A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
LuciaDisturbed - :ty: for the clarity to those AD'ers. I would have say something but I didn't feel I want to.

My son is severe to profound, and he can discriminate many words when he is spoken to. It doesn't have anything to do with dB levels.:cool2:

Audiologists are usually floored when they see my results, because I function more like someone with a moderate or mild hearing loss than someone with a severe to profound. Starting to 'fess up it's not easy to maintain that illusion though.

Audiologists are usually floored when they see my results, because I function more like someone with a moderate or mild hearing loss than someone with a severe to profound. Starting to 'fess up it's not easy to maintain that illusion though.

I can so relate to that.

I've seen the same in many cases. I think that particular poster is a little mistaken on discrimination and what it involves.

Happened to me too.

I look, act, and talk like a hearing person, so when I went to an audi for an eval once, first thing he said before the test was "I think your aid is way too powerful for you, you need something smaller, since you really are not that deaf".

After the test, he was shocked at how deaf I was.

Also, don't you all find it ironic that only a very, very small percentage of audiologists know sign language? They get annoyed at me when I ask them to repeat their mumblings......

Happened to me too.

I look, act, and talk like a hearing person, so when I went to an audi for an eval once, first thing he said before the test was "I think your aid is way too powerful for you, you need something smaller, since you really are not that deaf".

Also, don't you all find it ironic that only a very, very small percentage of audiologists know sign language? They get annoyed at me when I ask them to repeat their mumblings......

I know !!! :lol: I have learned that the majority of people the audis work with are the elderly and have age-related loss and they don't know sign, so the audis don't learn it either. I can't exactly fault them for that.

But I do wish they'd know sign for those who don't fall in that category. I strain to understand my audi just as much as I do any other person, and it feels like it shouldn't have to be that way .. Oh well ..

Happened to me too.

I have always found that to be ironic. Personally, I think ASL classes should be a part of their course requirements for the degree.

Yeah, you are right, most clients are the elderly.

I went in for my 2nd CI eval last week, and the audi was new at all this. She was LOUD, had a fixed expression, stared but did not blink, and was a bit hard to understand. Must have that Cecil County accent. Kept talking to me while I was looking the other way. I think it was nervous loudness...and she was caught off-guard by my technical questions. Instead of saying "I don't know", there were long pauses and some gibberish in between.

She made me listen to a recording with a gravely old man's voice. I told her it was too low, she said "just keep trying". :roll:

I miss the old audi...she had 24 years experience, knew signs, and knew her shit. Too bad hospital politics pushed her out....

Yeah, you are right, most clients are the elderly.

I went in for my 2nd CI eval last week, and the audi was new at all this. She was LOUD, had a fixed expression, stared but did not blink, and was a bit hard to understand. Must have that Cecil County accent. Kept talking to me while I was looking the other way. I think it was nervous loudness...and she was caught off-guard by my technical questions. Instead of saying "I don't know", there were long pauses and some gibberish in between.

She made me listen to a recording with a gravely old man's voice. I told her it was too low, she said "just keep trying". :roll:

I miss the old audi...she had 24 years experience, knew signs, and knew her shit. Too bad hospital politics pushed her out....

more bs to deal with, eh? Enjoying it?

I have always found that to be ironic. Personally, I think ASL classes should be a part of their course requirements for the degree.

+1

Why the hell aren't they required to know ASL? They should be!

Oh, let me guess... They want the deaf to fit in with mainstream society, so instead of making life easier for the deaf person by learning ASL, they medicalize it all and force the deaf to conform to the hearing standard! :roll:

+1

Why the hell aren't they required to know ASL? They should be!

Oh, let me guess... They want the deaf to fit in with mainstream society, so instead of making life easier for the deaf person by learning ASL, they medicalize it all and force the deaf to conform to the hearing standard! :roll:
Are you a spokesperson for the deaf?

Obviously not ALL deaf persons know/want -use ASL nor accept the view deafness is only a "cultural/bilingual" issue. As mentioned before-every person who considers a Cochlear Implant does the same thing in reality. If not -why get one!
Does the above seem to suggest the "In vs out" in Sociology?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back