A 5.9 Earthquake hits Va; felt all the way up in New York

WOW!! They have their hands full.. with worrying about the Hurricane, and now this. Amazing how mother nature acts.

I thought a truck was rumbling past... then 2 sec later the whole building started bouncing up and down. Freaky feeling but no damage.

I felt our house here in the Outer Banks shake around 2:00. I assumed it was a heavy truck on the near-by highway, but now I'm wondering if that was the earthquake! House is built on stilts, so it will shake and sway a bit in high winds - and in an earthquake.

So that's what it was!!!! I'm home today and I have my hearing aids off. I thought maybe they were doing construction.

It was quite strong, the table shook and so did my closet door. I happened to be practicing my sign and there's a mirror on the outside of my closet door. The door was open at the time so I could see myself in the mirror better.

ETA: Was anybody elses' pets jumpy earlier today? One of my cats was acting very hyper for at least an hour before the quake. I could not figure out what was going on with her. Last time she acted like that she was a kitten. She's back to her usual self now.

I felt our house here in the Outer Banks shake around 2:00. I assumed it was a heavy truck on the near-by highway, but now I'm wondering if that was the earthquake! House is built on stilts, so it will shake and sway a bit in high winds - and in an earthquake.

It was felt in NC (my neice posted on FB - she lives in Charlotte). I'm sure what you felt was the earthquake.

A lot of people here felt it, but I didn't. I was in the basement when it happened.

WOW!! They have their hands full.. with worrying about the Hurricane, and now this. Amazing how mother nature acts.

I was thinking the same thing!

My grandmother felt the quake, and, she's pretty freaked out about it. She lives in MD.

Yeah, well we get them a lot less often than you do and not as severe. :lol:

I have moved here in San Francisco from Washington, DC a year and six months ago and I have not felt anything here since.

The fire department in Boston ,Ma are trying to see if any building got damages . I was channel surfing and heard something about the White House
evacuating and thought we we attacked again!

I have moved here in San Francisco from Washington, DC a year and six months ago and I have not felt anything here since.

When I lived in Berkley we had a couple of earthquakes. I was home one time and I could see my wooden floor rolling and a small table was shaking! I wall got a crack too! The worst part was not being with my daughter,she was in school.

The fire department in Boston ,Ma are trying to see if any building got damages . I was channel surfing and heard something about the White House
evacuating and thought we we attacked again!

Yes, a lot of DC buildings were evacuated. I've not heard of any damage yet though. Everyone should have been let back into the buildings by now though.

well well well, now that we're all on the same page and it's not just california now.
Welcome to the earthquake club, eastern kinsfolk. :)

Back