Stand-up airline seats unveiled

If you fly this for many hours, your legs will look like cowboy type legs;

2cgj6dv.jpg

:D

Seriously, is it safe for passengers when plane crash? I'm curious what is their safe procedure? When seating, your face must meet your knees. What about standing? :hmm:

Seriously, is it safe for passengers when plane crash? I'm curious what is their safe procedure? When seating, your face must meet your knees. What about standing? :hmm:

what's the difference anyway? they die :aw:

:eek3:
Nothing is safe anymore.

ok - I'll explain. here's why we have to face down to our thighs in case of emergency during flight. You are wearing a waist belt. It only keeps you on the seat but your entire torso is unsecured so what happens upon impact or during violent turbulence? Your entire torso will violently drop forward, backward, sideway repeatedly. You will knock out your seat neighbor too.

That's why the cars have 3-points belt but it has its serious flaw - the belt across your torso can crush your ribs and damage your vital organs (heart + lung) or even crush your esophagus if worn improperly.... hence the airbags to compensate for it. The tow pound guy told me a bunch of accident stories.

For optimal safety - 5-points belt is preferable (aka H-belt)... which is why baby seat uses it. It's commonly supplemented by a pair of "wing flap" things on the side to keep your head in place.

In commercial jet - passengers use waist belt for practical and simplicity reason. The commercial airline accident record is impeccable so there's no need for H-belt. But the pilots use 5-points belts. So do flight attendants, I believe. So for this standing seats - I believe they will use H-belt.

Looks like you could jog in place on these seats, :lol:

ok - I'll explain. here's why we have to face down to our thighs in case of emergency during flight. You are wearing a waist belt. It only keeps you on the seat but your entire torso is unsecured so what happens upon impact or during violent turbulence? Your entire torso will violently drop forward, backward, sideway repeatedly. You will knock out your seat neighbor too.

That's why the cars have 3-points belt but it has its serious flaw - the belt across your torso can crush your ribs and damage your vital organs (heart + lung) or even crush your esophagus if worn improperly.... hence the airbags to compensate for it. The tow pound guy told me a bunch of accident stories.

For optimal safety - 5-points belt is preferable (aka H-belt)... which is why baby seat uses it. It's commonly supplemented by a pair of "wing flap" things on the side to keep your head in place.

In commercial jet - passengers use waist belt for practical and simplicity reason. The commercial airline accident record is impeccable so there's no need for H-belt. But the pilots use 5-points belts. So do flight attendants, I believe. So for this standing seats - I believe they will use H-belt.

H-belt is better choice or they can use roller coaster type seat belts.

p13879.jpg

lol I don't think anybody wants their mobility to be very limited w/ that roller coaster harness :lol: but yea - you just showed a perfect example that standing is as safe as sitting down.

but problem with H-belt is that majority of people can't figure out how to use it properly and it's cumbersome to use it :|

interesting points about the belts, Jiro:)

but I'm wondering....with the cowboys and riding for long periods, considering if they do that routinely as their livelihood, then they would be used to it - not so much for average airline passenger. and with the cowboys, they can get on and off, are often riding in open, rural areas - un-cramped. Am not sure it's the same in this airline scenario:hmm:

interesting points about the belts, Jiro:)

but I'm wondering....with the cowboys and riding for long periods, considering if they do that routinely as their livelihood, then they would be used to it - not so much for average airline passenger. and with the cowboys, they can get on and off, are often riding in open, rural areas - un-cramped. Am not sure it's the same in this airline scenario:hmm:

they said this standing chair is designed for short flights - up to 3 hours so we'll worry about long flights later :)

but remember - you are not actually standing.. there is a seat support to help you stand comfortably. This is actually good for your back. If I remember correctly - most of lower-back problems occur more to those who sit than those who stand because when sitting - the joint at where spine and pelvis bone meet gets about 60% of pressure on it. When standing - it's about 20-40% (I hope I'm correct about that :aw: )

At some workforce, some people prefer to stand to work on their tall desks ("standing desk" or sit on exercise ball or sit on "knee" chair. (Donald Rumsfeld used the standing desk)

Stand Up While You Read This! - NYTimes.com

*sighs* That's why I am so jealous of Japan's train/subway system. So effective, comfortable, and fast.

After 15 hours of trip to Japan, I think I am gonna try my best to save money for business seat rather than economy seat because of how very uncomfortable it is. Now they took it step backward even more...

Ouch.

(I miss trains in Japan....T_T)

No way. if you are cowboy or cowgirl, you can be comfortable to stand-up seat. no problem.

if you wanna cram more people, why not have lying down beds? stack them up?

I agree, it should be doing like that. Seen from Fifth Element. Don't mind to lay down and sleep without trouble. But negative, there may be no room to read book that vary people's arms would goes sleep.

*sighs* That's why I am so jealous of Japan's train/subway system. So effective, comfortable, and fast.

After 15 hours of trip to Japan, I think I am gonna try my best to save money for business seat rather than economy seat because of how very uncomfortable it is. Now they took it step backward even more...

Ouch.

(I miss trains in Japan....T_T)

It's because Japan is small country, can afford. US mainland? It's too frickin big and there is no way we could go cross to Alaska or Hawaii. Think again.

I agree, it should be doing like that. Seen from Fifth Element. Don't mind to lay down and sleep without trouble. But negative, there may be no room to read book that vary people's arms would goes sleep.

iPad screen on ceiling

It's because Japan is small country, can afford. US mainland? It's too frickin big and there is no way we could go cross to Alaska or Hawaii. Think again.

sure we can but nobody's upgrading because people are not demanding for it.

Back