12 years old boy rescue his siblings from fire

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Boy Says He Felt Like 'Super Hero' For Rescuing Children

The children's parents left for work at about 5 a.m., according to investigators. At 7 a.m., the children were getting ready for school when one of the children smelled smoke. He went upstairs and found smoke and fire on the second floor of the house.

One child called the fire department and got his siblings out of the house. The children are 12, 11, 10 and 6.

"We were getting ready for school and then I smelled (smoke) and then my sister was gonna go get her shoes and then she told me to go see if there was smoke," said Idalia Arriola, 10.

Raul Arriola, 11, was the last one out to the house. He said there was one thing he just couldn't leave behind

"The piggybank. Because we might need it," he said.

Jose Arriola, 12, said afterward he felt like "a super hero" for getting his siblings to safety.

Fire officials estimate the amount of damage to be about $15,000.

The fire battalion chief on site said he didn't expect any charges to be filed against the parents for leaving the children alone.

http://www.theomahachannel.com/news/399587...00461&qs=1;bp=t

Come to share your view and opinion with us here. I'll answer my opinion later.

I saw that news yesterday. Impressive how he saved his sibilings..but leaving home alone is quite another story. I would have asked a neighbor to watch the kids until school bus comes or something. pay someone to watch. I don't know what to say, I did stay by myself at that age of 12...but taking care of sibilings. is a lot of burden to take up on a young kid.....hmmm?

Liebling:-))) said:
Come to share your view and opinion with us here. I'll answer my opinion later.

Wow, that boy is extremely courageous to save his siblings live. Glad, he was not panic or fearful.

I think that's great - this kid is a hero! Good for him. I'm happy that he managed to get his family out of there - :lol: on the piggy bank - I would save mine but I only have pennies. LOL.

That is wonderful news, and sure that 12 yrs old is one brave boy for sure.

Congs. Kid! You did it. :)

I am glad that the children escaped safely, but I have questions about the parents' wisdom in leaving their children alone like that.

As a firefighter, I'm glad that no one was hurt and everyone got out.

1. By making sure 911 was called, the boy made sure that the fire department was on the way.

2. Always tell your kids to GET OUT and STAY OUT! Don't go back inside for anything, not even your piggy bank, your doll, your whatever... they can be replaced but not the kids.

3. Last thing is to make sure everyone goes to a certain spot and STAYS there (like the mailbox or a tree).

I'm not so quick to judge the parents on leaving kids home alone. If it was ALL NIGHT being left home alone, that's one thing...but these days, its hard to get by without two incomes and they probably didn't have much of a choice. I'd prefer to have an adult there but without knowing the full story, I'm not gonna scold the parents.

my suggestion

Is your job worth losing those kids not me I have lost two jobs over my son but he is sure worth it no matter what.And iam doing fine.

harleymn said:
Is your job worth losing those kids not me I have lost two jobs over my son but he is sure worth it no matter what.And iam doing fine.
I know what you mean.

Read what I said again. I said I would prefer to have an adult there but since I don't know the whole story, I'm not going to judge the parents on leaving the kids at 5am.

NeilMcD said:
As a firefighter, I'm glad that no one was hurt and everyone got out.

1. By making sure 911 was called, the boy made sure that the fire department was on the way.

2. Always tell your kids to GET OUT and STAY OUT! Don't go back inside for anything, not even your piggy bank, your doll, your whatever... they can be replaced but not the kids.

3. Last thing is to make sure everyone goes to a certain spot and STAYS there (like the mailbox or a tree).

I'm not so quick to judge the parents on leaving kids home alone. If it was ALL NIGHT being left home alone, that's one thing...but these days, its hard to get by without two incomes and they probably didn't have much of a choice. I'd prefer to have an adult there but without knowing the full story, I'm not gonna scold the parents.

Yes, I´m agree!

Yes, I’m agree that 12 years old is old enough to be mature but…………..

We can’t say anything until we get the side from the parents first.

The questions, I need to know:

How long the parents leave their children like this until that happened?

I need the reason why they trust their 12 years old to take care of his siblings.

I need to know the reason why they go to work by 5 am.

Is it because they feel that their 12 years old is mature enough to look after their children for few hours?

What’s their background?

It depends different humans who are mature enough or not.

I would not leave my children unless they are old enough to be mature.

Accord German law: The children are allow to babysit from 14 years old but it’s parent’s responsible either they can trust their underage children to babysit or not. I saw most children between 10 and 13 years old babysit their siblings. It shown that the parents trust their children’s maturity. It’s parent’s educate decision either they can trust their children or not.

The children can take care themselves only if the parents educate them to do it nor not do it.

There are always happened. It’s not just only children who are senseless with that fire but adult, too!
Forget to blow the candles before go to bed or out.
Leave cigarettes in the rubbish bin (with papers in)
Forget to turn gas or electricity off
Etc etc etc

Well, I was babysat my siblings for few hours in everyday until my step-dad came home from work when I was 9 years old. My mother goes to evening work.

I let my 11 years old son to bake pizza in the oven and fix the sandwiches or boil or fry the eggs, make hot coca for himself and for his 8 years old brother sometimes. He takes care himself and do for his brother that’s time I was ill for 2 days until yesterday. It’s not first time. I’m proud of him and give him praise for that. Of course, my 8 years old son, too for a good boy. It makes them feel good and feel proud that they can handle the "responsible".

Back