A lot of ADers grew up oral?

I grew up orally...never knew about ASL until 6th grade really....infact I didn't know that that's how most deaf people speak until I saw couple deaf people signing when I was in 6th grade.

Now? I'm pretty good at ASL, but still learning... :)

HI--I had access to both worlds growing up. Learned to sign at 3 at a day deaf school, oral at home. My mom noticed that I'd talk better when I was not in a signing environment, especially every summer at the riding (horses) camp. So she started to work on getting me mainstreamed in our local public schools. There was a fight between Mom and the "experts" at the school for a year or so on getting me out. They said I was not ready. Not mature. Mom scoffed and told them, you must have a different kid in mind! I didn't even want to use my HA, I'd turn it off whenever I went to school. What's the use of it if I had to sign? No one would talk at school. Must sign. I started to get promoted up and up until my last class with 13 yr olds and one 14 year old. I was only ten! Before that happened I started getting into trouble over silly things and saying really stupid things just to make things exciting. So out of there, finally. Now, the public schools didn't even have a disabled program. I was their test mainstreaming experiment. I was old enough for 6th grade but my mom and the school officials wanted me to go into 5th grade with everyone I knew. So my sister and I were in the same grade, but separate classrooms. Mom picked the 5th grade teacher. No interpreters and notetakers. However, I had a tutor to keep up with the class with whatever I needed. That kept me up with everyone. They found out I needed glasses when I was forced to read the blackboard....whoops. So when I got my glasses, my family then REALIZED exactly why I wouldn't listen with HA's. They were not helping at all! I never ever wanted to wear glasses! I fought that but when I finally got used to my glasses, I wore them constantly. HA's? Nope. So Mom knew it and left me alone as long as I did good in school. Mom also picked the 6th grade teacher. BIG MISTAKE. She was legally blind. We didn't know it but it was reason why that teacher and I did not get along! I hated her! I also started to do horrible in math because I fell so far behind due to not understanding the math blackboard lectures. (we switched teachers for some subjects) Everything else, no problem. So I passed 6th grade. Onward to middle school, high school. No interpreters but I'd get classmates to do take notes for me using carbon copy I supplied every class I could go. Everyone was great. I was the only deaf student in the entire school. Teachers were helpful, they found ways to help me. They wrote HW on boards, spelling tests for everyone in a way I can do them also, so on. Of course, I found a mean teacher or two, had to go to the remedial room for a short time every day until they found out it was a complete waste of time. So I kept getting a math tutor and speech therapy throughout high school. I barely passed chemistry. In the end, what mattered the most, did I pass high school? in top 1/3? NYS Regents? Good enough. They even recommended me for the gifted program but as soon as I found out who was running it, forget it. When I went to RIT, I was pretty rusty signing but started to pick up again. I was then welcomed to the wonderful world of interpreters and professional notetakers. WOW! I did ok at RIT because I wanted to take a year off to work but I wasn't allowed to. Go to college! At least I was done with school in four years. Problem was, I wanted to do everything!

Sorry long post but I say both worlds is great when you can have that! I think it really helps because when you can do both, you really grow a lot more with experiences. I saw my deaf friends and my hearing friends. I didn't even have a tty or captions until my senior year. So I missed out on the fun captioning....My mom wanted me to learn lipreading more from watching TV without captions but boy was it difficult. I always pestered whoever for dialogue when I wanted to know it!!! I eventually learned so much that I'd ask a few questions and move on. Now I have captions all the time. I really appreeciate that so much--give my eyes a rest from all that lipreading!

In end, after reading everyone's posts in Alldeaf, I realize I am one of the very lucky ones who had so much growing up. I even got a horse because it's something to teach a child responsibility, confidence and more. Remember the thread about family get togethers? I have the same problems as most of you!!!!! Only my sister knew how to fingerspell....I didn't want to sign but needed support in terms of understanding group conversations. I do pen and paper when I run into trouble. I even have the same problem at our camp and rides (local atv group) but it's okay because people are pretty much decent. I see hearing people with issues of their own and it makes this problem nothing to cry over. Life isn't perfect, you know?

I am a hearing person, as I read more about signing versus oral , I more feel like there are two divided camps. So my question is how difficult it is for a deaf kid to learn both? Is this division there because of the decisions of parents or is it really too difficult to achieve even if parents and teachers encourage kids/people for improving their both skills? Is this a wrong decision problem or is there natural limitations preventing kids/people to learn both?

Hermes

I am a hearing person, as I read more about signing versus oral , I more feel like there are two divided camps. So my question is how difficult it is for a deaf kid to learn both? Is this division there because of the decisions of parents or is it really too difficult to achieve even if parents and teachers encourage kids/people for improving their both skills? Is this a wrong decision problem or is there natural limitations preventing kids/people to learn both?

Hermes

There is lot of discussions about that in other threads so try to locate them, on your own time, which say aplenty there... for short, it's usually it is much harder for the deaf to learn speaking/hearing than signing only is the nutshell for the most deaf people.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Oralism sucks! Like one poster here said, " It is like to teach blind people what colors look like"

Born Profoundly deaf, Brought up Oral, Mainstream schools when young then Strict Oral Private Boarding School for the deaf between 11 and 17. Went to mainstream college. Did bit of sign at deaf school in the dorm without elders seeing us! Do little sign with deaf friends now days but i spent 90% of my time with hearies. I am happy as i am.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Oralism sucks! Like one poster here said, " It is like to teach blind people what colors look like"

LOL! No kidding
And they expect us to be be fully educated by that approach?

Do we dare to do something about it ? I dont think so :)

It is too late for me..I cant go back and change my oral upbringing.

If I had known back then what I know now, I would have yelled right back at my teachers for yelling at me for "daydreaming". I would have told them "It is YOUR job to make sure I am 100% included in the class discussion NOT my job and u SURE are not making it easy by walking around the class while talking!!!"

I grew up Oral. I do not know sign language. Never went to a deaf or special school, I attended school with everyone else (hearies, that's wat u all call them right) since I was 3 years old. My hearing impairment was discoverd at the age of 3 also, I recieved hearing aids when I was 4 years old in the 1st grade.
It was difficult growing up around people different from yourself but somehow I managed. My mother never thought I was different or "disabled", she taught me that I am good as anyone else. I was on the top 10% of my class and did very well. That was a great contribution to my success.
But today I wish she was more open minded and that I had the opportunity to learn sign language and/or had connections with people like myself.
Living in today's society (esp Bahama World) is brutal for me. It's extremely difficult for me to get a job with all the discrimination.
P.S The Bahamas does not have a disabilty act or discriminatory laws...even if we did...it doesn't mean a thing.
I feel as tho if I knew ASL, I would have more options.

It is too late for me..I cant go back and change my oral upbringing.

If I had known back then what I know now, I would have yelled right back at my teachers for yelling at me for "daydreaming". I would have told them "It is YOUR job to make sure I am 100% included in the class discussion NOT my job and u SURE are not making it easy by walking around the class while talking!!!"
I know the feeling.

I was raised like that in some ways when I was going to school. It was worse with the interpreters. They weren't the kind of interpreters that we all see in colleges, they were the kind who had the same authority as teachers. They can even give us detention or write us up if they wanted.

Once, I was in class watching what the teacher was showing us from her overhead transparency. Since it was math class, I felt it was important to write it down. Suddenly, my interpreter reached and tried to wave in front of my face to get my attention. Unfortunately, there was a pencil (or pen) on the front edge and her hand hit it causing the pencil to fly over her shoulder... through the doorway... into the hallway. It also made a noise. When the teacher looked at the interpreter, the interpreter immediately pointed at me and said that I threw the pencil into the hallway. I was scolded for that and for being immature. Of course, being that she was my interpreter... she's more believable than a student like me. :(

So, junior high and high school was hell for me... mostly cuz of my interpreters. :(

Back