3 year old with cochears

Status
Not open for further replies.
What gray area are you referring to?

If a child cries and resists wearing a HA or CI for months, does the parent have the right to insist on continuing it?

First and foremost you must be sure that nothing else is going on with the device. If you have done that, just keep putting it on. Use rewards, stickers, charts, games, etc.

What is too far? Anything that includes physical or emotional coercion.

Isnt rewarding emotional coercion?

Alright... Are you sure there isnt another reason for that? What is the underlying issue?

When I have my daughter and any issues appear - I find out the source issue and we're merry. Matter of a fact - I can only remember a VERY few times that my daughter was "SCREAMING and crying." Very few. It almost never happens.
It pains me to hear about another kids screaming and crying.

She hated shoes. She still does. We compromise in the summer and she wears flip flops, but she knows that she has to wear shoes when we go out. Compromise is the key.

If a child cries and resists wearing a HA or CI for months, does the parent have the right to insist on continuing it?

That was what I was implying - where is the line?

Crying and resisting for months obviously shows the CI is not in the best interests of the child.

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Beowulf said:
All right, I'll bite. Are you implying that she is fervently against anything you do since you made her wear a CI? If so, that ought to tell you something.

No, I mean when she was 2. She hated shoes, so I should have just let her go barefoot? No, parents need to be parents and make sure their child wears shoes.

Why not. I do sometimes? (I am a barefooted gal) But it will hurt my feetif I don't wear shoes. But really. I never had to fight my son over these things. he knows his feet would hurt if he doesn't wear shoes so he never fought me over it.. I just take him outside and ask him if his feet hurt if so Here put on these shoes.

Last edited:
No, the choice is still their's. It isn't "I won't love you if you don't", they have to want the reward for it to work.

I've seen too many parents who pull that card with their kids. Even the ones who don't want to wear the CI's..

So, tell me, if your kid is 13 and tells you they refuse to wear the CI's and refuse to work with the oral side of their education - what will you do?

The point is that removing a sock and taking off an HA does not necessarily indicate pain! It's what toddlers do.

And yes, that's what we have been saying from the start: she must find out if the map is wrong and causing discomfort! Doing so is not child abuse.

I have not ever uttered child abuse.

And finding out if there's a problem with a CI that's causing it to hurt (as you said) is exactly what I've been saying but this keeps getting argued and compared to socks and shoes.

I'm done here. So very ridiculous.

I've seen too many parents who pull that card with their kids. Even the ones who don't want to wear the CI's..

So, tell me, if your kid is 13 and tells you they refuse to wear the CI's and refuse to work with the oral side of their education - what will you do?

At 13, they would be fully involved in that decision, but not at 3.

If the child goes for a period of time without the CI....say a week, the MAP is no longer appropriate. They have to go back to the audiologist, reset the MAP, probably have to get several MAPs and slowly have to work back up to the optimum MAP. That could take weeks, and then the child is missing out on weeks worth of input and language, not to mention having to readjust to hearing again, wearing the device again, and all of that. What good does that do?

And this child was not breaking his device, just taking it off. And yes, people were saying that if he was taking it off, that means he hates it and he should be allowed to never wear it again.

Aha. Just if we relied on ASL.. There will be no "weeks of delay"... Comical argument.

Wirelessly posted

Why not. I do sometimes? (I am a barefooted gal) But it will hurt my feetif I don't wear shoes. But really. I never had to fight my son over these things. he knows his feet would hurt if he doesn't wear shoes so he never fought me over it.

Because 6 months out of the year there is snow on the ground.

I have not ever uttered child abuse.

And finding out if there's a problem with a CI that's causing it to hurt (as you said) is exactly what I've been saying but this keeps getting argued and compared to socks and shoes.

I'm done here. So very ridiculous.

Why? If you know it doesn't hurt, how is it different form anything else a child might decide they don't want to wear?

So you're saying you're perfectly fine with all kinds of treatment into making the child wear the CI for months at end at 3?

No, in fact, I specifically told you that there were good ways and inappropriate ways to deal with it.

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Wirelessly posted

Why not. I do sometimes? (I am a barefooted gal) But it will hurt my feetif I don't wear shoes. But really. I never had to fight my son over these things. he knows his feet would hurt if he doesn't wear shoes so he never fought me over it.

Believe me...a child would want shoes!

Dont give me that. I was a kid once, and back in the country - i was always barefooted. I still go barefeet these days. I wear sandals that don't latch even right now.

I always got stickers in my feet, have almost chopped my big toe off from striking it with a shovel, etc. My feet is fine right now.

The last big snow, I walked about 2 miles in the snow with the above said sandals.

To be frank, its been proven that barefeet is better than socks/shoes in the snow. Socks and shoes constrict blood flow.

No, in fact, I specifically told you that there were good ways and inappropriate ways to deal with it.

Okay, and wheres the line?Even after right mapping, right rewarding programs,, etc and the kid still rejects.. WHAT DO YOU DO?

I weep for unhappy CI kids everywhere. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back