2 Year Old Cooper Hear's Mommy's Voice First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
To expand a bit further on this point, those children who were not implanted and got one as an older adolescent/adult are at a disadvantage. Those deaf children may grow up and be upset that their parents didn't make that choice for them.

Children who are implanted at younger ages (I'm not talking infant), have brains that are still forming which allows them to make meaningful connections to the sounds and language surrounding them. For an adult or older adolescent, their brain has already been established, and it takes a lot more work and effort to make meaningful sense of the sounds and language in their environment.

So, there really is no one "right" answer for every single deaf person in this world as evidenced by the differing views here from those in the d/Deaf community.

I support infant implantation when it's completely obvious that HAs do NOT help at ALL! BUT, I ALSO strongly feel that the panic on getting a kid implanted ASAP is almost......medical driven. The medical industry acts like if you don't implant at the VERY SECOND of dx, your kid will be doomed to selling ABC cards in the inner city. They act like implantation around 2 years old is "OH NO! They'll be delayed ALL THEIR LIVES!!!!" They also seem to be all "oh yeah all severe/profound kids can be implanted." Whatever happened to everyone's hearing loss is different and responds differently to different things?

where?

feel free to join a forum more to your liking.

good. then stop crying wolf and acting like Zimmerman. Sit down until you have of something value to contribute. it's time you let the mods do their job, not you.

I am contributing. I'm supporting parents right to make difficult choices as they see fit.

That's between her and her parents.

which is why they should've waited a little bit later to have her understand what it is, and involve her in the decision making process... Honestly, I don't care if the child is 8 or 7 years old, If they are fully aware of what it is, and what the process is, then they should be involved. Deaf children with hearing parents will be grateful for what their parents have done for them, whether its getting a CI, a hearing aid, or just exposing them to the deaf world, they will be appreciative.

It just hurts me to see a parents immediately going ahead, implanting their baby or their toddler as soon as they find out their child is deaf. I mean, there is nothing wrong with them, We can do anything, we just can't hear. And I don't know if they can accept that or not. Because we will never know if they love going down plan "A" path-- no hearing devices, Plan "B"--hearing aids, or plan "C"--cochlear implants. Doesn't anybody have a clue what these kids might be feeling? Have you asked your child if they really liked their CIs? My parents were always worried I wouldn't like my CI because of the criticism of CI that people today are talking about. I tell my parents that I'm appreciative of them, And that I wish i was able to stay on my hearing aids longer. But I had 2 choices, I could've just stayed plain deaf.. Or i could get the cochlear implant. IF their child isn't wearing their CI, everyday, every month, every year; then its a waste of their money. This is part of the reason why I believe that they should have involve their child in the process decision making of the possibilities of getting a cochlear implant.

Look at it this way in a different perspective... Say, you're a model, and your boss immediately wants you to get plastic surgery to get a better presentation to yourself out in the public, to get recognized, You want to talk to your boss about this, but he does not want to hear it and you're being ignored. You have two choices, To get plastic surgery to follow your boss's wish, or get fired. the job pays well too.. this is a hard decision, what would you choose?-- this may be off topic, but still, This is kind of what i'm trying to point out with a child VS a parents implanting their child.

I don't feel that making a generalization that parents "panic" is an accurate description. Sure, they might be scared because they don't have the information to feel confident that their child will be okay in the long run, but once they seek out that information it's a whole different ball game. Maybe some parents "panic", but I'd say most are just a bit fearful and unsure until they educate themselves.

As to the bolded above, exactly. Your parents sought out information from and about the d/Deaf community. Once they were able to educate themselves about it, I'm sure they felt a sense of empowerment and peace.

The same goes for all parents of children who are DHH. When parents take the time to educate themselves, they are more confident and in a better position to meet the needs of their child and make the appropriate choices on behalf of their child. Whether that be the use of HA's, CI's, sign language, type of educational environment, support, services etc..

Not panic per se.......but honestly it does seem like a lot of parents are still grieving about having a drasticly different kid. They're still grieving the "loss of normal", and seem to make their decisions based on how they think will make their kid have a "normal" life. They're taught to see the hearing world as the Best Thing In the World (meaning the Most Normal) ASL and Deaf culture is an afterthought.

Not panic per se.......but honestly it does seem like a lot of parents are still grieving about having a drasticly different kid. They're still grieving the "loss of normal", and seem to make their decisions based on how they think will make their kid have a "normal" life. They're taught to see the hearing world as the Best Thing In the World (meaning the Most Normal) ASL and Deaf culture is an afterthought.

There's no such thing as normal... Besides, normal is overrated, and who wants to be normal anyways? Being normal is boring. I know i wouldn't want to be. Theres something unique about every person in the world, whether they're deaf, blind, a singer, actor, a comedian, etc. People should accept the fact that there may or may not be something wrong with their kid.

I thought his post was very crystal-clear. It basically answers your question. There's a difference between "sharing their stories" and "asserting superiority over their opinions"

I asked the mod

Would you have wanted this done for you, if the technology had existed?

Hearing aid was sufficient for my hearing loss. Cochlear implants are for those who cannot get any or much benefit out of using hearing aids.

which is why they should've waited a little bit later to have her understand what it is, and involve her in the decision making process... Honestly, I don't care if the child is 8 or 7 years old, If they are fully aware of what it is, and what the process is, then they should be involved. Deaf children with hearing parents will be grateful for what their parents have done for them, whether its getting a CI, a hearing aid, or just exposing them to the deaf world, they will be appreciative.

It just hurts me to see a parents immediately going ahead, implanting their baby or their toddler as soon as they find out their child is deaf. I mean, there is nothing wrong with them, We can do anything, we just can't hear. And I don't know if they can accept that or not. Because we will never know if they love going down plan "A" path-- no hearing devices, Plan "B"--hearing aids, or plan "C"--cochlear implants. Doesn't anybody have a clue what these kids might be feeling? Have you asked your child if they really liked their CIs? My parents were always worried I wouldn't like my CI because of the criticism of CI that people today are talking about. I tell my parents that I'm appreciative of them, And that I wish i was able to stay on my hearing aids longer. But I had 2 choices, I could've just stayed plain deaf.. Or i could get the cochlear implant. IF their child isn't wearing their CI, everyday, every month, every year; then its a waste of their money. This is part of the reason why I believe that they should have involve their child in the process decision making of the possibilities of getting a cochlear implant.

Look at it this way in a different perspective... Say, you're a model, and your boss immediately wants you to get plastic surgery to get a better presentation to yourself out in the public, to get recognized, You want to talk to your boss about this, but he does not want to hear it and you're being ignored. You have two choices, To get plastic surgery to follow your boss's wish, or get fired. the job pays well too.. this is a hard decision, what would you choose?-- this may be off topic, but still, This is kind of what i'm trying to point out with a child VS a parents implanting their child.

I don't dictate to parents on what they must do. If they make an informed decision, I'm fine with it. I support their decision.

I don't dictate to parents on what they must do. If they make an informed decision, I'm fine with it. I support their decision.

i don't either, but i'm just simply saying that they should involve their child in this.

I found this video of an example of what I keep telling people that they will have to deal with their child's wrath of getting a cochlear implant. This is why parents must involve their child in the decision making process..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJGccnmSjYQ]Missoula Moanings - YouTube[/ame]

I found this video of an example of what I keep telling people that they will have to deal with their child's wrath of getting a cochlear implant. This is why parents must involve their child in the decision making process..

Missoula Moanings - YouTube

Again, a child 1, 2, or 3 years old are unable to make an informed decision which is why parents do their best by making an informed decision. The case you showed is a sad one because it involves a custody battle. Beyond that we don't know much about the current situation.

Here's also another video about the reason why this girl named Emma does not want to wear CIs

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XE2eK9WHr8]INTERVIEW WITH SHAUN ABOUT CI WITH CAPTION - YouTube[/ame]

Again, a child 1, 2, or 3 years old are unable to make an informed decision which is why parents do their best by making an informed decision. The case you showed is a sad one because it involves a custody battle. Beyond that we don't know much about the current situation.

she is 5 1/2 in this video.

She got her first one at age 1.

That video clearly displays one particular example of a young child not wanting to wear CI's and the caretaker is obviously trying to get her to put them on.

Why are you deliberately being argumentative against someone who is showing firsthand experience in the matter of CI and young kids? Can you not accept her opinion?
Since when did coolgirlspyer90's opinion matter less than her parent's decision even if they believed they were 'better informed' than her?

Are you saying a well informed parent of a deaf child is less welcome to share their stories than deaf members. Are they not allowed to share or defend their choices? Not arguing here....just asking for a rules clarification. Thx.
They can share stories. We have a section here for them on the forum.

If they are found continually causing a ruckus with the members on this site, depending on the context of the argument and how severe the trolling is, it could be construed directly as a violation.

There isn't anything new in what I'm telling you, we mods have continued to made decisions on bannings when they have been seen as over the line. We will make that decision, not the members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back