otspvideos

Reaction score
heres some links
Super Bowl Sunday Pepsi Commercial at Bob's - Yahoo! Video
YouTube - Super Bowl Sunday Pepsi Commercial at Bob's House
Pepsi USA - Bob's House

Amid the wall-to-wall sound during next Sunday's Super
Bowl, one commercial from PepsiCo could send some viewers grabbing for
their remotes to check whether they'd accidentally hit the mute button.
The pre-game advertisement features a joke that originates from the deaf
community and will play out on screen over 60 seconds of total silence,
a veritable eternity when it comes to the noisiness of Super Bowl ads.

Last edited:
Pepsi USA - Bob's House

Amid the wall-to-wall sound during next Sunday's Super
Bowl, one commercial from PepsiCo could send some viewers grabbing for
their remotes to check whether they'd accidentally hit the mute button.
The pre-game advertisement features a joke that originates from the deaf
community and will play out on screen over 60 seconds of total silence,
a veritable eternity when it comes to the noisiness of Super Bowl ads.

I've already seen!
Willl look forward next couples week and will appear on tv commercials.

Pepsi's new Super Bowl Ad

[yt]ffrq6cUoE5A[/yt]

If this is a repost, kindly remove this post or merge it. either way works.

That is amazing to have the first commercial to have a ASL and Deaf people. It is about time that we are in it as Deaf individuals. I am very happy to see that so thank you for the video. I caught my eye on the msn about Pepsi's new super bowl ad less than half an hour ago. I hope we will have more of the silence on the commercial so that hearing people will not get confuse why there is no sound. They will get the taste of their own medicine of what is like to have no sounds at all like honking the horn and the barking of the dogs plus the Deaf are signing to each other trying to find Bob's house. That is really interesting. lol :giggle:

Yeah, I got an email from NAD about this. I'm happy to see it is going to air at a time when so many people will see it!

PepsiCo Brings Silent Ad to Super Bowl

PepsiCo Brings Silent Ad to Super Bowl

If a television commercial airs on Super Bowl Sunday and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

(Photo: Newscom Search )

On Sunday, February 3, television viewers will be checking their volume controls when PepsiCo airs a 60-second commercial filmed in American Sign Language (ASL), with open-captioned text for the benefit of all viewers. The spot was created by and features PepsiCo employees who are members of EnAble, an employee network whose mission is to promote a more inclusive environment for people with disabilities. Slated to air on the pre-game show on FOX, the commercial features Pepsi-Cola and Lay's Potato Chips, but its real mission is to bring awareness of the American deaf community to a wider audience. PepsiCo also will sponsor the closed captioning of FOX's entire Super Bowl broadcast.

"The outpouring of support for this ad, both internally and externally, has been overwhelming," said Clay Broussard, PepsiCo employee and project lead on Bob's House. "This is one way we can give back through what we call Performance with Purpose. It's part of a larger effort to make PepsiCo the defining corporation of the 21st century. By bringing the world an ad performed by deaf employees in ASL, we feel like we've already scored the upset on Super Bowl Sunday."

Broussard and a handful of PepsiCo employees, each with their own personal connection to the American deaf community, set off to create a commercial with a deaf focus and broad appeal. Despite having little or no experience in advertising, the group came up with the concept, wrote the script, and then acted it out, sharing a demo tape with their colleagues. The demo tape generated internal buzz and quickly gained support from PepsiCo senior management, which immediately saw the commercial's potential and decided it needed a big stage. Naturally, they chose the biggest stage possible - Super Bowl Sunday.

Broussard appears in the commercial along with PepsiCo colleagues Sheri Christianson, Darren Therriault and Brian Dowling. Titled "Bob's House," the theme is based on a popular joke in the deaf community. PepsiCo also consulted with the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) to ensure the message was on target.

"The NAD applauds PepsiCo for its strong commitment to diversity and creation of this exciting ad in ASL with its employees. This ground-breaking ad will heighten cultural awareness by millions of viewers during Super Bowl Sunday," said Bobbie Beth Scoggins, president of the NAD.

The commercial opens with two friends (Therriault and Dowling) driving together in a car at night, on the way to their friend Bob's house to watch a football game. They are stopped on a suburban street where all the houses are dark, with no porch lights or inside lights on. The driver (Dowling) is not sure which house is their friend's. Communicating in ASL, the two friends blame each other for not knowing Bob's house number. Suddenly, the driver has an idea. He begins honking the horn repeatedly as he slowly drives down the block. Instantly, lights flash on in all of the houses except one - Bob's - the only house unaffected by the noise.

"Bob's House" was produced by Harvest and directed by the company's co- founder, award-winning director Baker Smith. It came to life thanks to the cooperation of BBDO-NY, which supported the idea and agreed to create the commercial for no profit, and OMD, which secured a valuable pre-game time slot and accepted no commission for its efforts.

To see the commercial and a "making of" the video, visit Pepsi USA - Bob's House.

I just saw an article about the comercial this morning in the area paper!! Finally!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!

That is great,It`s about time. now I got to go to the store and buy more PEPSI lol

KFC.gif

I think this is great but there are a few small problems.

1) it may perpetuate the stereotype that deaf people are jerks.

2) the braille font under the word "enable" in the new pepsi logo will only perpetuate the belief that deaf people read braille. (I suppose getting asked of we read braille is just part of Deaf culture)

3) Will they have descriptive audio service for the blind on the SAP audio channel?? Sure they make a great point with the silence but blind people drink pepsi too.

i saw that when my sister forward this video and it is awesome
unfortunely i am not pepsi drinker LMAO

but it is awesome anyway

That is amazing to have the first commercial to have a ASL and Deaf people. It is about time that we are in it as Deaf individuals. I am very happy to see that so thank you for the video. I caught my eye on the msn about Pepsi's new super bowl ad less than half an hour ago. I hope we will have more of the silence on the commercial so that hearing people will not get confuse why there is no sound. They will get the taste of their own medicine of what is like to have no sounds at all like honking the horn and the barking of the dogs plus the Deaf are signing to each other trying to find Bob's house. That is really interesting. lol :giggle:

it's not first. there is other ads with deaf involved, quiet time ago.

and yet, I know that joking is very old I hear from 1996. I'm surprise that story carry around for long time.

I don't know about the stereotype that deaf people are jerks. Of course, "jerk" may have different connotations for different people.

However, I am familiar with the idea that the deaf are somehow "slow," possibly even "retarded" (perhaps because it takes us longer to understand the rapid babble of a group of hearing people talking over each other).

I think the old joke of honking to wake hearies and get them to turn on their lights not only shows humor in its reversal of roles, but also will show intelligence that may make some hearing people stop and think.

It'll be interesting to see the results.

Joe, you are so right that many people tend to lump deafness and blindness. Almost every blind person I know tells me how people shout so the blind person can "see" better, ha ha ha.

Once my deaf sister and I were signing as we waited to cross a street in San Francisco. Some lady smiled and remarked she was so glad the lights now made sounds so we could tell when to cross. Sis and I just stared at each other, then broke into giggles. Okay, we were deaf, but how much worse would it be if we were as stupid as she was?

Back