A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

I just finished modifying my bike, I removed old chinese made lightbar and relocated turn signals to side of forks and added two spotlights (driving lights works both way). I bought metal bar and I had to custom made brackets to fit it on side of forks. My bike looks so nicer than before. Glad that I did away with chinese lightbar. Many stores or online stores do not sells particular type of bracket that can be mounted on fork due to Suzuki VL800 upper fork "Chrome Bell" that prevent clamps to fit in. I had to customize it myself. I rode my bike at night and it was bright and pretty spread out, can see sides of road! Sweet!!! Now that it's much safer during the day cuz of "triangle of lights" where Cagers can't miss it.

(I did rode home at night while wearing Rx sunglasses with no problems, left my rx glasses home ooops!! :giggle: )

On pix below, you may see driving light I bought from Walmart for $19 and it's a matching set to bullet turn signals. Fortunately!!

Here's the pix

Catty

An expert cyclist and an expert motorcyclist are two VERY different things man. I can ride a bike on pavement but can't do tricks to save my life. I can do tricks on a motorcycle all day though. ( It doesn't make sense to some unless you ride ) The point being, you may like speed, but the ability to handle it is completely different. My brother bought a 1000 CC bike never having ridden before and he's not a small guy. He wrecked his first week on it. It's just too much throttle and power to handle when you're new. Not to mention when you're getting endorsed, you typically learn on a cruiser ( Rebel or something similar ) a sport bike is a completely different posture, power and everything. We're not saying it to insult you, we're saying it because I and I'm sure many other bikers have seen far too many people jump on a bike too big for them for their first sport bike because "they like speed and want to go fast" and they wreck. Countless times ( okay, probably 7 or 8 times ) I've seen people jump on these *usually GSXR's* 1000 CC's or even 750's for their first bikes and they wreck... it's not as easy peasy as everyone thinks. it's a lot of power... Another rule bikers always tell each other when they first get licensed, never buy a bike you want to keep and love forever as your first. You're going to dump it, you're going to drop it... you're going to scrape it... something will happen.... repeatedly.... it will happen. Throw yourself on a 1000CC sport bike... it's going to happen 1000 times as often and be 10 times nastier... It's happened to all of us. Close calls, spills, scrapes, drops, dumps, spills... whatever... Other drivers in cars are stupid and when you first get endorsed you're "invincible" especially on a sport bike.... Just think about it... I'm telling you, 1000 CC is way too much... I've been riding for years and 1000 CC bike is still a lot for me for handle at times. Before jumping to 1000 CC bike from my 750 GSXR I took specialty riding courses ( advanced riding courses ) in order to learn how to handle the bike at higher speeds ect ect. 1000 CC is not to be taken lightly! It's not "just another bike" it's not just a bike... it's a death trap. Yes, I have one... yes, I ride it... but I have years of experience and I made sure to take the additional safety courses... I also don't drive like a douche. Liking speed is definitely not a reason to go with a 1000 CC, that's going to get you killed.

I finally had time to read it today. I agree with you 100%. I rode 1979 Honda 750-4 Super Sport (Sport bike of the 70's) and it was only 5 years old at that time when I was 16 years old. MY brother own that bike and I stole his motorcycle and had a joy ride on it. It had lot of power because it's 4 cylinder 750cc engine. I admitted it's a mean bike back then and I nearly flew off the bike when I throttled up. I did 0 to 70mph in 3 seconds on 2nd gear. It's damn scary!!! Exactly like you said driving Ferrari I even did pop clutch and let tire burn rubber, it doesn't wheelie at all because of weight of 4 cylinder in front. Currently, I own Suzuki Volusia 800cc V-twin which is more powerful than my brother's motorcycle. It doesn't do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds at all because of weight of my motorcycle which is 1,025 lbs while my brother's motorcycle probably weighted around 500 lbs or wee bit less. My understanding that today's sport bike have lighter frames and rims with powerful engine which make it more dangerous for novice riders. I've seen several motorcycle accidents which all are of sport motorcycles. Riders are reckless and they think they are immune to anything. They don't understand that hitting a car at high speed is like hitting a cement wall.

Those who owns a Cruiser motorcycle like I do, I can go for 1,800cc which is very powerful cruiser and it can nearly compete sport bike but the handling of it doesn't match the sport bike. It can slip and slide at high speed during cornering because if its weight. Cruiser Motorcycle are not design for racing or high speed riding. It is made for pleasure rides. 1,800cc Cruiser are just exactly like a Cadillac and it rides very smooth on highway. Why 1,800cc? because it allows passing Cagers more quickly, that's simply as is.. It is for those who have long riding experience. I've seen some first time riders dropped their 1,200cc and up motorcycle because it is too heavy for them to handle during turns at slow speed. They did not develop skills and muscles to handle it. First time riders should start with 250cc cruiser like Yamaha Virago (cute little cruiser with cute little V-twin) up to 600cc then 650cc to 1,100 cc is for Intermediate rider and 1,200 and up for expert rider.

There are V8 "Hog" Cruiser motorcycle and I know I can handle it but it's way too powerful cuz just a little more twist of throttle at 70mph can burn rubber and can easily lose control, rest of it would be nasty cuz of 600lbs engine on frame which can kills you instantly if it tumbles on top of you or part of your body would be like covered meat to extra rough grinder.. I don't need V8 under my crotch. It's all about Egoism. It's not worth it because of very poor gas mileage and you can't have fun with group on a long trip unless you have extra gas tank on the trailer hitched to Hog.

I kinda jumped to 800cc bandwagon because I have experience riding 50cc moped for nearly 2 years and my brother's 750cc for a year nearly 30 years ago. My bike is heavy but I can handle very well cuz I have muscles :lol: My son is first time rider and he don't have license. He kinda handle pretty well. He realized that my motorcycle is pretty heavy for him and it have long stopping distance. He nearly dropped my bike while I was riding as passenger, I stomped the ground quickly to upright it during stop. He now understood that it's not like his 22 speed bicycle at all. I told him that if he want to own one, he must take Motorcycle course for $200 bucks for his own safety because He never ridden moped and any motorcycle before.

So therefore Sport Motorcycle and Cruiser Motorcycle are different breeds.

Catty

I started to wonder, what a front plate would look like on a motorcycle, to be similar to those found on cars, and apparently India or some place actually has them.. Wow that looks hideous!

ind_mh-01-e-8148.jpg

I finally had time to read it today. I agree with you 100%. I rode 1979 Honda 750-4 Super Sport (Sport bike of the 70's) and it was only 5 years old at that time when I was 16 years old. MY brother own that bike and I stole his motorcycle and had a joy ride on it. It had lot of power because it's 4 cylinder 750cc engine. I admitted it's a mean bike back then and I nearly flew off the bike when I throttled up. I did 0 to 70mph in 3 seconds on 2nd gear. It's damn scary!!! Exactly like you said driving Ferrari I even did pop clutch and let tire burn rubber, it doesn't wheelie at all because of weight of 4 cylinder in front. Currently, I own Suzuki Volusia 800cc V-twin which is more powerful than my brother's motorcycle. It doesn't do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds at all because of weight of my motorcycle which is 1,025 lbs while my brother's motorcycle probably weighted around 500 lbs or wee bit less. My understanding that today's sport bike have lighter frames and rims with powerful engine which make it more dangerous for novice riders. I've seen several motorcycle accidents which all are of sport motorcycles. Riders are reckless and they think they are immune to anything. They don't understand that hitting a car at high speed is like hitting a cement wall.

Those who owns a Cruiser motorcycle like I do, I can go for 1,800cc which is very powerful cruiser and it can nearly compete sport bike but the handling of it doesn't match the sport bike. It can slip and slide at high speed during cornering because if its weight. Cruiser Motorcycle are not design for racing or high speed riding. It is made for pleasure rides. 1,800cc Cruiser are just exactly like a Cadillac and it rides very smooth on highway. Why 1,800cc? because it allows passing Cagers more quickly, that's simply as is.. It is for those who have long riding experience. I've seen some first time riders dropped their 1,200cc and up motorcycle because it is too heavy for them to handle during turns at slow speed. They did not develop skills and muscles to handle it. First time riders should start with 250cc cruiser like Yamaha Virago (cute little cruiser with cute little V-twin) up to 600cc then 650cc to 1,100 cc is for Intermediate rider and 1,200 and up for expert rider.

There are V8 "Hog" Cruiser motorcycle and I know I can handle it but it's way too powerful cuz just a little more twist of throttle at 70mph can burn rubber and can easily lose control, rest of it would be nasty cuz of 600lbs engine on frame which can kills you instantly if it tumbles on top of you or part of your body would be like covered meat to extra rough grinder.. I don't need V8 under my crotch. It's all about Egoism. It's not worth it because of very poor gas mileage and you can't have fun with group on a long trip unless you have extra gas tank on the trailer hitched to Hog.

I kinda jumped to 800cc bandwagon because I have experience riding 50cc moped for nearly 2 years and my brother's 750cc for a year nearly 30 years ago. My bike is heavy but I can handle very well cuz I have muscles :lol: My son is first time rider and he don't have license. He kinda handle pretty well. He realized that my motorcycle is pretty heavy for him and it have long stopping distance. He nearly dropped my bike while I was riding as passenger, I stomped the ground quickly to upright it during stop. He now understood that it's not like his 22 speed bicycle at all. I told him that if he want to own one, he must take Motorcycle course for $200 bucks for his own safety because He never ridden moped and any motorcycle before.

So therefore Sport Motorcycle and Cruiser Motorcycle are different breeds.

Catty

I always thought the cruiser I have now was an excellent starter cruiser size for most people. It's the Honda Shadow Spirit 750. I'm starting to realize it's too small for me now, and I just upgraded my GSXR to the Hayabusa so now I'm thinking I need to upgrade my Shadow. I love my Shadow but they don't make the Shadow Spirit above a 750 sadly. So, I'm thinking for my height and weight a 900 - 1000 cruiser will be my max. I would never want to go any larger, but I have my eye on either the Honda VTX 1100 or the Yamaha Stryker. I love Honda because they're liquid cooled and well... that speaks for itself. I went to bike week in Daytona and while every air cooled bike ( Harley cough Harley :laugh2: ) was pulled to the side whining about traffic I was giggling and cruising on through on my Shadow. :D The crappy part about the Stryker is a 1300 CC... I've sat on the bike and it doesn't feel terrible and weight wise it's actually not much heavier than the VTX... but lets face it... Honda... is Honda... and they last for freaking ever! Doesn't really matter though, I always buy that ASE warranty. :P Good lord the Stryker is a sexy bike though... Oh my lord is it gorgeous! All I know is I want a gas gauge on this next cruiser I'm tired of forgetting to reset my trip! ( Yes, I still forget to reset my trip, don't say we don't all forget now and again! :mad: ) :P

2013-Yamaha-Stryker-Black.jpg

Yamaha Stryker <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :drool: omg.... So sexy.... :shock: I'd never need a girlfriend again... I would give up all my womanly possessions for this motorcycle... and I think I'm going to... :laugh2: Okay, not all my womanly possessions.... either way, the things I would do with this bike! I love the Hayabusa but this bike... omg...

er,
size isn't everything....

THIS is a Deathtrap.....

Suzuki RG500

and

Suzuki RG500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its old now.....but boy the powerband is tight, in between 7,000-10,000 rpm wirh the rev-counter starting at 3.

imagine ALL of the GSX-R750's power squeezed in that 3,000 range (7 to 10) with nothing from 0 to 6,800.. a LOT happens in there....

very demanding, alot like a poodle just licked LSD and snorted a meth then ran past a racing greyhound dog...its that bad...MENTAL
lol, but seriously though, that was a bike in my youth, its pretty much a forbidden fruit of motorcycles now, mainly due to its emission and its lightswitch powerband

So once a bike is 25 years old, it's a classic? So my EX500 only has 10 more years on that countdown..lol It's funny, because I was out riding once, got stuck behind a large group of motorcycles and they happened to stop where I was going and one of them complimented my 'classic' bike.. I'm like "But it's a 1999 Ninja 500". Weird encounters, we all get them from time to time, right?

I did a lot of volunteer work this past week, and things are winding down. I was able to pick up a 1980 Honda Goldwing 1100 last week Saturday. It runs great but there are some "issues". For one thing, the PO painted the whole bike with outdoor grill paint :mad: .. maybe he thought it was going to get hot ?

Also the clutch handle is very hard to pull in .. it will wear out my forearms in stop and go traffic.

The headlight also does not work, and one of the saddle bag lids is missing.

But ....... I have two GL1100 parts bikes :D

Oh my goodness. I found my original 750 Honda with BSA gas tank. It was my first bike back in 1972 and it was in a shed at the farm. A TREASURE!

Heres my set up, its for long distance cruising to the East and West coast of Canada..

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 14
Going to be reunited with my bike by the end of this week, things I expect to be wrong..

1) I think the fuel line came a little loose
2) I'm an idiot and forgot to unhook the battery and it's been sitting since late December in the garage, my fault entirely, but it's going to require a new battery I'd wager.
3) Who knows, I'm sure some other issue will arise..lol

Still in fair condition? or any plans to restore it?

The bike has too much history. A friend was stationed in Panama during 1970 and someone got killed racing the bike. (His chest was black and blue and it took too long for an ambulance to arrive. :() My friend rode it from there to Texas, where another friend rode it to St. Louis. (His clothes got wind-torn during the long journey.)
I bought the bike from him but only rode it a couple months before it hit me just how entirely too dangerous it is to ride a bike, for Petesake.
Long story short, it is missing the front wheel but is easily repairable.
I am tempted to bury it, instead. :|

Back