What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

It's not so much the fact each cultures have imperfection, but rather the underlying reasons why people bicker. Like Barry Sewell's "Deaf Trash" video, I understood what he was talking about. I just decided not to comment on it since I see it everywhere, and not just isolated to the Deaf culture.

Right, and Deaf culture has its own imperfection, warts and all.

I do not think this is a negative thread whatsoever. It is a thread of for all of us to share our common things that happens to us. We all have advantages and disadvantages. It is neat to see that we are not alone in these things, and fun to talk about them.

Was the "so bitter" comment directed towards me?

This thread itself reflects cause lack or loss of self confidence how bitter person who are not able to hear.

This is how I see in it. I admit that I have never thought of feeling disadvantage not to hear.

Sorry.

Of course, it has nothing to do with directed towards you but thread itself.

This thread itself reflects cause lack or loss of self confidence how bitter person who are not able to hear.

This is how I see in it. I admit that I have never thought of feeling disadvantage not to hear.

Sorry.

I do not feel bitter about my hearing loss but yet I do see some disadvantages. because some one has a disadvantage does not make them bitter.

Sorry.

How is describing disadvantages of being deaf be about lack of self confidence?

Even if you were in a Deaf community there are still disadvantages in being deaf in certain circumstances. Unless you are claiming 100% perfection and that disadvantages do not exist? :hmm:

I see it that there are disadvantages and advantages whether if you're hearing, deaf, hoh, or Deaf. Pointing out the disadvantages does not necessarily mean bitterness but reality.

I do not feel bitter about my hearing loss but yet I do see some disadvantages. because some one has a disadvantage does not make them bitter.

I see disadvantages to being a woman in this society, to being short, to being a single parent....but I don't make them the focus of my existence. That is the difference.

And from what I can see, neither do you. Recognizing that we all have disadvantages is one thing. Pointing them out without any solution to overcoming those disadvantages is another.

I've found bits and pieces of this thread to be very empowering, like TxGolfer's system that has a bed-shaker when someone knocks at the door. I never thought of having such a thing, and now I can see where it might be a good idea.

It's nothing to do with lack of self-confidence or being bitter or anything along those lines; it's about getting some practical ideas to deal with reality.

I've found bits and pieces of this thread to be very empowering, like TxGolfer's system that has a bed-shaker when someone knocks at the door. I never thought of having such a thing, and now I can see where it might be a good idea.

It's nothing to do with lack of self-confidence or being bitter or anything along those lines; it's about getting some practical ideas to deal with reality.

That would be true if it had been titled "Share ways to overcome the disadvantages of being deaf.":cool2: However, that is not the title, nor is it the content of the vast majority of the thread.

That would be true if it had been titled "Share ways to overcome the disadvantages of being deaf.":cool2: However, that is not the title, nor is it the content of the vast majority of the thread.

Well, actually I learned why there was a man at my door showing me sheets of coupons , as TxGolfer knew.

Without this thread, I would still be wondering.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

The disadvantages I stated are facts. Do not deny it and try to be over proud being deaf. Sometimes Im sad that I cant drive a semi truck, school bus, city bus, train and other things that REQUIRE hearing and effective communcation on the job description. It is once again a FACT. The technology today is not efficent enough to keep up with 100% accuracy.

Well, actually I learned why there was a man at my door showing me sheets of coupons , as TxGolfer knew.

Without this thread, I would still be wondering.

And I am sure that it would have caused problems for you for the rest of your life had you not been able to solve that puzzle!:giggle: I'm hearing, and I still don't know why the Mormons keep showing up at my door.

The disadvantages I stated are facts. Do not deny it and try to be over proud being deaf. Sometimes Im sad that I cant drive a semi truck, school bus, city bus, train and other things that REQUIRE hearing and effective communcation on the job description. It is once again a FACT. The technology today is not efficent enough to keep up with 100% accuracy.

Some women just can't meet the qualifications to be a fireperson or to serve on the frontline; some can. Some people don't have the fine motor skills to become a wielder, a dentist or a surgeon. Some people don't have the vision to become a pilot. Some people don't have the calm nerves to be a paramedic. Some Deaf can legally drive semi commercially; some can't. Some will never become a writer or a clerk because of their learning "disability."

Sorry, there's no sympathy here when one considers how many people are not the pinnacle of human evolution, yet somehow still find a niche for themselves.

Not all problems/disadvantages have solutions. Sometimes all I want is the opportunity to say that I find this problem difficult. I'm not expecting it to be solved. Just to know that there are other people who feel the same way as me, or understand my feelings, is empowering in itself. For me, it has been a hugely positive experience to join AD and to share on threads like this. "A problem shared is a problem halved" the proverb goes...:ty:

Some women just can't meet the qualifications to be a fireperson or to serve on the frontline; some can. Some people don't have the fine motor skills to become a wielder, a dentist or a surgeon. Some people don't have the vision to become a pilot. Some people don't have the calm nerves to be a paramedic. Some Deaf can legally drive semi commercially; some can't. Some will never become a writer or a clerk because of their learning "disability."

Sorry, there's no sympathy here when one considers how many people are not the pinnacle of human evolution, yet somehow still find a niche for themselves.

Until technology can ensure those opportunities the facts remain that there are certain jobs whose qualifications require the ability to hear and understand the spoken words. Technology continues to evolve for us.

Not all problems/disadvantages have solutions. Sometimes all I want is the opportunity to say that I find this problem difficult. I'm not expecting it to be solved. Just to know that there are other people who feel the same way as me, or understand my feelings, is empowering in itself. For me, it has been a hugely positive experience to join AD and to share on threads like this. "A problem shared is a problem halved" the proverb goes...:ty:

Oftentimes, realizing that there is no solution is the solution.

Until technology can ensure those opportunities the facts remain that there are certain jobs whose qualifications require the ability to hear and understand the spoken words. Technology continues to evolve for us.

Right. By then, dentists of yore will be complaining robots replaced their genetically steady hands and took their livelihoods away. Planes will be flying themselves. We will all have implants installed to prevent shock syndrome to last us long enough to get to the ER in our own cars. We would be fighting proxy wars with unmanned vehicles.

souggy said:

Thats it.

Hmmmmm. it's not the thread...it's the "poster"...isn't it?....Unfortunately, it's not "your" thread....So, no matter what "he" posts or titles...you're gonna find "fault" with it....nitpicking....:roll:

Back