Stand-up airline seats unveiled

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Stand-up airline seats unveiled - Seven News Queensland

The first images of new stand-up seats for commercial aircrafts have been unveiled.

Italian aircraft interior design firm Avioninteriors has offered a glimpse into their controversial invention, deemed the SkyRider, in the lead-up to the Aircraft Interiors Expo Americas conference next week.

The SkyRider's introduction follows Ryanair's announcement this year that the budget airline was planning to offer standing room on their planes for even cheaper ticket prices.

Avioninteriors is expected to attract attention from airlines looking to increase the number of seats in the economy class sections of planes, apparently without compromising on comfort.

Critics have weighed in on the new design, saying it has now created a new low for travel discomfort and have labelled it "cattle class".

The seat, shaped like a saddle with a slight downward slope, offers a semi-standing position for passengers.

Allowing for more semi-standing seats to be crammed into a cabin will generally mean less room for passengers.

The seats will be fixed with just 58 centimetres of legroom between them and the seat in front, which is 17 centimetres less than the current average seat distance.

Gee, another way to penalise people. I wouldn't shell out for this 'stand up seat' ticket. :ugh:

pics of the seats

500x_seats10x-large2.jpg

I Don't Ever Want To Sit On These SkyRider Airplane Seats

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Looks uncomfortable and Ill pass on that one. I don't wanna be treated like a cattle in a farm.

if you wanna cram more people, why not have lying down beds? stack them up?

It look way uncomfortable! I'll be very cranky and restless on a whole flight. So no thanks..I'll stick with full price seat!

the pic kinda reminds me of roller coaster rides - ok for short bursts of fun, not so hot for long travel time, dealing with luggage, bathroom, etc. Looks very awkward and stressful to be stuck like that for any extended period.
yuck...

They might be ok for short hops of an hour or less.....

the pic kinda reminds me of roller coaster rides - ok for short bursts of fun, not so hot for long travel time, dealing with luggage, bathroom, etc. Looks very awkward and stressful to be stuck like that for any extended period.
yuck...

Maybe they will add in the feature to go to the bathroom RIGHT in the seat. Eliminate bathrooms. No need to get up.

I think its good for chinese airlines, not here. We have too many obese people.

:shock:ooohhh, bathroom right in the seat....

hand out camp-style waste elimination pouches to every passenger,nobody better eat much....

...though, maybe with the majority of airline food, that wouldn't be so hard....:hmm:

The article offered a good description of the stand up seats and it's something I wouldn't elect for myself even if it were offered for a cheaper airline fare. I've recently developed some back issues and would think that standing for long periods of time would only exacerbate a person's pain level. I also wonder how a person could be protected safely in the event of a plane crash. I imagine there would be a potential for increased bodily injury due to the way in which these seats are configured. Thanks, but no thanks.

...though, maybe with the majority of airline food, that wouldn't be so hard....:hmm:

I get take out from inside the airport and take it on the plane usually :)

I think I would prefer to stand rather than ride in coach anyway....that's just me.

:shock:ooohhh, bathroom right in the seat....

hand out camp-style waste elimination pouches to every passenger,nobody better eat much....

LOL. Given how awful airline food tastes in the first place, I don't think that should be a problem. <grin>

:wave:HA :D .... yeah, safety in that position in a crash that is something to wonder about - and don't they want you to sit down anyway when there is turbulence <"attention passengers, due to the turbulence we are experiencing, please take your seats....." > :hmm:

TX -good plan, in the past I've taken stuff from home usually.

That's just awful. I wish they would bring back trains.

Gee, another way to penalise people. I wouldn't shell out for this 'stand up seat' ticket. :ugh:

Miss Delectable - I'm somewhat confused about your comment. What do you mean by penalizing people for this? This cattle class is great for people who want to fly it dirt-cheap and they'd do it.

Looks uncomfortable and Ill pass on that one. I don't wanna be treated like a cattle in a farm.

cowboys have been riding like this for thousands of years. we'll be fine :)

:wave:HA :D .... yeah, safety in that position in a crash that is something to wonder about - and don't they want you to sit down anyway when there is turbulence <"attention passengers, due to the turbulence we are experiencing, please take your seats....." > :hmm:

TX -good plan, in the past I've taken stuff from home usually.

I'm sure "stand-up" seat will have belt.

Skyrider 'saddle' plane seats launched at Aircraft Interiors Expo Americas | Mail Online

a little more detail about this "saddle" seat.

article-1311623-0B2ABA97000005DC-830_306x423.jpg

standing-seats2.jpg

The Skyrider is to make its debut at the Aircraft Interiors Expo Americas conference in Long Beach, California and is styled on saddles used by cowboys in the Wild West - the makers claim you can sit on a horse for long periods of time and not feel discomfort.

'For flights anywhere from one to possibly even up to three hours this would be comfortable seating,' he adds. 'The seat is like a saddle. Cowboys ride eight hours on their horses during the day and still feel comfortable in the saddle.'

Passengers would pay less to sit in an area of the cabin installed with the seats.

I don't see anything wrong with this. Beside - even on "sit-down" seats on long flights... you'll have a risk of deep vein thrombosis

Back