A 5.9 Earthquake hits Va; felt all the way up in New York

Wow, that's amazing.

I'm trying to get in touch with our VA neighbors now to check on that house.

Many of the old and history buildings in Baltimore Inner Harbor suffered major structural damage today. It was a miracle that nobody got hurt.

According to a renowned geologist...we were all VERY lucky that this earthquake was short. He said if it had lasted for another 5 seconds, most likely serious serious damage and injuries would have ocurred since it was very strong for this side of the country.

i'm glad too!

shel, oh gosh, baltimore habor inner. I used to go there a lot when I lived in DC . im sorry to hear that your poor boy. hope he will feel better and adjust well the next day. That is scary. In syracuse its low shakes, some dont feel some people feel it. I felt it like last year. :shock: My kids were in the movie theater at the time and they thought some people stomps behind them. Guess they got mixed up between movie and reality. eh.

It is fortunate this earthquake didn't last long, since one on solid bedrock does humongous damage. Don't be surprised if there are more soon.

Thanks for making me feel better, beowulf!

Last edited:
Many of the old and history buildings in Baltimore Inner Harbor suffered major structural damage today. It was a miracle that nobody got hurt.

According to a renowned geologist...we were all VERY lucky that this earthquake was short. He said if it had lasted for another 5 seconds, most likely serious serious damage and injuries would have ocurred since it was very strong for this side of the country.

Yup, many buildings in east coast aren't designed to be safe for earthquake, unlike other states, especially CA has strict regulation on building to be safe with earthquake.

Apparently one of the nuclear power plants that was shut down following the earthquake was designed only to withstand an earthquake up to a scale of 6.2, the earthquake was 5.8. Get this, the nuclear power plant was built on a fault line.

After what happened in Japan, people need to re-think the safety of nuclear power plants.

Apparently one of the nuclear power plants that was shut down following the earthquake was designed only to withstand an earthquake up to a scale of 6.2, the earthquake was 5.8. Get this, the nuclear power plant was built on a fault line.

After what happened in Japan, people need to re-think the safety of nuclear power plants.

One flaw, wasn't the plant built before the earthquake in Japan??

One flaw, wasn't the plant built before the earthquake in Japan??

How is it a flaw? Frankly, I've never been a supporter of nuclear power plants because there's always the risk of a nuclear meltdown. People do not realize how dangerous these power plants are, but again, money talks.

Once a nuclear meltdown occurs, people in the area are royally screwed.

When was the power plant on east coast built?

When did the earthquake in Japan happened?

Which was done first?

Have they built a new one since earthquake in Japan??

When was the power plant on east coast built?

When did the earthquake in Japan happened?

Which was done first?

Have they built a new one since earthquake in Japan??

Um, I think you missed the point. Besides, there are people who have been quite vocal about the safety of nuclear power plants for years. They just weren't listened to, nor taken seriously. To re-clarify, I said that people need to re-think the safety of nuclear power plants. Right now, Fukushima is determined to be uninhabitable for decades to come. People lost their homes because of the radiation. People obviously have forgotten the Chernobyl disaster as well.

Dominion spokesman Jim Norvelle said the plant was designed to withstand an earthquake of up to 6.2 in magnitude.

Quake raises safety concerns as nuclear plant shut | Reuters

If people doubt that such a thing would happen in the ol' good America, think again. Anything can happen and the worst part is, it's 100% preventable.

Guess I did miss the point.. It is late here for me after all and I should be in bed.

Was it the quake hitting DC today or was it just Obama hitting rock bottom on his polls or was it caused by one of the senators who accidentally dropped the health care bill ? :lol:

I didn't feel a thing and I'm pretty close to DC. *sighs* I feel like I missed out on a lot. Never been in an earthquake before..

My sister lives 5 miles away from the epicenter. She was driving when it happened and her car basically bounced off the road.

:lol:
My older brother works in downtown DC and didnt feel anything. He was in his vehicle and did saw water waving high.

Was it the quake hitting DC today or was it just Obama hitting rock bottom on his polls or was it caused by one of the senators who accidentally dropped the health care bill ? :lol:

Obama was on golf course when it happened and he didnt feel anything.

Americans have already started re-thinking their safety protocols in the light of Fukushima disaster since Fukushima power plants and American power plants were designed by GM

Just had a 3.9 earthquake here. I giggled because I'm not wearing a bra and now I'm wondering if I should put one on just in case the aforementioned "big one" hits tonight. When the famous 1880 earthquake happened here in San Fran, people dressed up in their Sunday best and wandered round the streets. The least I can do is wear a bra, no? ;)

And for your viewing pleasure. For shits and giggles, I give you: Roundup: The Funniest Pics Related to the East Coast Earthquake |

Back