A billion is a difficult number to comprehend . . .

however i still like to know how Levonian reached to those sums. Even in this interesting math link redfox provided has mention numerous times that was of looking for and uderstanding errors so thus different ways of reaching a mathematical conclusion.
sorry for pestering but i just can't help it, it just begs for more clarity

Yeah, basically what Redfox said. I don't have time right now to walk you through all of them, but I'll do the first one:

There are 3600 seconds in an hour, 24 hours in a day, and 365 days in a year. So 1 year = (3600*24*365) seconds.

1,000,000,000/(3600*24*365) = 31.71

Or you can simply google "How many seconds are there in 1 year?". Then use that number for the rest of your calculations (IE what is the difference from 2008 and the year of Jesus' death?) Keep in mind however that there is a 3 year margin of error for the year of Jesus' birth year and year of death since various counts recall three different dates based on the account of events such as King Herod's deliberate genocide of infant boys of Jewish descent and the cosmic event of the bright star in the sky that appeared over Bethlehem as well as the arrival of the three wisemen from afar (research points that these three wisemen may have been from Persia, quite a walk from where Jesus' was born!)

Senator Landrieu asked for the 250 billion in October 2005. New Orleans has yet to see the bulk of the money. So, if 250 billion hasn't reached New Orleans, where is it?

For the e-mail to say that taxes changed the idyllic "Mom stays at home", "U.S. is the most prosperous", and "no national debt" (which is an outright lie, obviously) is ignorant.

Our national debt is spiralling out of control and the current White House administration's answer was to provide tax cuts, more tax cuts, and further tax cuts. Doesn't seem like a sound strategy to me.

By the way, taxes had nothing do with the "diversity classes" nor pressing "1" for English (I've not experienced that. I'm usually told to press "1" for Spanish.).

What the heck happened? The United States is evolving. You share this country with 350 other Americans and your definition of "American" is very different from many others'.

You said Woka, Sen. Landrieu asked for it, so he probably kept it in his back pocket. :lol:

Let's face it our government from the white house down to the local aldermen is corrupt. There is always someone along the line that has wheeled and dealed their way into a certain position and stomped on the backs of others to get it.

Due to this corruption, the rich keep getting richer (remember that Bush provided the majority of the tax breaks for the wealthy), and the poor keep getting poorer (some new taxes that were introduced were targeted to the working class and small business owners).

Pressing "1" for Spanish has nothing to do with these taxes, most businesses and companies do this is a courtesy for their foreign-born customers. A company is willing to make a sale no matter what language the customer speaks.

We're headed for an economic depression and we need to be grabbing our asses and making plans for the worst and hoping for the best.

What we need is a billion Americans to stand up for what is right for this country, after all aren't we a nation by the people for the people?

I get 31.7098 years for a billion seconds. A billion seconds ago was in approximately February of 1977.

You have point but you're wrong.

From what I see, it been post from September 8th, 1990 on Saturday at 7:26:39 PM which make sense that sentence - "A billion seconds ago it was 1959." That when it been post and pick up among in other weird tale.

Of course, I don't know if Internet in public exist but probably chain letter or something. ha!

Yeah, basically what Redfox said. I don't have time right now to walk you through all of them, but I'll do the first one:

There are 3600 seconds in an hour, 24 hours in a day, and 365 days in a year. So 1 year = (3600*24*365) seconds.

1,000,000,000/(3600*24*365) = 31.71

You need to use 365.25 because there are different day on Feburary every 4 years

Back