New "MSSD/Bilingual High School" to comprise deaf, HOH, & hearing students

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to want to play the victim and erroneously accuse me of having being banned this week for whatever purpose that serves, but this thread isn't about you and your campaign to insult and ban people -- it's about MSSD and the proposed change to its structure and implications for the future of deaf Ed.

Is the new model for deaf Ed that Gallaudet is proposing a sign-oral hybrid? A mainstream environment of deaf, hoh, and local hearing students with both ASL and spoken English as equal means of instruction and student interaction? Would this mean co-teachers using both modes or interpreters in all classes interpreting to whatever language is not in use by the teacher? How will this model affect access? Can immersion be achieved in this environment?

Maybe this topic is something you want to ignore, hoping it will go away, but trolling the thread won't stop it. Discussing it and potentially taking action might have a constructive effect.

The bolded is a very good question.

I don't believe you at all... All I have to say is: Money.

That isn't a response.

When a deaf child is mainstreamed without Deaf ed services, their test scores are not "flagged" as deaf, so they aren't counted in the statistics.

Ok, here is my response.

Kids who are mainstreamed and not receiving "Deaf ed" services are not counted by those statistics. Those stats only reflect the kids who are being counted as deaf through those special ed departments, either because they use ASL and have an interpreter or because they are behind and have an IEP. It does not count the kids who are mainstreamed without those services because they are not categorized as deaf. They are counted as regular ed (ie hearing) when they are given the tests.

That's right they are not counted in those stats. The studies I recall regarding reading levels either deal with deaf schools/programs or do not include deaf mainstream students not receiving services.
Rick

Where are you getting this information? What percentage of Clarke's graduates transfer to ASL Deaf schools?

Deafguy25,

You will learn if you stay around that she has no facts and statistics. She just makes it up as she goes along and the chorus nods in approval so it must be true. Right?

Rick

That isn't a response.

When a deaf child is mainstreamed without Deaf ed services, their test scores are not "flagged" as deaf, so they aren't counted in the statistics.

You don't see my point but thats ok. You're special, right?

I never discuss my child on this forum. Grendel should have warned you of that too. :cool2:

I have never spoken to Grendel, though she sent me a private message welcoming me (several members have). But, you already are discussing your child in the post that I quoted.

You don't see my point but thats ok. You're special, right?

You asked a question about reading levels with deaf students, I responded. I explained the facts regarding mainstreaming and deaf student scores. You simply ignore the information.

I don't believe you at all... All I have to say is: Money.

deaf guy is right, and it cuts both ways. If I'm trying to assess how kids with CIs are doing in different placements, I can't do it using those same stats you and others post every so often, which are used by Gallaudet to say that 11th and 12th grade deaf/hoh kids scores used to measure literacy fall at the level of an average hearing 4th grader. Because they don't include many deaf/hoh kids with CIs, HAs, or those who aren't using technologies to hear if they aren't either in deaf schools (bi-bi, tc, or oral) or using the modified tests provided by special ed depts. I value those stats, but unfortunately, they exclude a large number of deaf kids.

Last edited:
I never discuss my child on this forum. Grendel should have warned you of that too. :cool2:

Since he's referred to me as his character reference on this topic, I'll answer: PFH likes to claim credibility as a parent of a deaf child, occasionally discusses his child on the forum, and frequently quizzes and assails other parents on their placement decisions, but is apparently uncomfortable with being asked the same question he asks of every other parent :hmm: . Don't know what's that's all about, but there you have it. He must like you. When I asked, in direct response to his own mention of his child as being culturally Deaf, he wigged out and has accused me of probing and lying ever since. Now, he follows me everywhere and glowers meanly, but never calls, doesn't leave me flowers :tears:.

Grendel,

Very funny, perhaps he will send you a dozen Forget Me Nots! :)

Where did you get that I hate Deaf schools? Did I ever say anything like that? Why would I want to become a teacher of the Deaf if I hate schools for deaf kids? I didn't attend a Deaf school growing up, for many reasons, but why would that mean I hate them? If it is true that 80% of Deaf school graduates are unable to read and write, something huge needs to change. Is that your experience at your school? Are the high school kids that far behind?

What prompted you to want to become a TOD? Are you currently in school for it?
Rick

Since he's referred to me as his character reference on this topic, I'll answer: PFH likes to claim credibility as a parent of a deaf child, occasionally discusses his child on the forum, and frequently quizzes and assails other parents on their placement decisions, but is apparently uncomfortable with being asked the same question he asks of every other parent :hmm: . Don't know what's that's all about, but there you have it. He must like you. When I asked, in direct response to his own mention of his child as being culturally Deaf, he wigged out and has accused me of probing and lying ever since. Now, he follows me everywhere and glowers meanly, but never calls, doesn't leave me flowers :tears:.

He said straight out that he would send his child to MSSD over mainstreaming, "no question" so, since MSSD takes out of state boarders and is therefore an option for any Deaf child in the US, his deaf child must be in a different Deaf school. Otherwise, he would choose to send his child to MSSD instead of mainstreaming them locally.

What prompted you to want to become a TOD? Are you currently in school for it?
Rick

So many reasons! I want to be a role model for other deaf kids. I grew up with a Deaf family, but most deaf kids don't get that. I want to show them that they can be whatever they want to be. I feel like I have the best of both worlds and who better to teach deaf kids than someone who used to be one :wave:

He said straight out that he would send his child to MSSD over mainstreaming, "no question" so, since MSSD takes out of state boarders and is therefore an option for any Deaf child in the US, his deaf child must be in a different Deaf school. Otherwise, he would choose to send his child to MSSD instead of mainstreaming them locally.

He lives nowhere near MSSD. He can send his child to any school in his home state, even the deaf school is closer. You're reading the question out of context. If you're given a choice of "MSSD or mainstream school" I totally see why he's picking MSSD, especially if the 3rd option isn't even included to send his child to a deaf school in his home state.

Do you need flowers? :roll:

He lives nowhere near MSSD. He can send his child to any school in his home state, even the deaf school is closer. You're reading the question out of context. If you're given a choice of "MSSD or mainstream school" I totally see why he's picking MSSD, especially if the 3rd option isn't even included to send his child to a deaf school in his home state. :roll:

But any parent of a deaf child in the US does have the option of MSSD. So either the parent can:

1. Send their child to the local or state Deaf school
2. Board their child at MSSD
3. Mainstream their child

And since PFH says that he would send his child to MSSD over mainstreaming "hands down", and his child is not at MSSD, that must mean that his child is in a different, closer Deaf school.

(Or perhaps the child is too young to attend MSSD. But, still, Kendall could replace MSSD and the result would be the same.)

But any parent of a deaf child in the US does have the option of MSSD. So either the parent can:

1. Send their child to the local or state Deaf school
2. Board their child at MSSD
3. Mainstream their child

And since PFH says that he would send his child to MSSD over mainstreaming "hands down", and his child is not at MSSD, that must mean that his child is in a different, closer Deaf school.

(Or perhaps the child is too young to attend MSSD. But, still, Kendall could replace MSSD and the result would be the same.)

EXACTLY !!! Was PFH ever given Option #1 by Grendel ? NOOOOOOOO.

Id prefer the deaf or hearing teachers who signs rather than the interpreters and I had teachers sign with school in the past.

Of course! Hearing kids arent restricted in an signing environment just like deaf kids are restricted in a non-signing environent. It is a win-win situation for both.

EXACTLY !!! Was PFH ever given Option #1 by Grendel ? NOOOOOOOO.

I am not involved in whatever fight was happening between the two of them. I was simply asking what Deaf school his child attends. Since he says that he would choose MSSD over mainstreaming, that means his child must be in a Deaf school since the child is not boarding at MSSD.

I am not involved in whatever fight was happening between the two of them. I was simply asking what Deaf school his child attends. Since he says that he would choose MSSD over mainstreaming, that means his child must be in a Deaf school since the child is not boarding at MSSD.

oh. I feel sorry for these who think in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back