A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

Metzler? Good tires I run those on my bike.

:thumb:

did you scrub the new tires with sandpaper? it's so that you won't slip while cornering. Fresh tire is oily and shiny.

Never thought of that! What sandpaper grit size I should use to pre-scrub new tires.

I can take an opportunity while bike is still on stand and can spin wheel freely while sanding. Yes, I am fully aware that new tires are oily and shiny.. I've read the warning notice on form before signing it saying that I have to be careful riding bike until tires been scrubbed and 100 miles of usage (signed paper at Cycle Gear store). Pre-Scrubbing tires with sandpaper wasn't on the list.

Thanks for the suggestion so I can jump ahead to corner normally without worrying about dropping bike.

Catty

Never thought of that! What sandpaper grit size I should use to pre-scrub new tires.

I can take an opportunity while bike is still on stand and can spin wheel freely while sanding. Yes, I am fully aware that new tires are oily and shiny.. I've read the warning notice on form before signing it saying that I have to be careful riding bike until tires been scrubbed and 100 miles of usage (signed paper at Cycle Gear store). Pre-Scrubbing tires with sandpaper wasn't on the list.

Thanks for the suggestion so I can jump ahead to corner normally without worrying about dropping bike.

Catty

you know - there are dozens of suggestions - ranging from 120-400 grits. Some even said using brake cleaner fluid :eek3: (he's insane... I think he's joking cuz brake cleaner fluid kills plastic/rubber). Some used dishwasher soap.

Or..... you can do this - just carefully ride the bike to get on highway or any road that is long and straight. Just ride for an hour or so.

:rofl2: I doubt so. Since the compressed air averaging 90 to 150 psi, Impact wrench won't blow your face or hand off... Since it's cheap, it won't remove lugs off car wheel (rated 250 ft lbs). More expensive impact (450+ ft lbs) wrench would be able to do the job. I do have impact wrench but it's a 250 ft lb version, I've tried to remove lug and it won't do the job.

I can't wait to get tires changed today. I will take pix after I install wheel back on Volusia. Pair of Melzeter tires!!!! Yahhooo!!

Catty

250 ft lbs?! That's pretty over tighten. Most vehicles *small car to suv* are around 90-130 ft lbs. The over tighten lug may crack a rim and damage tire bolt. Most mechanics don't have time to use a torque wrench. I heard some mechanics got fired from auto shop for use a impact wrench to tighten. I use a impact wrench for loose lugs/bolt/nut only.

Be careful not to over tighten your lug nuts!

250 ft lbs?! That's pretty over tighten. Most vehicles *small car to suv* are around 90-130 ft lbs. The over tighten lug may crack a rim and damage tire bolt. Most mechanics don't have time to use a torque wrench. I heard some mechanics got fired from auto shop for use a impact wrench to tighten. I use a impact wrench for loose lugs/bolt/nut only.

Be careful not to over tighten your lug nuts!

Nah!!!

It's not gonna do that because It's a ft lbs rating of Impact Wrench, it's how strong it can tighten or loosen bolts or nuts. Some have limiter that you can adjust to prevent over-tighten bolt. I prefer 450 up to 650 ft lbs cuz it make job much easier and quicker. Use your judgement and common sense that's all you need.

I used to be a tire changer mechanic when I was in college. Just squeeze trigger until lug stops spinning, then do 2 or 3 pops that's enough. One time, I let impact wrench running until lug broke off :eek2: , My boss wasn't too happy and had to take wheel off then take broken lug off and replace with new one. Told me to be careful, just pop 2 or 3 that's all it need after lug stop spinning.

That's why 250 ft lb impact wrench can't remove lug at all It's good for light job or tighten or loosen nuts or bolts less than 3/4 in.. So use 450+ ft lbs impact wrench, it can loosen lug quickly with ease. Many professionals use that. More expensive impact wrench have built in torque limiter so mechanic don't have to use torque wrench.

I've used 800 or 900 ft lbs Impact wrench. It's a huge "machine gun" like wrench and it require 200 psi pressure to loosen or tighten Semi-Tractor trailer nuts. It does feel like machine gun :rofl:

Catty

you know - there are dozens of suggestions - ranging from 120-400 grits. Some even said using brake cleaner fluid :eek3: (he's insane... I think he's joking cuz brake cleaner fluid kills plastic/rubber). Some used dishwasher soap.

Or..... you can do this - just carefully ride the bike to get on highway or any road that is long and straight. Just ride for an hour or so.

:hmm: good suggestion. I would just prefer sandpaper.. I agree with you brake cleaner can do damage and would make rubber softer and wears out quickly while riding. Highway ummhh I dunno cuz I haven't had license yet.

Today I just finished installing tires and we had bad storm today. After storm went away, road are wet. I rode my bike slow and easy but kinda paranoid that I would drop the bike but it didn't. I rode just 100 ft then head back home cuz I just want to know how new tires handling. I did a little burnout on my rear tire in garage (brake on front tire and throttle up and let out clutch quickly to spin rear tire while standing). My son covered his ear. He said it was so loud plus engine loud too. He begged me to cut it off. :rofl2:

Catty

Highway ummhh I dunno cuz I haven't had license yet.

well well welllllllllllllll....................... no point in me scolding you but you should get the license squared away first before you ride around because we motorcyclists get harassed on daily basis (such as police checkpoints for only motorcyclists) because of some bad squids riding uninsured/unlicensed and the cops either arrested them or chalked their body on the street.

be safe and legal :cool2:

Nah!!!

It's not gonna do that because It's a ft lbs rating of Impact Wrench, it's how strong it can tighten or loosen bolts or nuts. Some have limiter that you can adjust to prevent over-tighten bolt. I prefer 450 up to 650 ft lbs cuz it make job much easier and quicker. Use your judgement and common sense that's all you need.

I used to be a tire changer mechanic when I was in college. Just squeeze trigger until lug stops spinning, then do 2 or 3 pops that's enough. One time, I let impact wrench running until lug broke off :eek2: , My boss wasn't too happy and had to take wheel off then take broken lug off and replace with new one. Told me to be careful, just pop 2 or 3 that's all it need after lug stop spinning.

That's why 250 ft lb impact wrench can't remove lug at all. So use 450+ ft lbs impact wrench, it can loosen lug quickly with ease. Many professionals use that. More expensive impact wrench have built in torque limiter so mechanic don't have to use torque wrench.

Catty

Few my instructors won't recommend for impact wrench with torque limiter and it may error due compressed air, like many mechanics use a compressed air a lot for their tool then PSI will change then impact wrench torque limiter may cause under tighten or over tighten. So torque wrench is more safe than impact wrench torque limiter.

That's why I have 90ft lb impact ratchet and I will buy 500 or more ft lb impact wrench without torque limiter.

We tighten lug with torque wrench at 90-120 ft lb then easy for customer or tow guy to replace a flat tire without impact wrench on the road.

I prefer 450 up to 650 ft lbs cuz it make job much easier and quicker. Use your judgement and common sense that's all you need.

Not anymore, Most old school vehicles use steel rim which should be okay with 650 ft lbs but after 90's most vehicles are aluminum alloy which it can break so easy.

We tighten lug with torque wrench at 90-120 ft lb then easy for customer or tow guy to replace a flat tire without impact wrench on the road.

I don't know about you but if it's easy for customer/tow guy to remove the lug to replace the tire..... they should forget about changing tire. More like - the tow guy will be putting the wrecked car onto his flatbed and the customer's family will be making a funeral arrangement.

I don't know about you but if it's easy for customer/tow guy to remove the lug to replace the tire..... they should forget about changing tire. More like - the tow guy will be putting the wrecked car onto his flatbed and the customer's family will be making a funeral arrangement.

Umm. Did you know we follow manufacturing recommended for safely?

90-120lb ft is most manufacturing recommended. Why you don't check owner manual to see yourself.

Umm. Did you know we follow manufacturing recommended for safely?

90-120lb ft is most manufacturing recommended. Why you don't check owner manual to see yourself.

I don't have a car anymore since 3 years ago :aw:

full-time motorcyclist here, bro...... hence A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing! :cool2:

I don't have a car anymore since 3 years ago :aw:

full-time motorcyclist here, bro...... hence A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing! :cool2:

Then why you bring up about funeral in first place?

Umm. Look up at owner manual for motorcycle too. Did I said check your car's owner manual? Let me check my post and nope, I don't.

The torque wrench is safely for motorcycle too. Do you think motorcycle is fine without torque wrench? I don't think so.

proper torque is a must have. i posted it somewhere else but i bought an old s10 truck years ago and when it came time to change the front brake pads one of the lug nuts was so tight i broke the stud off. plus it does help when changing on the side of the road with they are the right torque. i had a tire shread on I-40 last year in tennessee doing 70mph. had to pull off and change it on the side of the interstate. if it was torqued too much that it wouldnt have come off id have been screwed.

Again, If you think over tighten lug is safely than under tighten lug?

Wrong! Under tighten bolt cause tires vibrate and noise to alarm driver then slow down quick before lugs become full loose.

Over-tighten lug don't make any vibrate or noise but wheel just pop out quick.

Car Talk: Over-tightened bolts could cause Volvo to lose a wheel | Automotive News: Car Talk | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

*looking around* where did I say over-tightening in my post? I have a safety concern about insufficient tightening. Both over and under tightening are bad.

btw - your link has no proof. nobody knows the reason. it's just a speculation. and also - it said the vehicle used wheel bolts, not lug nuts. try again :)

Then why you bring up about funeral in first place?
because............... figure it out

Umm. Look up at owner manual for motorcycle too. Did I said check your car's owner manual? Let me check my post and nope, I don't.
look at this post you wrote. what was the context? automobile.

Few my instructors won't recommend for impact wrench with torque limiter and it may error due compressed air, like many mechanics use a compressed air a lot for their tool then PSI will change then impact wrench torque limiter may cause under tighten or over tighten. So torque wrench is more safe than impact wrench torque limiter.

That's why I have 90ft lb impact ratchet and I will buy 500 or more ft lb impact wrench without torque limiter.

Not anymore, Most old school vehicles use steel rim which should be okay with 650 ft lbs but after 90's most vehicles are aluminum alloy which it can break so easy.

so what is your post about? motorcycle? or car?

The torque wrench is safely for motorcycle too. Do you think motorcycle is fine without torque wrench? I don't think so.
right. and have you changed tires for living?

proper torque is a must have. i posted it somewhere else but i bought an old s10 truck years ago and when it came time to change the front brake pads one of the lug nuts was so tight i broke the stud off. plus it does help when changing on the side of the road with they are the right torque. i had a tire shread on I-40 last year in tennessee doing 70mph. had to pull off and change it on the side of the interstate. if it was torqued too much that it wouldnt have come off id have been screwed.

well - it's an old car so it's rusty, don't ya think? did you try using lube? or heat gun/butane torch?

Back