a question abt culture

SpiceHD

Reaction score
im trying to teach a several people abt culture and seem like i am bad at it... i d like a little help here.

Why do hearing have to keep eye contact with a deaf person when deaf person was speaking verbally? (hearing people understand they have to keep eye contact when they were speaking to deaf person so deaf person can lip reading but why do they have to keep eye contact WHEN deaf person were speaking verbally?)

why is it rude when hearing person look away from deaf person to respond to other person?

why is it that deaf people like to hug?

why do deaf people like to be informed that u were leaving when it doesnt bother hearing people?

Why do deaf people love to chat and chat and chat?

why do deaf people doesnt get offended when people walk through them but do get offended when a person paused to say excuse me?

i cant think of any thing else so if u can answer any of those and have more culture common among deaf people please feel free to add.

Why do hearing have to keep eye contact with a deaf person when deaf person was speaking verbally? (hearing people understand they have to keep eye contact when they were speaking to deaf person so deaf person can lip reading but why do they have to keep eye contact WHEN deaf person were speaking verbally?)
it comes down to if your not looking at them, watching them sign or speak - then it is thought that your not listening or paying attention to the conversation. Eye contact does not have to be maintained 100% of the time but needs to be within the area of the signing

why is it rude when hearing person look away from deaf person to respond to other person?
well it would be less rude if you said 'excuse me' first before you start talking to someone else. Or if this 3rd person is joining the conversation it would help if the Deaf person knew what you were talking about...(continue signing)

last time I checked lots of people hug - again Deaf or Hearing - I think it more depends on the person....

why do deaf people like to be informed that u were leaving when it doesnt bother hearing people?

I think that is just a courtesy to say goodbye - Deaf or Hearing....

Obviously in the Deaf community it is a lot smaller than hearing community. So when they get together in a large group they have a lot of catching up to do, lots of people to chat with and new people to meet.

why do deaf people doesnt get offended when people walk through them but do get offended when a person paused to say excuse me?
Because by stoping to say excuse me, it actually interups the convo - they stop signing - say ok to you - and then have to continue signing the convo. So just walk threw and they people will just keep signing.

im trying to teach a several people abt culture and seem like i am bad at it... i d like a little help here.
Okay, I'll see what I can do.

I'm assuming you mean talking-voicing. If that deaf person does sign and is used to signing then they are used to the person needing to look at them to understand, even when they are voicing (can't understand signing if you can't see it). Even if they don't sign, they probably want eye contact to make sure you are still paying attention, and if you look away you may be looking at something important you can't hear
Looking away is fine, if you warn the person you are going to do it first. If the deaf person is signing, you completely cutting them off when you look away. If you are signing, you're still suddenly jerking away to respond to something that they can't hear, it halts the conversation in an inappropriate way. Then yes, if the other person is hearing and you have a spoken conversation, you leave the deaf person out
Until recently, people in the deaf community did not have much daily contact with each other. When they did see each other, it was a special occasion, so they'd want to hug. Also, it is nice to be with people who truly understand and accept you, wanted to hug them makes sense.
This mostly happens in informal settings, like someone's house. Let's say you are going to the bathroom...hearing people hear you go down the hall and into the bathroom, they hear the door close, etc. Deaf people don't...they wonder where you've gone, maybe then have to go to the bathroom themselves and possibly walk in on you. Even if it's not like that, it has to do with hearing where the other people go.
Easy one to answer. Deaf people don't get to just talk with anyone all day, they can go days, even weeks, without being able to have a fluent face-to-face conversation with someone...when they get to, they want to talk! Now with VP's (and pagers) that has improved, but the cultural norm still stands, and vp's don't replace being able to have constant interaction that hearing people take for granted.

In a visual conversation, there will be interruptions in a crowded place, but the idea is to make them as minimal as possible. A conversation can still go on if you miss one or two signs from a person walking by, but when someone says excuse me it takes away the eye contact of all people in the conversation, and is completely distracting. Again, deaf people didn't used to be able to get together and chat a whole lot, so when they did, they wanted full conversations!

i cant think of any thing else so if u can answer any of those and have more culture common among deaf people please feel free to add.[/QUOTE]
I totally will...later, but it's 2 am, so hope what I wrote was coherent :)

Thank you... im gonna print this on next mon and hopefully this will help shed some light heh

Deaf people are visual. When they see another person looking at them while they're talking, it shows that they are being paid attention to.
Since deaf people are more visual, not paying attention can be a sign that you're not interested and that can be considered offensive. Sometimes, I'll be talking to a hearing person and when that person looks away... I wonder if he's actually paying attention to what I'm saying.
Hmm... you got me there. I guess it's a physical thing? :dunno:
Again, deaf people are visual. They like to be aware of what's going on. I'm in between deaf and hearing cultures, so I don't always let it bother me... unless I was in a conversation with that person and was briefly interupted.
Hmm... :dunno:
When you say, "excuse me", you are actually stopping their conversation... and that bothers them.
i cant think of any thing else so if u can answer any of those and have more culture common among deaf people please feel free to add.
I can't think of anything at the moment. I often have a hard time explaining things like this since I'm "deaf" and not "Deaf".

I can't think of anything at the moment. I often have a hard time explaining things like this since I'm "deaf" and not "Deaf".

Ditto!!! I can adapt to Hearing ways that was considered polite cuz i was raised that way... but.. same time i like to expect hearing people to respect deaf ways too and only way to do that is to explain to them why and what heh. often i dont even bother to explain unless its actually was happening right at that time then i get irrated and tries to explain and more often than not... i got dismissed for it. So im trying to find ways to explain... looking for videos, and books, and maybe better way to word it. I know theres a million of deaf ways but most of them are usually happens at deaf school or deaf event or wahtever... rarely happens between hearing and deaf person so unless that specific hearing person is training to be interpreter or wants to be extra involved i wont bother to explain heh.:cool:

I have question

so to walk around the conversation is rude?
how about when you want to get into the conversation?:ty:

We were taught in ITP that the habit relates back to residential school safety. School staff and friends needed to know where each student was at all times in case there was an emergency, like a fire. Especially back in the days when buildings didn't have strobe fire alarms, vibrating pagers, etc. Each person had to look out for the other.

what's rude

I have a question.
so is it rude to walk around the conversation? or rude walk through and say excuse me?

I have a question.
so is it rude to walk around the conversation? or rude walk through and say excuse me?

Just WALK thru. Do not wait or pause for us to look at you just to see you say "excuse me"... if you want to be polite, say excuse-me WHILE you are walking thru.

It is MORE awkward to pause the convo just to NOTICE the interpution. We are used to people walking thru our convo. Our lives do not fall apart at that moment.
;-)

ha ha one more question

so it's not good to walk around when people are signing?
if so what's the reason?
:ty:

so it's not good to walk around when people are signing?
if so what's the reason?
:ty:

You can walk around if there are enough room.
But if there are 5 inches space behind the signer and you are trying to squeeze yourself to get around-- don't. Just go through. Because then the signers will get distracted as you bump and nudge as you squeeze yourself. :)

Back