Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so surprised at this thread, I've read the entire thread, I'll have to say two wrongs do not make it right, Whatever happened to agree to disagree in a civil manner without passing judgment?

It's like walking on eggshell on this thread.

Because, Cheri, this isn't a debate thread; the man asked for advice and got it and somewhere along the way,(according to him) he allowed his disorder to take hold of him.

Because, Cheri, this isn't a debate thread; the man asked for advice and got it and somewhere along the way,(according to him) he allowed his disorder to take hold of him.
I believe that, Do you have any idea what Bipolar could do to a person? It'll make that person shifts in moods, I am not here to pass judgment on him because he has bipolar disorder, all I can really do is be more understanding. My question is why can't some of you be more understanding what a bipolar could do to a person?

I'm so surprised at this thread, I've read the entire thread, I'll have to say two wrongs do not make it right, Whatever happened to agree to disagree in a civil manner without passing judgment?

It's like walking on eggshell on this thread.

Your concern is real, Cheri. The sufferer with manic-depression, now bi-polar disorder, is aware he or she has been to Hell and back. In classic literature, Robert Lewis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jykle and Mr. Hyde is said to have been from a dream Stevenson had, but others believe the author suffered from bi-polar disorder to so accurately describe what its extremes are like.

Good post and analysis, Tousi.

Last edited:
You know what, I'm partly disabled (fairly newly). I have several illnesses that cause my physical energy as well as my emotional situation to rollercoaster, and unluckily for me, there ARE no (legal) medications for my disability. I just get to feel awful most of the time and just have to push through work when things get bad. I have been an interpreter and a teacher with this disease and NO ONE KNOWS except my boss, so I never, ever get to use it as an excuse.

When I say or do unpleasant things due to my being under the influence of a bad day for my disability, my apology to whomever (99% of the time it's my husband) does not include "it was the illness, it wasn't me." Yes, the illness put me in a position to say and do unfortunate things. I still did them myself, and I take full responsibility for them.

I wrote, I thought, a compassionate and thoughtful post responding to AB's request for info about health insurance in general chat. No response. AB asked straight out "should I be an interpreter" which I had answered in that post. Ignored, apparently. All this being the case I am with Etoile here. I don't have the patience to mollycoddle someone who I believe has proven himself to be in no position to be an effective interpreter; nor do I, any longer, have the energy to be positive with people who abdicate personal responsibility, illness or no illness.

And before you tell me I don't know about BPD, I used to work on a crisis hotline and spoke regularly to many, many people with BPD and other mental illnesses, both on and off their meds.

I believe that, Do you have any idea what Bipolar could do to a person? It'll make that person shifts in moods, I am not here to pass judgment on him because he has bipolar disorder, all I can really do is be more understanding. My question is why can't some of you be more understanding what a bipolar could do to a person?
Oh believe me, I know what bipolar disorder (BPD) can do to a person. I used to live with someone with BPD. I used to go with her to get tattoos during her manic phases, and I took her to the mental hospital in the middle of the night during her depressive phases. I know what BPD can do to a person. Don't accuse me of needing to "be more understanding" - if you've really read the whole thread, you'll see that it is more than BPD at work here. And even if it was just the BPD - like Interpretrator said, you have to have some personal responsibility. I have my own mental illness that makes me act funny, and when I realize I'm letting it affect my online personality, I get the hell off the internet.

I had a feeling I was going to get lashed out at for placing an opinion, a honest one, I said all I had to say, I'm not looking for a fight, I'm leaving this thread. :ty:

I had a feeling I was going to get lashed out at for placing an opinion, a honest one, I said all I had to say, I'm not looking for a fight, I'm leaving this thread. :ty:
What, we can't have a genuine discussion on the internet? You just state your piece and then when people disagree with you, you run away?

It appears, to my utter surprise, that a good size group on AD memebers want me to stay. They do not favor me leaving. And it also looks like that most of those who have protesting my absence are also deaf or hoh. At least that’s my observation.

Their voice is much more valuable (to me) than that of a hearing person. So let’s all make a final vote on the matter: Click here.

Sorry, Cheri, my post was not written specifically to you or even really to AquaBlue. It was a fervently written opinion. I'm sorry you felt I lashed out at you.

I'm utterly surprised Alphablue is utterly surprised that most folks in discussion forums would want someone sparking discussions to leave.

It's kind of why we're all here.

I looked hard and can't find the specific request. So, good deal, it appears that you're staying.

What some are telling me...

• Hey don't leave cause of a few members here.
  • Yeah, don't leave just because we have different opinions than yours. You have the right to use this forum to make the post.
  • Learn how to ignore those stupid cockroaches in one thread. I faced that problem in the past, and I moved on. Most of Internet users do not care about you, because they don't know you, and they never met you. They could bash you as hell….
  • Just ignore it and stay here on with us.
  • You didn't do anything wrong here. Come on, do stay please.
  • Aquablue, don't leave on the count of some bad post or whatever. Be strong!
  • Everyone has their own opinion about whatever reason they feel that they want to express.
  • Simple ignore those people who tried to bully, upset or whatever to you and positive yourself and will know that they are nothing...
  • I do think that some of the comments on that thread, although they probably did not mean to, DID come accross as a little discouraging, from my point of view.

What some are telling me...

• I do think that some of the comments on that thread, although they probably did not mean to, DID come accross as a little discouraging, from my point of view.

Whether it's discouraging or not, It is not meant to put you down in any way. Some time there will be a strong statement that possibly could throw you out of the loop and seemly negative. However, It can be good in a sense because it will show you to think out of the box or otherwise, it will only seem like things are far off worse when it really isn't.

What I am saying is - No matter how harsh the views are, It is only up to you to tread it lightly or to take it seriously. It is just like as if someone tells you one thing and other one tells you a different thing. To make a choice, you need to take a step back and to analyze where it has veered off the path. With that it will help you see the light better.

So, with that - Try not to think far ahead and take a little step from time to time to get where you are at now. I hope that'll help.

I think I might be warming-up (minutely) to restarting my personal ASL study. That desire, today, is very weak for I am not allowing my heart to conquer my mind. Logic is more important to me than desire.

The only injustice expressed in current replies, is that my actions were totally my fault- that I could of control myself somehow. Every person here has the right to think as they choose. I can’t help that. It is obvious that such ones have never experience bipolar before, which is a good thing because I would not ever wish such an illness on my very worse enemy. But what can I do?

Regardless, I am looking back at my ASL resources and wanting to continue my progress. Let’s see how I feel tomorrow.

From past posts, you know that I am not a Bible man but an Agnostic. Now there was a time in my life where the reverse was true. I was addicted to God and the Bible. Today with my unspiritual stance, I still would recall all of my earlier knowledge of the Bible and apply its wisdom as best I can in my thinking and in my actions. Why am I saying all this?

Well it has to do with teaching if you can believe it. You see Jesus was an exceptional teacher. From his example, as a teacher, we gain much insight.

Jesus was also known as the Shepherd (or teacher *) of his flock (his sheep-like followers). In Jesus’ teaching manner we discover that effective instruction comes through tenderness and patience.

To illustrate, a shepherd, in order to keep his sheep from straying (both in mind and body), would use a staff. You would think that such a "shepherd" would forcefully keep his herd in line by using that rod harshly- striking it, wheeling it, and so forth.

The paramount fact here is that Jesus used that rod in a much more effective way. Jesus would gently nudge his followers (using his staff) in the right direction- always with heart-felt concern, personal interest, forgiveness, and deep love.

That is wisdom. So when someone comes to me and wants my advice or instruction (an honor, yes), I would use Jesus (my teaching model) because his manner is nothing less than pure wisdom- always effective and humane.

* The word Messiah also means Teacher. And if I remember correctly Jesus was also know as the Great Teacher.

The only injustice expressed in current replies, is that my actions were totally my fault- that I could of control myself somehow. Every person here has the right to think as they choose. I can’t help that. It is obvious that such ones have never experience bipolar before, which is a good thing because I would not ever wish such an illness on my very worse enemy. But what can I do?

What's so horrible about accepting what you typed as your actions? I assume you were the one at the keyboard? Accept it, "yeah, i typed that stuff, but now I think differently". And move on from there. Being responsible for your actions is not about blame and fault, it's about having the ability to respond (response-ablity) to what's happening.

From the bulleted list above, it looks like you have some support here. Remember that.

And also (sorry), if Jesus did not apply the wisdom mentioned above, his flock would scatter off or drift away from the path. So everything a teacher does/say affects his/her students in one-way or another. Teaching requires great responsibility because you can either influence or detour the learner from doing the right thing.

Take note of what I am saying please.

What's so horrible about accepting what you typed as your actions? I assume you were the one at the keyboard? Accept it, "yeah, i typed that stuff, but now I think differently". And move on from there. Being responsible for your actions is not about blame and fault, it's about having the ability to respond (response-ablity) to what's happening.

From the bulleted list above, it looks like you have some support here. Remember that.

Because I was not totally responsible Darmah…not totally: Only partially. That’s why.

You know that there are laws that protect individuals who commit horrible crimes (like murder) to receive much lighter sentences because of their momentary insanity- the insanity defense. Those ones are not held completely accountable for there actions because of insanity. It’s true.

Now for those who may say that a bipolar episode is not insanity, I would insist that you alter your thinking. Such episodes (swings) are nothing less than insanity. Just look at the chaos brought about by my harsh words. And that was a very mild episode too- not close (by a mile) to a full fledge event.

A bipolar person goes from sanity, to a manic state, to a dark mood (depression) in a short time. If that is not insanity I do not know what is. And to say that such a person is completely responsible for his/her actions is ludicrous and unjust. Just ask a judge of law.

This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen. Don't expect to see me around AD for a while, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back