A Hearing Aid thread for Sweetmind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloggy, Does in Norway have ASL feature?

Good question -- as a matter of fact we (son and wife with me and hubby on VP) -- we were wondering what sign language they use in Norway and Fragmenter explained something and then his wife said NSL?
Eagerly awaiting your answer, Cloggy!

Hi all,
Must have been quiet me not posting for some day's.
Friends and family over from Holland so it was BUSY and COSY!!

NSL... just another sign language. Someone signing in norwegian is not very likely to be understood by an American, or French signer. (Even though they might understand more than "hearing" people.)

Not sure what you mean by "feature". NSL is a recognised language in Norway.

Cloggy said:
Hi all,
Must have been quiet me not posting for some day's.
Friends and family over from Holland so it was BUSY and COSY!!

NSL... just another sign language. Someone signing in norwegian is not very likely to be understood by an American, or French signer. (Even though they might understand more than "hearing" people.)

Not sure what you mean by "feature". NSL is a recognised language in Norway.
Good to see you Cloggy!
Glad you got to spend some family/friend time!
Me too, not sure what "feature" -- I have a feeling that some posters don't realize you live in Norway. I've met an Asian (I forget which nation) woman signing in her native sign language -- it was very interesting. And I've seen BSL (British Sign Language) and it is actually very different from ASL.
Have a great weekend!
:cheers:

TrippLA said:
Yea... Health Insurance should cover the HAs because many old people are become hearing loss, due change in their age. They cannot afford new HAs or they using their money in retirement account, that's not good. I wish that FDA forces Health Insurance to cover it or would cost fines... Old people are not feel welcome to get CI because of risky from surgery.
there's even a 80 year old man had a surgery to get CI.

and HA is more affordable than CI are. and in fact HA is just a simple $1,000. there's many other methods for people who can't afford.. like the government healthcare for retirement or disablied people will cover it. lions club, and many to list.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
and HA is more affordable than CI are. and in fact HA is just a simple $1,000. ....
but then, some deaf/Hoh people can't hear with it.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
and in fact HA is just a simple $1,000. there's many other methods for people who can't afford...

You're right that HAs are more affordable, the whole insurance thingy notwithstanding. But ignoring the fact that HAs and CIs are not interchangeable ... a hearing aid isn't, "just a simple $1000". For some BTEs, you're talking several thousand dollars, plus maintenance, fitting, batteries, and accessories you may want/need (FM system, DAI cable, neck loop). And getting any or all of that covered - or even just getting the hearing aid covered - by some of the services you mentioned can be almost impossible, especially if you're not old.

neecy said:
Since she got so upset that CI's were brought up in her "Evidence of being deaf with HA" thread, I'm resurrecting it as a HA-only subject matter thread for her to discuss her perceptions of HA's.

See? I'm not a total bitch, even if I'm an "audie"

so - debate HA's to your heart's content. NO CI-related commentary.

No CI-related commentary? I just knew that line was so full of shit, because that's all you guys do is bring up Cochlear Implants in every discussion. Why aren't I so surprised, because I'm not. You, people argue along yourselves over the CI issue. The bickering makes it tough, that's what I've been reading in this thread and else where. I don't understand why all the bickering has to continued? What ever happened to agree to disagree without bringing one down or even naming a member?

Fragmenter said:
I bet your cats' meowing and purring gets on your nerves and makes you want to choke them.

Are you kidding me?! They are the most beautiful sound in the world. They are the sound of love to their owners. I don't see how it's annoying even feeling it. Since I have a CI, I have heard extra sounds that they make that aren't meows. It's so fascinating and the cutest sound. My mom and brother love the sounds they make. I don't know what you're talking about, but your HA must be that terribly bad to be able to say that. What actually bother me are kids yelling and screaming. That's terrible and annoying.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
there's even a 80 year old man had a surgery to get CI.

and HA is more affordable than CI are. and in fact HA is just a simple $1,000. there's many other methods for people who can't afford.. like the government healthcare for retirement or disablied people will cover it. lions club, and many to list.

Yes, but HA and CI are not the same thing. A HA and CI never compares. That's like saying VR only pays you to train you as a janitor but not a college education because it's cheaper for them.

ClearSky said:
Are you kidding me?! They are the most beautiful sound in the world. They are the sound of love to their owners. I don't see how it's annoying even feeling it. Since I have a CI, I have heard extra sounds that they make that aren't meows. It's so fascinating and the cutest sound. My mom and brother love the sounds they make. I don't know what you're talking about, but your HA must be that terribly bad to be able to say that. What actually bother me are kids yelling and screaming. That's terrible and annoying.

LOL but when the cat is constantly following you and badgering to be fed it does sound annoying! I could hear the sound of purring with my hearing aids and love that sound. It really relaxes you. When I lost my residual hearing suddenly I couldn't hear low and soft sounds like that any more. It will be interesting to see how cat purring sounds with a CI.

Oh come on, it's your responsibility to make sure the cat's bowl is full. It's not fair to let them be hungry because they're just an animal. Try to get a food dispenser (see if that helps reduce the problem), but make sure the cat doesn't get fat from it.

:topic:
ClearSky said:
Oh come on, it's your responsibility to make sure the cat's bowl is full. It's not fair to let them be hungry because they're just an animal. Try to get a food dispenser (see if that helps reduce the problem), but make sure the cat doesn't get fat from it.

i know its off topic.. but OMG.. i have to say this.. it doesnt annoy me when i hear the cats meow.. they are just simply communicating with me. I know if they are hungry, looking for attention, or just that they miss me? it is a music to my ears hearing them meow meow.. :) they do have different sounds .. as for purring... its a music that they are happy and content to their hearts.. its very low.. i can hear little but if i come closer to the cat i can hear purr then.. every nite tj's cat muffin2 always sleep on my chest.. he would purrr the night away.. :) sweet sounds, indeed!

as for kids yelling and screaming.. its VERY annoying.. YES! ugh! i simply just take my hearing aid off while kids are yelling.. lol.. give me bad headaches.. sigh..

some toys annoy me too.. lol.. :ugh3:

im sure with ci would be clear?? compare to ha.. difficult to hear like purring?? i dunno.. wait n see.. :)

ClearSky said:

I do but Rupert turns his nose up at the food I provide (hmmm I can't say I blame him when I look at that commercial cat food). He would rather eat fresh fish every day.

Yea yea I know it's off topic but this thread is waay off topic anyway so I don't think a cat post will hurt ;) Do you have a cat Sweetmind?

yep., people are getting bored... anyone got some action? I will jump in happily.. :)
somebody do something... :zzz:

Fuzzy

Cheri said:
No CI-related commentary? I just knew that line was so full of shit, because that's all you guys do is bring up Cochlear Implants in every discussion. Why aren't I so surprised, because I'm not. You, people argue along yourselves over the CI issue. The bickering makes it tough, that's what I've been reading in this thread and else where. I don't understand why all the bickering has to continued? What ever happened to agree to disagree without bringing one down or even naming a member?
:werd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back