17 and hoh

deafiedonnie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Donnie and I've been hard of hearing my whole life. I'm learning sign slowly but next year I'll be put it an ASL class at the college so I will be learning much faster. I've failed every single hearing test since birth and I've been in dire need of hearing aids but my family hasn't been able to afford them. I joined this forum because I want to be more immersed in the deaf and hoh community. Thank you for reading!

Hi, I'm Donnie and I've been hard of hearing my whole life. I'm learning sign slowly but next year I'll be put it an ASL class at the college so I will be learning much faster. I've failed every single hearing test since birth and I've been in dire need of hearing aids but my family hasn't been able to afford them. I joined this forum because I want to be more immersed in the deaf and hoh community. Thank you for reading!
No hearing aids?!?!? Oh are you more on the mild spectrum and could "get by" without them? https://www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org/ Second of all, where in Texas are you? You COULD either attend a Regional Day School for the Deaf, where you could learn ASL by immersian, or transfer to TSD in Austin. You can transfer pretty much almost immediatly, as they accept transfers throughout the school year. They are also VERY HOH friendly. I know of at least three HOH kids who have attended in recent years. http://www.tsd.state.tx.us/ Look into it! It might be a fun experience!!!!!

If you need HA's and can't afford them contact either Lions Club, Starkey or CHAT in the state of TX.

No hearing aids?!?!? Oh are you more on the mild spectrum and could "get by" without them? https://www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org/ Second of all, where in Texas are you? You COULD either attend a Regional Day School for the Deaf, where you could learn ASL by immersian, or transfer to TSD in Austin. You can transfer pretty much almost immediatly, as they accept transfers throughout the school year. They are also VERY HOH friendly. I know of at least three HOH kids who have attended in recent years. http://www.tsd.state.tx.us/ Look into it! It might be a fun experience!!!!!
Yes, I'm more on the mild spectrum. I "get by" by using notes rather than class room lectures or by having someone else relay the information to me at a very close and loud range. I could transfer, yes, but I have worked very very hard at the school I'm at now. I just have to get through one more year and I can graduate Valedictorian. I really appreciate the option, though, thank you!

Yes, I'm more on the mild spectrum. I "get by" by using notes rather than class room lectures or by having someone else relay the information to me at a very close and loud range. I could transfer, yes, but I have worked very very hard at the school I'm at now. I just have to get through one more year and I can graduate Valedictorian. I really appreciate the option, though, thank you!
Oh you still have a year to go before graduation and doing well academicly? Excellent! That's good! Although in passing I know of at least three very academic HOH kids who transferred to TSD in recent years, and they really thrived, both academicly and socially. (it was the same old thing. They thought that they were doing well and then transferred and realized the difference between getting by and thriving....Although you do sound like you're thriving academicly even for a hearing kid!) You may want to contact TSD's outreach to see if they have tips, hints, advice, etc on ways you could use accomondations so you wouldn't have to work so hard. Even a kid who is Harvard bound can still really benefit from accomondations....and the accomondations would make it so you wouldn't have to work so hard. You're probaly working harder then you have to right now. I WOULD look into TSD's summer camp for ASL immersian and Deaf culture. I know HOH kids who have gone there and loved it....My friend Sidney's friend Kolby was VERY oral and a bit resistant to ASL at first, but still loved it....he actually transferred to TSD and finally let down his defenses, and became fluent in ASL. He's now at NTID! There are also other deaf summer camps as well, ranging from state school programs, to religious, to "libral arts" camps, to sports. Here is a listing! https://www.gallaudet.edu/clerc-cen...l-resources-and-directories/summer-camps.html You could check out the Gally camps....those are AMAZING. Plus there's a program specificly for dhh teens to learn ASL! Also check out the NTID programs too!!! Pretty much ALL the deaf camps are HOH/ new signer friendly. Don't be afraid to look into them! ......I think the Deaf camps will give you a social emotional boost that you never even realized you needed!

Back