Acoustic Characteristics of the Speech of Young Cochlear Implant Users

That's exactly how it was for me regarding lipreading. How does a deaf child get a good quality education through a mode of communication like that?

That's just it.....they don't.

That's exactly how it was for me regarding lipreading. How does a deaf child get a good quality education through a mode of communication like that?

shel90 - With Cued Speech as the system.

shel90 - With Cued Speech as the system.

as in the system, fine but as a whole system? I dont know cuz it is not identified as a language of its own. I dont mind it as a tool.

deafdyke

Does this tool box include Cued Speech?

loml, deafdyke has always shown her support for cued speech in many posts in different threads so yes, I would believe that CS is included as well.

loml, deafdyke has always shown her support for cued speech in many posts in different threads so yes, I would believe that CS is included as well.

shel90 - So then CS would be included for dd, and for the rest of you?

as in the system, fine but as a whole system? I dont know cuz it is not identified as a language of its own. I dont mind it as a tool.

shel90- You are quite right the system itself is not a language, and it has never claimed to be one. Cued Speech can/does support speech reading. For me the question is why wouldn't it be used?

shel90- You are quite right the system itself is not a language, and it has never claimed to be one. Cued Speech can/does support speech reading. For me the question is why wouldn't it be used?

I dunno...it has been brought up by the administrators at my work. One of the new teachers wants to use it with some of the students she felt would get benefit. I told her to go for it but the superintent and Board of trustess would have to approve of it first. I think it has been brought up with them as well.

shel90- Could you clarify what you are meaning by "in the system"?

CS as the "whole system" for learning spoken/printed language, and I do not mean as a speech tool.

shel90- Could you clarify what you are meaning by "in the system"?

CS as the "whole system" for learning spoken/printed language, and I do not mean as a speech tool.

in the system along with ASL and spoken language rather than just using it as the only tool. Hope that makes sense. If not, then I am just babbling and not making sense. LOL!

I dunno...it has been brought up by the administrators at my work. One of the new teachers wants to use it with some of the students she felt would get benefit. I told her to go for it but the superintent and Board of trustess would have to approve of it first. I think it has been brought up with them as well.

shel90- I hope that the new teacher continues to persue her goal. I would gladly support her in whatever manner I am able.

Because in a bilingual/bicultural eudcational atmosphere, English is taught with ASL support. In that way, the child is provided with a complete language system visually that permits the teaching of a second language. When teachers and students are all communicating through ASL, speechreading for comprehension is not necessary.

in the system along with ASL and spoken language rather than just using it as the only tool. Hope that makes sense. If not, then I am just babbling and not making sense. LOL!

shel90- In the educational setting I would agree completely with you. I also believe that families should be provided CS as an option for early intervention.

Because in a bilingual/bicultural eudcational atmosphere, English is taught with ASL support. In that way, the child is provided with a complete language system visually that permits the teaching of a second language. When teachers and students are all communicating through ASL, speechreading for comprehension is not necessary.

I agree but the problem with our school is that students are referred to our school with practically no language so maybe CS can be used with those students for access to reading and writing while they are developing language via ASL? If these kids were exposed to ASL from the get go, we wouldnt have this problem.

shel90- In the educational setting I would agree completely with you. I also believe that families should be provided CS as an option for early intervention.

early intervention as in babies? I dont know about u but I prefer just use ASL and spoken English and use CS for those who are language delayed in the educational setting to help them with reading/writing. That is what that teacher told me about how CS should be used.

I agree but the problem with our school is that students are referred to our school with practically no language so maybe CS can be used with those students for access to reading and writing while they are developing language via ASL? If these kids were exposed to ASL from the get go, we wouldnt have this problem.

Agreed. But with CS, they are still not making up language delays. With ASL exposure, they are. Without remediation of the language delays reading comprehension will not be possible. A student has to understand concept, and also have internalized symbol to concept before reading comprehension is possible.

Back