A Question about Questions?

JanatheShort

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question (actually, I have a million, but... just one for today lol).

When people notice that you are deaf or hoh, would you rather them ask questions or not ask you? Do you get tired of lots of questions or is it cool for you to know someone is interested in your culture?

:ty:

Personally, I'm always open. It entirely depends on your attitude.

But for stupid questions like, "why do you drive?" That's pretty ignorant.

Wow okay, maybe I should say "intelligent questions"... I don't think anyone would really enjoy answering questions that are stupid or insulting. :hmm:

Hi everyone,

When people notice that you are deaf or hoh, would you rather them ask questions or not ask you? Do you get tired of lots of questions or is it cool for you to know someone is interested in your culture?

Well, they are asking their own burning question so, yes, I accommodate them. I think it is cool that they ask; don't want the culture any more cloistered than it is....

I would agree with others.

Why do you drive is a stupid question.

If someone asked me why do I drive a car with turbocharged engine that is an entire different view. It is not a stupid question. I won't mind answering it :).

I would agree with others.

Why do you drive is a stupid question.

If someone asked me why do I drive a car with turbocharged engine that is an entire different view. It is not a stupid question. I won't mind answering it :).

Hmmm.... :hmm: how exactly do you turbocharge an engine? Is that like when you put nitrous oxide in it like on Need for Speed?

Since I lost my hearing overnight I get a lot of, "Oh I'm sorry".
I think it is awesome when someone just asks me "how was your day". Makes me smile.

Derek, that's awesome. Do you have a car with a turbocharged engine?

I used to have a 1993 Eclipse GSX AWD turbo and a 1994 Probe GT. They were nice car, but I have a Dodge Ram pick up truck now that I am trying to sell. I would not mind getting a sport(y) car again in the near future.

I used to have a 1993 Eclipse GSX AWD turbo and a 1994 Probe GT. They were nice car, but I have a Dodge Ram pick up truck now that I am trying to sell. I would not mind getting a sport(y) car again in the near future.

I'm totally jealous. I drive a Chevy Aveo. LOL Great fuel milage but not so sporty... I love Mustangs.

Hi everyone,

If they are real cool then i do not mind them asking me anything but if they are not cool. Nope. LOL

Most of the time I am ok with someone asking me questions. Sometimes I'm not and I just politely suggest that they ask me the questions at a more appropriate time. I actually enjoy talking about this subject. I don't mind the stupid questions as long at they are sincere and not mocking.

I'm open to talking with them... as long as they do straightforwardly and not in a LOOK-AT-ME-I-AM-LEARNING-TO-SIGN manner.

For instance, I'll be standing there minding my own business. Suddenly, this guy approaches me and starts signing in the worse manner possible.

Here's how he does it...

*waves hand* *signs* Deaf?

*signs* My... *looks up* *thinks hard* *signs* name... *looks to the right* *thinks hard* *signs* is... *looks to the left* *thinks hard* *speaks* Umm... *signs* T... *looks to the ground* *thinks hard* *speaks* Hmm... Oh! *signs* O... *looks at his own right hand* *thinks hard* *signs* M... *nods head like a little kid looking at an ice cream cone*

Of course, I'll speak out loud... "Hello Tom, nice to meet you."

Then he spends the next 10 minutes trying to say, "I am learning sign language."

From there, I am no longer interested in talking with this guy.

haha okay it's good to know that if it takes me 3 hours to sign my name, I should just find a different way to communicate. Any other way.

Thanks for the imput everyone... *listening and learning*

Back