A Techie Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

There is best free anti-virus program offered by MS is MS Security Essentials, it won't slow my PC or interrupt any programs, such as mods and trainers.

Never spend $$$$$ on anti-virus programs and they are no help.

Hate to say, XP sucks and they are security holes.
I wont install MS Security Essentials on my any pc... if I installed it on my pc, they are still security holes.. MS Security Essentials is SUCKS!

then why few weeks ago someone successfully hacked windows users's bank's account and stolen their monies.

I wont install MS Security Essentials on my any pc... if I installed it on my pc, they are still security holes.. MS Security Essentials is SUCKS!

then why few weeks ago someone successfully hacked windows users's bank's account and stolen their monies.
My computer has zero securities, and I have yet to be hacked, and no viruses. Runs fine at the moment.

My computer has zero securities, and I have yet to be hacked, and no viruses. Runs fine at the moment.

Agreed. I have no problem with MS Security Essentials for many customers and they don't complain anything about virus and spyware so far.

eh? MS Security Essential (MSE) is pretty robust. It's using MS ForeFront technology.... it's a commercial-grade security program. It's surprisingly impressive. My friend gives it a thumb up and... he's SANS-CERTIFIED. That speaks the volume than most of us combined.

I think ya'all are getting a little way over your head about Linux and MacOS's "robust" security hype. Ya'all need to know that MacOS is NOT THE SAME as Ubuntu or any other linux software. Sure it's based on unix but Apple has the full control of it - 100% PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE.

Ubuntu is robust because it's open-source and it has frequent security updates. You can easily update/fix the security exploit YOURSELF. You can't fix the security exploit in Microsoft but at least Microsoft is pretty quick to fix it and it has frequent security updates.

But Apple? it's bad... it does not do the frequent security updates. It is slow to respond to security exploit. And you cannot fix it yourself.

What - you want to fix it?

It won't even boot up now. Just gets stuck. Naisho and I just did a major clean up and got it running really well, now a week later I get this.

Here the issue:

On Monday this week, I installed drivers on the netbook for an HP CD-Writer 8200e for an external CD drive I had. It is a somewhat older CD drive, but worked fine. It was a little "rusty" from not being used for 2 years or so, but I was able to play a music CD and use my ASL CD's like I wanted. Son then asked if he could use it and if he could try to install a game he has that won't run on my XP. Disciples II Gold. It took a little bit to install them, but it was the CD drive still working out kinks or something. The game ran fine for him afterwards.

Monday evening, son, MIL and I went to our weight loss group. Daughter then used the netbook. She went under my login and used FireFox and went to YouTube. The netbook froze and locked up and she shut it off. After we got home from weight loss, son then used the netbook and used his login and using FireFox, went to YouTube. It again froze up and locked up. Son waited for 15 minutes and nothing happened. He shut it off. Control-Alt-Delete did not work.

On Tuesday, son went to turn on the netbook, it goes straight to the screen to ask if you want to go to safe mode and all. When we say login in like usual, it freezes up. If I go to safe mode, I get the running list of programs or whatever and then freezes up. It cannot get to Windows. Would you like me to use my webcam and make a video of the process or do you understand?

I don't know if it's the Disciples II Gold or the drivers for my CD-Writer or my ASL programs that did this. I don't think it's an issue with FireFox and Youtube since a lot of people use FireFox and Youtube, right?

hmm never mind :aw:

source please?

source please?

Mac OS X security myth exposed
Windows is more secure than you think, and Mac OS X is worse than you ever imagined. That is according to statistics published for the first time this week by Danish security firm Secunia.

Mac OS X doesn't stand out as particularly more secure than the competition, according to Secunia. Of the 36 advisories issued in 2003-2004, 61 percent could be exploited across the Internet and 32 percent enabled attackers to take over the system. The proportion of critical bugs was also comparable with other software: 33 percent of the OS X vulnerabilities were "highly" or "extremely" critical by Secunia's reckoning, compared with 30 percent for XP Professional and 27 percent for SLES 8 and just 12 percent for Advanced Server 3. OS X had the highest proportion of "extremely critical" bugs at 19 percent.

A recent Forrester study comparing Windows and Linux vendor response times on security flaws was heavily criticised for its conclusion that Linux vendors took longer to release patches. Linux vendors attach more weight to more critical flaws, leaving unimportant bugs for later patching, something the study failed to factor in, according to Linux companies. Vendors also took issue with the study's method of ranking "critical" security bugs, which didn't agree with the vendors' own criteria.

How you know?
because my friends are SANS-certified, Cisco-certified, and... system administrators.

what about it? The link doesn't mean anything to me.

why don't you explain me this line - "For the protection of our customers, Apple does not disclose, discuss or confirm security issues until a full investigation has occurred and any necessary patches or releases are available."

This is why government agencies (relating to handling highly-sensitive classified materials) use either Microsoft or Linux..... not Apple.
and they use Blackberry..... not iPhone.

you don't believe me? Ask Obama or National Security Agency :)

why ask for source if it was old news?

Do you think operating system's security is exactly same now and six years ago? Why bother to find old news from outdate OS?

Mac OS X Panther is outdated. I don't see anyone use Panther anymore, Just Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard so far which they release after 2005-2008. They are huge change.

Yes you might think that I am full of it?, fine with me.. So perfect time, I've found the article you might interesting to read.

:ty: But there's nothing in the article talking about Microsoft Security Essentials

Apparently most anti-virus software can't detect the trojan yet, so M86 is advising people to stay vigilant about their online banking.

according to M86 Security. They say they've "never seen such a sophisticated and dangerous threat." Oh. Wonderful.

If M86 Security company.... the largest renowned security company is surprised about this virus and has never seen this before... you are screwed! It doesn't really matter if you're using Norton Antivirus, McAfee, MacOS X, Ubuntu, or anything. This is a highly sophisticated trojan virus.

Zeus is an incredible trojan. I saw a demo run video made by some security company and its plugin system is fantastic, plugins are much stronger than in plugin-able free trojans around the internet. That is probably because of the massive profit and the cost of this trojan though, it takes a few grand to your hands on Zeus.

Most of the people that use it also pay for private crypters, so watch the fuck out because you anti-virus is NOT going to detect it. Don't use programs with vulnerabilities, avoid pirating stuff unless you know how to test programs (on a DIFFERENT computer), and check startup entries and services from time to time.

At least they are less problem than Vista. :aw:

Vista? why talk about Vista? Vista is garbage. Windows 7 is much better. very robust.

In terms of security strength - Ubuntu (or other linux distro) is more secured than Windows which is more secured than Mac OS

Do you think operating system's security is exactly same now and six years ago? Why bother to find old news from outdate OS?
Who is responsible for security updates? Apple, right? It's the Apple who is being very lazy to release security updates. They haven't changed their bad habit. They focused on making iPhone and MacBook look pretty than maintaining the Mac OS.

Mac OS X Panther is outdated. I don't see anyone use Panther anymore, Just Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard so far which they release after 2005-2008. They are huge change.

huh?

Mac OS X Panther... Tiger..... Leopard..... Snow Leopard...... they ALL have SAME core part of OS. The only thing that is different is UI updates, security updates, etc...

so are you telling me Mac OS X Panther and Tiger and Leopard and Snow Leopard are completely different from each other?

Who is responsible for security updates? Apple, right? It's the Apple who is being very lazy to release security updates. They haven't changed their bad habit. They focused on making iPhone and MacBook look pretty than maintaining the Mac OS.

huh?

Mac OS X Panther... Tiger..... Leopard..... Snow Leopard...... they ALL have SAME kernel (the core part of OS). The only thing that is different is UI updates, security updates, etc...

so are you telling me Mac OS X Panther and Tiger and Leopard and Snow Leopard are completely different from each other?

You just answer your own question. :aw: There is no point to argue.

here highlander.... an update information to that old link (same company) - July 28, 2010

The Myth of the Secure Apple OS
Talk to an Apple fanboy or girl, and chances are they'll tell you the company's Mac software is "better" than Microsoft's -- or anyone else's for that matter. So there will be a few of them slinking around holding their heads in shame right now thanks to some research published recently by security company Secunia.

It turns out that of all the software vendors Secunia studied -- and it looked at all the big boys including Microsoft, Oracle, Adobe, Mozilla, Google, IBM and so on -- the vendor with the most vulnerabilities in all its products was ... you guessed it: Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL).

It's ironic, really, when earlier this year Apple's Steve Jobs refused to allow Adobe's Flash on the iPhone or iPad, justifying the decision by calling Adobe lazy and saying: "Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy." The words "pot," "kettle" and "black" spring to mind.

Of course it's true to say that bugs and vulnerabilities are not the same thing, and also that the raw number of vulnerabilities doesn't give a precise indication of the relative overall security of a given vendor's offerings. What we can say is that no one is perfect. Apple may be the least perfect of them all -- at least when it comes to writing vulnerability-free code.

Apple's interest these days is in selling closed systems: Devices like the iPhone and iPad that don't provide root access to their owners and that can run only software that Apple specifically approves (and, rather handily, takes a juicy financial cut of) via the AppStore and iTunes.

Apple's control over the software these devices can run means it can outlaw applications or vendors it believes present security risks. What's more, its control over software distribution means users can be notified of security patches for all their applications very easily, and they can download these updates from a single source. On the face of it, that's good for security, and it compares favorably with traditional enterprise OSes. For example, if you look at machines running Windows OSes like Windows Server 2008, Secunia says about 35 percent of vulnerability patches can be downloaded from Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT), but the remaining 65 percent must be downloaded using about 13 or more other update mechanisms from various third parties.

:)

Back