A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, this is the most self-important post I have ever read :roll:

There could be an actual discussion about it. For example, Bott said that it would have to include never having experienced being deaf. I thought that was interesting point.

I don't see OB's post as an self-important one.

Now did you come up with that? Especially, when I fundamentally agree with what you've done for your daughter? Self important? No. But, I've been on this forum awhile and I know many on here who are happy being deaf and would never consider a cure should one come about. Just search thru the many threads we've had on stem cells and you'll see that a lot of people wouldn't even consider it.

I have to say I wouldn't undergo a stem cell transplant either for spina bifida. I wouldn't, because, I'm happy. The individual who is happy with being deaf wouldn't go searching for a cure, either.

You're looking at this from the perspective of bettering life for your daughter and that's admirable, but many on here have lived their entire lives deaf. Cures probably don't interest them!

That's fact, FJ. You can accept or not, but that's what I've observed. Read back over this thread from the beginning and you will see what I'm saying.

It's called acceptance which is a beautiful skill to develop

I totally agree!

You are self important because you think you know me or understand anything about me or my child or life.

I don't think I would choose a cure for my child, and I certainly am not seeking one out. I was attempting to have a philosophical conversation, which clearly failed.

:roll:

As a CIer, I don't think the quality of my CI and the sounds with the CI are horrendous. I enjoy music and environmental sounds greatly. Yes, sometimes there is an irritating sound sometimes (which I'm sure of course most hearing people have heard it too), but for the most part almost everything sounds great. If the sounds starts to deteriorate for me, all I have to do is make a little short trip to my CI clinic and have my MAP tweaked or get a whole new MAP. It is no big deal.

Have you been able to hear on a level of those hearing people can and compare it to a CI?

Have you been able to hear on a level of those hearing people can and compare it to a CI?

As a baby, yes. But then I caught Chicken Pox and lost most of my hearing. I retained some hearing until age 10 and then the hearing aids were useless. I was supposed to be implanted at age 11 but the deaf community where I grew up pushed my dad away from implanting me. I was angry about that and told my dad that I wanted the CI and he lied to me and said "can't afford it". Many years later I find out that it was the deaf community that pushed him away from implanting me and not because he couldn't afford it. He could afford it at the time. I told him that I wish he had me implanted at age 11 and I wish that he had ASKED ME!!! Because of that I lost many useful years that I could have had learning to listen and understand speech and learning to speak with the CI.

But as far as hearing with a CI, the sounds does NOT sound horrendous to me. I think the hearing aids I had when I was younger was much more worse-sounding than my CI ever was. My CI sounds way better than a hearing aid. But since I lost my hearing as a baby I cannot remember what it was like to have full hearing therefore I cannot compare it to a CI. I do remember having some useable hearing up to the age of maybe 8 and then it went downhill and then I was pretty much stone deaf, and that was when the audiologist brought up the CI. I really really really wish I had been implanted back then. I think I would have benefited a whole of a lot with those years I could have had from back then if I had the CI back then. I've only had my CI for four years and therefore I can hear and enjoy music,
TV, movies, detect different environmental sounds, and such things, but I still cannot understand speech without lipreading and I can hear voices but I still cannot listen to voices and understand them without lipreading. But I still feel I benefited greatly from the 4 years I've had the CI and I will continue to work on learning more sounds and working on finding a CI speech therapist to help me with my speech and listening.

All in all, I LOVE my CI!

As a baby, yes. But then I caught Chicken Pox and lost most of my hearing. I retained some hearing until age 10 and then the hearing aids were useless. I was supposed to be implanted at age 11 but the deaf community where I grew up pushed my dad away from implanting me. I was angry about that and told my dad that I wanted the CI and he lied to me and said "can't afford it". Many years later I find out that it was the deaf community that pushed him away from implanting me and not because he couldn't afford it. He could afford it at the time. I told him that I wish he had me implanted at age 11 and I wish that he had ASKED ME!!! Because of that I lost many useful years that I could have had learning to listen and understand speech and learning to speak with the CI.

But as far as hearing with a CI, the sounds does NOT sound horrendous to me. I think the hearing aids I had when I was younger was much more worse-sounding than my CI ever was. My CI sounds way better than a hearing aid. But since I lost my hearing as a baby I cannot remember what it was like to have full hearing therefore I cannot compare it to a CI. I do remember having some useable hearing up to the age of maybe 8 and then it went downhill and then I was pretty much stone deaf, and that was when the audiologist brought up the CI. I really really really wish I had been implanted back then. I think I would have benefited a whole of a lot with those years I could have had from back then if I had the CI back then. I've only had my CI for four years and therefore I can hear and enjoy music,
TV, movies, detect different environmental sounds, and such things, but I still cannot understand speech without lipreading and I can hear voices but I still cannot listen to voices and understand them without lipreading. But I still feel I benefited greatly from the 4 years I've had the CI and I will continue to work on learning more sounds and working on finding a CI speech therapist to help me with my speech and listening.

All in all, I LOVE my CI!

when I heard.... I could decipher words from speech... it was that, crystal clear.

So what I am saying.. if you were given the choice of a CI and perfect hearing... and go back and forth.. nobody would touch the CI. it's that bad.

:)

when I heard.... I could decipher words from speech... it was that, crystal clear.

So what I am saying.. if you were given the choice of a CI and perfect hearing... and go back and forth.. nobody would touch the CI. it's that bad.

:)

NO ONE is being given that choice.

The choice: To be d/Deaf; To have apparatus such as HAs or CIs; or to be cured if there ever is a cure.

That's very different from PFH's 2 choices: "perfect hearing" vs. CI.

PFH's 2 choices: "cure" vs CI. (Correct me if I'm wrong PFH :) )

.. if you were given the choice of a CI and perfect hearing... and go back and forth.. nobody would touch the CI.

1. Adding in remaining deaf as an option and 2. defining cure as "perfect hearing" each add a couple of different dimensions to the choice PFH offers.

NO ONE is being given that choice.

The choice: To be d/Deaf; To have apparatus such as HAs or CIs; or to be cured if there ever is a cure.

That's very different from PFH's 2 choices: "perfect hearing" vs. CI.

PFH's 2 choices: "cure" vs CI. (Correct me if I'm wrong PFH :) )

1. Adding in remaining deaf as an option and 2. defining cure as "perfect hearing" each add a couple of different dimensions to the choice PFH offers.

This thread is about Cure, right? So yeah.. I would prefer to take perfect hearing over any equipment.. That is what I am saying.

So in order to have a cure, one would have to have his hearing totally restored.

The experiences in this very thread alone is sufficient to prove it. The testimonies in other threads just compounds it. The constant remapping, the hearing this and not that, the missing spots, you hear everything as one, not multiple sounds, etcetc.

We have a long way to go.

I disagree with the bolded. My daughter was born hearing and had hearing aids for 4 years. She could not understand speech with her damaged hairs cells (yes her's were damaged) plus the amplification of the hearing aid. But, the same day she was activated she began to be able to hear and understand, including having speech understanding.

She may have heard, but I doubt seriously that she understood. Understanding what you hear is a learning process, and if she had not been able to understand prior, she did not magically gain understanding through activation.

I saw a study that showed that early implants do change it back. I read that the brain scans of kids who were implanted young are the same as hearing kids, not deaf unimplanted kids. I'll look around for it.

Actually, on an MRI, the activation of the brain is the same no matter how it has been stimulated. The visual processing in kids takes over the aditory centers. Just because the area indicates stimulation does not necessarily mean that the stimulation is from auditory stimulus. It could be from visual stimulus, or a combination of the two.

This thread is about Cure, right? So yeah.. I would prefer to take perfect hearing over any equipment.. That is what I am saying.

So in order to have a cure, one would have to have his hearing totally restored.

The experiences in this very thread alone is sufficient to prove it. The testimonies in other threads just compounds it. The constant remapping, the hearing this and not that, the missing spots, you hear everything as one, not multiple sounds, etcetc.

We have a long way to go.

PFH, so I did read you right. I'm glad. :D That was what I was saying that you said. Glad you clarified it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back