A/C-air condition, something smell.

yagazn

Reaction score
A friend of mine drive a car and her A/C condition smelled like a piss. why that smell piss on her A/C?, we thought it was a cat piss. (she has no pets).
Why is that? Is something wrong with A/C?. Anyone knows or experience with A/C before?. It never happened to her before, first time.

Ah...what model & year ur friend drive? ....I know what y'all talked about but there got few diagnoses for this problem.
1.If Honda or Kia and Nissian,... they have "cabin filter" that run through the A/C vents
under dashboards.. if these filter become moist or dirty that for sure will smell em up. OR
2, other cars than that may be old ferons running through A/C you may need to have A/C serviced as recycling freons and recharge A/C they should at least to be serviced after three summer usage OR
3, sometime when u didn't use A/C during cold weather for long while soon when warm weather comes u started to use A/C up they would smell for while then they would clear the smell up but remember the A/C system may need be serviced once every other 2 or 3 summers of usage...
Hope it's helps....

Last edited:
A friend of mine drive a car and her A/C condition smelled like a piss. why that smell piss on her A/C?, we thought it was a cat piss. (she has no pets).
Why is that? Is something wrong with A/C?. Anyone knows or experience with A/C before?. It never happened to her before, first time.

I would immediately think of antifreeze and if that is so, then there's a problem with the radiator or one or more of it's hoses.

It could be anything.

If it was clogged up, there could be old water that's starting to stink up.

If it was not used for a long time, and you suddenly decided to use it... that's probably mildew or old dust that built up somewhere in there.

You could probably have a leak somewhere else under the hood and it's affecting the air circulation that comes from the fan.

Something probably got sucked up in there and got stuck. (Once, a plastic bag got sucked up in my mom's old van. We ended up with smell of burning plastic for several weeks.)

Have you taken it someplace to have it looked at?

It could be anything.

If it was clogged up, there could be old water that's starting to stink up.

If it was not used for a long time, and you suddenly decided to use it... that's probably mildew or old dust that built up somewhere in there.

You could probably have a leak somewhere else under the hood and it's affecting the air circulation that comes from the fan.

Something probably got sucked up in there and got stuck. (Once, a plastic bag got sucked up in my mom's old van. We ended up with smell of burning plastic for several weeks.)

Have you taken it someplace to have it looked at?

Hey Vamp,

I did asked my partner's friend about her A/C.

He explained almost exactly what u wrote on this post.
Thanks!.

aah! It could be a mice in the vent making a nest.

Last year, I found some curled insulations on the floor close to the vent. My truck sat on the driveway for one week near the bushes. I cleaned out the insulations. Then, I discovered that a small piece of missing insulation cover on the A/C cylinder near the motor. I cannot figure it out how the mice got in the vent.

Yeah... but wondered if still smell even not using A/C huh ... I thought you was meant that it smells when turn A/C on ... well ... it can be anything ... I remembered about 20 years ago I went to one of my good friend's wedding, my buddy put sadines under the hood soon after the wedding they hit the road for honeymoon trip which is about 180 miles away they started smell up at about halfway down there... the groom found the sadines under the hood they went to car wash and washed em off but still smell for while... I thought so funny but they took that serious and so pissed off on my buddy haha about two years later this buddy's turn to get married and they evenually paid him back I smell that it were really strink!

Yeah... but wondered if still smell even not using A/C huh ... I thought you was meant that it smells when turn A/C on ... well ... it can be anything ... I remembered about 20 years ago I went to one of my good friend's wedding, my buddy put sadines under the hood soon after the wedding they hit the road for honeymoon trip which is about 180 miles away they started smell up at about halfway down there... the groom found the sadines under the hood they went to car wash and washed em off but still smell for while... I thought so funny but they took that serious and so pissed off on my buddy haha about two years later this buddy's turn to get married and they evenually paid him back I smell that it were really strink!

You mean sardines? Oh brother! You must be thinking of a dead body in the car. aaahh! Does the smell go away permanently?

You mean sardines? Oh brother! You must be thinking of a dead body in the car. aaahh! Does the smell go away permanently?

Yes..your right.. sorry...my bad spelling! that's SARDINES!....the smell went on for few weeks but fading away that why they were so pissed off

Back