A Letter For An Interpreter (Personal)

Tousi said:
...Makes me wonder if, psychologically, because she wasn't getting paid, she relaxed a little too much, ethics-wise. If that's the case, the behavior's still wrong and gives you a glimpse into the kind of person she is. ....
Tousi, you are correct that, whether or not an interpreter is "paid", he/she is still obligated to perform in a professional manner while wearing the terp hat.

Gnarlydorkette, I'm so sorry that you had such an awful experience. :(

I fully support your right to send a complaint letter.

Most professional terps respect and support the Deaf community and culture, and we don't like to see disrespectful or unethical terps in our midst. We need assertive clients like you to keep us on our toes. Too often, lazy and unethical terps get away with their behaviors because no one complains.

You go, girl! :P

In the past I had no complains about my interpreters until last Monday. I had an interpreter for my doctor appointment.. this interpreter should not get her license for interpretering... I had to repeat the signs...She has no understanding about ASL.... She said that she graduated from Gallaudet..on interpreting... I asked her how long she had been interpreting for all patients.. she said about one year... I said No Wonder!!! and I even told her that she has no right to interpret for all patients..I had very serious case .. It was important to have good interpreter between me and my doctor...

I called her boss and told her that I DO NOT WANT THAT INTERPRETER TO INTERPRET FOR ME.. she should be fired!!! that interpreter has no experience with DEAF culture or community!!!
SxyPorkie :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

gnarlydorkette said:
This letter is not targeted for EVERY interpreter but rather to ONE SPECIFIC interpreter that worked for me in Turkey for my class.

I wish to disclose this draft I just typed up. THIS is the reason I am not SO ... willing to go on and on about my experiences in Turkey because this woman just ruined my entire trip by violating me numerous of times. I just tried to manage her and try to enjoy my trip, but overall I will say that if I have to FORGET about my interpters, that I DID enjoy my time in Turkey. But if you want to discuss about interpreters-- I will say HORRID. BAD. NEVER AGAIN. NOT HER. NOT ANYBODY *LIKE* HER!

Again, this is a DRAFT. This is an EXPRESSION. I didn't proofread or correct my grammar because I just want to take this off my chest. (It is 1:18am and my brain is racked about HER-- how to confront her, how to deal her, how to PREVENT her from interpretering for MORE Deaf people, how how how...). I need to stop thinking about her. I need your support. I need you to just LISTEN.
I want to know if I am correct to ask her employer to slap her straight...
I never felt so outraged like this. I am usually flexible with interpreters but, NEVER ANYBODY LIKE *HER*.

=======
To WHom it May Concerns

I wish to sound off my concerns about a certain interpreter that is certified and registered in your organization. I hope because you care about the Deaf Community that you, as an organization, can help to promote the interpreting standards by enforcing the very ethics and procedures to be conducted by your interpreters.

I "hired" [NAME] whom was volunteering her interpreter services for my class. She wasn't paid any salary for her hours but I paid for her flight, boarding and registration fees.

I was told that [NAME] was a good interpreter and I relied on fellow interpreters' words to confirm [NAME]'s services for my class.

However after several weeks of having her as my interpreter, I realized that she is a very poor asset for your organization and I wish to bring this to your attention. She failed as an interpreter for the Deaf community in many ways that I felt that violated the code of ethics that your organization holds to everybody.

The so-called violations that I felt she needed to be aware and be corrected by the organization were her lack of culture-sensivity. [NAME] was very limited in her awareness of Deafhood and acted very offensive towards the Deaf culture. I can sum up those violation in one event which took place in my class. I was having a friendly chat with [NAME] and another interpreter who was teaming up with [NAME] for the class. I was actively listening to the another interpreter and I happened to use my voice when I replied: "Oh yeah, that's right..." with my hand propping out. I looked over to [NAME] and the first thing she did was to prop up her hand to mimic me and she started to move her mouth as if she was a gopher eating-- to mock how I sound. I was paralyzed with shock at her immecpable action that I just dropped my jaws and stared at her. She proceed to sign to me: "Your voice sounds SO funny!" I frowned and just clammed up and turned my back toward to her. She tapped my shoulder and I looked back to her-- she said: "I just thought it sounds weird." I gave her a somber look and went "oh." and looked away.
How could an interpreter for Deaf mock a Deaf client's voice?
How could an interpreter forget what Deaf people have been through in America's history in academics where they are constantly bullied by the hearing peers, being constantly underestimated, being constantly undervalued by hearing peers...
How could an interpreter think it is funny for a Deaf client to make fun of their "Deaf" voice?

I could go on and on with many other ignorant actions taken by [NAME] in terms of Deafhood (making fun of my infrequent slips of using PSE signs) and narrow-minded to Deaf Culture (frequent jokes about my voice after I told her that I didn't appreciate it) but I feel that single event does sum up her attitude toward the Deaf community.

I strongly impose you to mandate [NAME] to take a workshop (mulitple-workshops!) and/or courses to enchance her knowledge which must improve her empathy for the Deaf community because all of those factors are vital for her job as American Sign Language interpreter. She cannot preform the job of an interpreter for Deaf if she doesn't understand the culture of the language she interprets for. I strongly impose you to educate her and correct her actions because you are her, among many other interpeters, role model to achieve the most ideal interpreter. Your organization is setting the standard for the Deaf people to interact with the hearing worlds which is an important bridge for Deaf people. Your organization cannot afford to be tainted with interpreters like [NAME]. Take actions with [NAME] or she will affect the large numbers of Deaf clients on your list due to her lack of understanding and empathy.
Please. Spare many Deaf people what I have went through with [NAME]. She does have potential as an interpreter but her ignorance will finish her off VERY SOON if no action is being taken.

I impose you, the organization as her mentor and role model, to take steps to help [NAME] to improve as an interpreter to ensure her continuing service to Deaf clientele.

Thank you.
A Traumizated Deaf Victim

I do not blame you at all..I would do same thing you did...every time i get lousy interpreter.. I raise HELL....
the interpreting agent.Know me very well.. she wont send me lousy interpreters,,, everyone here KNOW I would RAISE HELL..

From your video... I can see you using ASL very well.. I understood you...when i saw you signing on the video.. I told myself WOW.. YOU SIGN VERY WELL AND CLEAR
SxyPorkie

Man oh man. I have been interpreting for about 10 years and this really hits me hard. I have a deaf brother and a deaf wife, so this type of behavior that was perpetrated toward you is unexcusable. This goes beyond any code of ethics or interpreter behavior policy. This behavior is basically elementary school yard bully stuff. There was no way of knowing that this interpreter was capable of such an act before being assigned to you, so really there was nothing you could have done. We live in a life with all sorts of people and unfortunately in the interpreting profession there are a pelethra of unprofessional idiots. Hang in there. All I can say is if you come across skilled and ethical terps get there contact information and what agency they are affiliated with. Networking can be your friend. Good luck and peace.

:jaw: wow thats terrible.I cant belive that they had the nerve to mock you like that. You have every right to be frustrated

Back