these areas. These results suggest that the early acquisition of a fully grammatical, natural language is important in the specialization of these systems and support the hypothesis that the delayed and/or imperfect acquisition of a language leads to an anomalous pattern of brain organization for that language.Dagger Dagger Furthermore, the activation of right hemisphere areas when hearing and deaf native signers process sentences in ASL, but not when native speakers process English, implies that the specific nature and structure of ASL results in the recruitment of the right hemisphere into the language system. This study highlights the presence of strong biases that render regions of the left hemisphere well suited to process a natural language independently of the form of the language, and reveals that the specific structural processing requirements of the language also in part determine the final form of the language systems of the brain.

So if my child were Deaf and I saw this study, I would think, gee I want
to maximize my childs oportunities and it seems that ASL uses both
sides of the brain. All hands on deck, sort of thing. I would not want to
limit my child by trying to strengthen a weak area at the expense of a
really strong one. I am not saying that I wouldn't use oralisum. I am saying
do not tie the athletes arms down and let them atrophy because you want
to improve his weak legs. Especially if his arms are really strong! Why waste
that strength. Do Both. Exercise the legs with extra care but develop those
arms too. They could carry him where the legs could not.

how do you account for the consistent discrepancies in both verbal testing and academic achievement rates of deaf children who have been restricted to an oral only environment?

Show proof of that, please.

In summary, classical language areas within the left hemisphere were recruited in all groups (hearing or deaf) when processing their native language (ASL or English). In contrast, deaf subjects reading English did not display activation in these areas. These results suggest that the early acquisition of a fully grammatical, natural language is important in the specialization of these systems and support the hypothesis that the delayed and/or imperfect acquisition of a language leads to an anomalous pattern of brain organization for that language.Dagger Dagger Furthermore, the activation of right hemisphere areas when hearing and deaf native signers process sentences in ASL, but not when native speakers process English, implies that the specific nature and structure of ASL results in the recruitment of the right hemisphere into the language system. This study highlights the presence of strong biases that render regions of the left hemisphere well suited to process a natural language independently of the form of the language, and reveals that the specific structural processing requirements of the language also in part determine the final form of the language systems of the brain.

:gpost:

That was what happened to me growing up being in a strictly oral-only environment 24/7. All I did was just focus on making sure I know what is happening in class rather than just learning new information. My focus and energies were spent making up for the missed information.

:ty: My mom is a English professor and loves language. She speaks several with English and now is learning Russian by herself only because she is interested! My parents took ASL classes when I was a baby (I failed the newborn test) and for years after. I didn't speak until late even with ST so probably without ASL as a baby I would have no language at all. My mom thinks sign is a natural language - she had my sister teach her hearing kids (my neices) sign because they can learn sign before speech. My mom says she probably would learn ASL without me because it is a great language.

To me the worse time in school are when I focus too much on oral/speech. The first semester of college was horrible without interpreters (my bad decision). For many many years ST was a waste because they only teach sounds and not meaning, how to use the word etc so much. Knowing to put your tongue "here" and lips "this" etc doesn't help with math, science, or even English class. My parents changed my ST for more understanding and word use and less time per week. Then ST was much better, but I wasted so many hours on nothing to me.

I can't imagine a family not knowing ASL or a deaf/HoH kid. Probably I would flunk school and not communicate with my family. Just typing this........I can't imagine - your family not communicating? :cry: As a kid I would die because of sadness. I am lucky I guess with my parents.

JME.
Kaitin, you are definitely blessed that your family did that for u. There are still many families, including my own, out there that are unable to communicate with their deaf members simply because they havent taken the time and consideration to learn ASL.
Yea, it is pretty sad and many deaf children usually develop emotional/behavior issues. My brother and I did but luckily it didnt completely destroy us.

2 of my current students are perfect proof of that. They have beautiful oral language and can communicate easily orally, however when it comes to academics concepts, it takes them a lot longer than the others who have been exposed to ASL or those from deaf families to pick up on the concepts and apply them. I have to modify my lessons for those two or use my aide to work with them one on one for extra help. If that is not proof, then I dont know what is proof.

These are eactly the cognitive difficulties of which I speak.

Proof of what? Check any Dept of Ed's statistics and test scores. Are you saying that these differences and deficits in testing don't exist within the population of deaf students?

My question was, how do you account for it? Another question goes unanswered.

Last edited:
2 of my current students are perfect proof of that. They have beautiful oral language and can communicate easily orally, however when it comes to academics concepts, it takes them a lot longer than the others who have been exposed to ASL or those from deaf families to pick up on the concepts and apply them. I have to modify my lessons for those two or use my aide to work with them one on one for extra help. If that is not proof, then I dont know what is proof.

Exactly, shel. It is about the ability to apply and develop critical thinking skills.

Proof of what? Check any Dept of Ed's statistics and test scores. Are you saying that these differences and deficits in testing don't exist within the population of deaf students?

I was looking on Tennessee Department of Eduation for info. Can you direct me to a site since I was not able to find? I looked at TVASS, AYP, and Achievement. Any article I found it was from the 70's and 80's.

I was looking on Tennessee Department of Eduation for info. Can you direct me to a site since I was not able to find? I looked at TVASS, AYP, and Achievement. Any article I found it was from the 70's and 80's.

Go to the State Dept. of Ed. Website, and then search for achievement scores/deaf programs. All the states have their website set up a bit differently. You can also check out the Journal for Deaf Studies and Education. They will have many recent research articles done regarding achievement.

Go to the State Dept. of Ed. Website, and then search for achievement scores/deaf programs. All the states have their website set up a bit differently. You can also check out the Journal for Deaf Studies and Education. They will have many recent research articles done regarding achievement.

Ok I will, thanks

Back